Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:03 AM

179 posts, read 304,146 times

Advertisements

THis is mainly for argument's sake - I don't condone any hypothetical situations I raise in this post. I just want to hear and understand the other side of the abortion issue, with me being opposed to it. I took a while to write this so please let's discuss civilly. Here goes:

A mentally retarded person is a dysfunctional, sometimes underdeveloped, human being. So why shouldn't we kill them if we want to? What makes them people? There are some mentally handicapped people that are so severe that they are in a walker or wheelchair their entire lives and don't even speak - very analogous to how we define a fetus. What is human about them? That is essentially the same thing as an animal. They suck up a lot of tax money and are a burden for people as well. So why shouldn't we take them behind a chemical shed and shoot them? It might not be pleasant, but we could just pay people to do it so they make a profit off of it.

We can easily keep them from feeling pain too. If shooting them behind a chemical shed is ruled out as too vulgar (they are dysfunctional/underdeveloped anyway), then we would put them to sleep in a hospital and inject poison in their veins to kill them. They wouldn't feel a thing.

Given that both fetuses and mentally retarded people are severely lacking what the norm is for sophisticated brain functions, I don't see why killing one should be legalized and killing the other shouldn't be. If anything, maintaining the lives of mentally retarded people is far more cumbersome since they are parasitic to society, whereas a fetus is always potentially productive.

Another thing I don't understand is that why has abortion become such a women's issue? It takes two to make a baby. What if my future girlfriend gets impregnated by accident and doesn't want to have kids so she goes for an abortion? I on the other hand, would like to be a father and although I didn't plan it this way, I could look after the kid instead. Can my GF take 9 months of misery now if she doesn't have to deal with 18+ years of raising the child once born? Hell, even if neither of us wanted the kid, there are so many other options like adoption.

Can anyone answer these questions without insults?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
It's impossible to answer this without insults ~ so, no.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:17 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,850 times
Simply put, abortion kills a fetus. In most cases, a fetus that really hasn't developed -anything- yet.

If there was a way to transfer a fetus without killing it, I'm pretty sure the number of abortions would drop dramatically.

As it stands, there's not, which is why abortion is a necessary evil.

Mentally retarted people, there's always someone who can take care of them. THey can always be passed from person to person. That's the difference.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
You could also ask "why isn't it the right of the parents to kill a child before it is of the age to take care of itself?"

Abortion is not about women's rights. The only issue is at what age should you be able to terminate a life.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Simply put, abortion kills a fetus. In most cases, a fetus that really hasn't developed -anything- yet.

If there was a way to transfer a fetus without killing it, I'm pretty sure the number of abortions would drop dramatically.
In many cases birthing the fetus would transfer it to a living breathing human.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
In many cases birthing the fetus would transfer it to a living breathing human.
Not in the case of the majority of abortions, where they don't even have lungs to breathe.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
In US 90% of fetuses are aborted when the parent finds out the baby would have Downs Syndrome.

This fact highlights the hypocricy revolving around the abortion debate, because 50% of Americans claim to be pro-life. It turns out that most of these "pro-life" people can't wait to abort babies which are not perfect.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
If we allow the premise that killing an inconvenient unborn child is acceptable, then it is an easy step to euthanasia, and eliminating unproductive members of society that are a financial burden such as the handicapped, elderly, and so on. We are already on that road. Do we want to continue in this direction?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Not in the case of the majority of abortions, where they don't even have lungs to breathe.
I didn't say majority. I said many.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
They have already tried that. It was the Progressive Era's fame to the perfect society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies