Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 PM

28 posts, read 40,083 times

Advertisements

Do you think the debt and unemployment, no hope for my generation and all, the world will ever be on a mostly positive trail again in regards to politics, culture and so on? Or is my generation in a catch 22 that we live short or live our full lives, but suffer for the rest of them at our parent's faults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,656 times
Not even close to "over", whatever you meant by that. Our best and most prosperous days lay ahead of us, but we are going to have to dredge through a pile of s**t you can't even imagine to get there.

We are addicted to debt spending, and like all addicts, for any hope of recovery, we have to hit rock-bottom and want to fix this.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
I can't answer that but things have not been so great since '99.
There have been rays of hope periodically but really been in the can the past few and going downhill from there.

I have less money now than when I made $10/hr. less.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM

I mean primarily during my lifetime. I'm young and I would like to see the debt be payed off by my lifetime. Or, is it possible we don't need it completely erradicated to be in good shape?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
None of us has ever seen this before in our lifetimes.

Things always are cyclical but this is more like a looooong spiral.
There is a lot of damage that will take a very long time to heal.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpa View Post
I mean primarily during my lifetime. I'm young and I would like to see the debt be payed off by my lifetime. Or, is it possible we don't need it completely erradicated to be in good shape?
It's all about ratios... Debt is fine, as long as you aren't floating a deficit. And when the deficit is as massive as ours, that makes debt very dangerous.

I think you will see a discontinuance of the dollar as our currency replaced by a new fiat currency before you will ever see 16+ trillion in debt payed back.

The pace of the debt is speeding as I type this, with little to nothing waiting to stop it.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM

Yes, a world currency is what also kind of puts me at unease. I'd be fine if it was a non-world currency though so I am not opposed to the idea of currency being replaced itself. And all the dependence on technology we got is beyond our healing, right? I know, this is getting a bit off-topic on this subforum.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM

It wouldn't necessarily be a world currency, just a replacement currency.

Just by the nature of our monetary system, when we saddle the dollar with this amount of debt, the dollar starts to oppress the economy, thus making it that much more impossible to correct.

This is what happens when you get reckless with a currency that is backed by nothing more than faith.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 PM

510 posts, read 430,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpa View Post
It's more complicated than just debt. The spirit of Free Enterprise, rule of law and (non-PC)intellectual freedom have to survive for anything to get better because these are ultimately the things that have historically allowed our economy to grow faster than in places like France and Mexico.

Your generation has been taught to fear and loath free enterprise by the communist(cold war)-influenced '60s generation now in charge of the schools and the culture. Remember this every time Jon Stewart mocks a CEO or smirks at Papa John's for raising the price of pizza to pay for Obamacare regs. You're laughing at your own miserable economic future.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
EMO kid is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies