Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:35 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,451,420 times

Advertisements

Good ol' Bill came up with a conundrum here.

"Second, that in order to ride out any storm effectively, you should be self-reliant and resilient. That means you have to anticipate problems and have some solutions at the ready."

"However, during Sandy, the generator did not work. You can imagine how many four-letter words were uttered. But, I had a Plan B. I know some guys who can repair generators, and they fixed mine very quickly. I have a long-term relationship with these guys and will reward them."

"Sadly, we are becoming a nation dependent on other people, and very reliant on machines. Sandy's destruction brought us back to the 19th century, as the collapse of the machines was something to see. Many people were lost without their appliances because they are not self-reliant. They also do not think ahead. They do not figure out Plan B because they don't even have a Plan A. "

Am I being over critical in pointing out such a contradiction? Especially in light of the rest of the article? Or do we give him a pass on this because he's attacking Obama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
A generator is nice but you don't need one, what you need is some common sense and a little preparation.

How many of these people stored drinking water before the storm hit?

I've seen another news report about people defacating in the hallway, are they pigs and too lazy to go fill a bucket of water to flush the toilet?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,739,379 times
Prepping 101.....If you can't do it yourself, know and trust someone who can.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,487,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Good ol' Bill came up with a conundrum here.

"Second, that in order to ride out any storm effectively, you should be self-reliant and resilient. That means you have to anticipate problems and have some solutions at the ready."

"However, during Sandy, the generator did not work. You can imagine how many four-letter words were uttered. But, I had a Plan B. I know some guys who can repair generators, and they fixed mine very quickly. I have a long-term relationship with these guys and will reward them."

"Sadly, we are becoming a nation dependent on other people, and very reliant on machines. Sandy's destruction brought us back to the 19th century, as the collapse of the machines was something to see. Many people were lost without their appliances because they are not self-reliant. They also do not think ahead. They do not figure out Plan B because they don't even have a Plan A. "

Am I being over critical in pointing out such a contradiction? Especially in light of the rest of the article? Or do we give him a pass on this because he's attacking Obama?

People should consider saving a little emergency money. Then, whether you are Bill O'Reilly or Joe Shmoe, you'll still have some buying power.

That sounds like self reliance to me.

Attacking Obama is justified.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:50 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,338,432 times
Life 101: No man is an island. We all need each other to survive.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,007,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
People should consider saving a little emergency money. Then, whether you are Bill O'Reilly or Joe Shmoe, you'll still have some buying power.
Indeed. I am always surprised how few people think to have money on hand. As though you can still use your credit card, check book, or debit card during a crisis (especially one where power is likely to fail.)

Alas, I have met plenty of people who are seemingly unable to screw in a light bulb by themselves. Thus, I am not surprised that there are many people who were unable to anticipate what they would need in order to be properly prepared.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,754,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Agreed, working together is not a bad thing, this idea that everybody can only count on themselves to get things done is one of the problems in the country, banding together in a tragedy we can all bring things to the table and get what we need done, but I promise there are things each of us brings that others cannot do as well. The fact that this guy had the capability to find the help he needed as opposed to waiting for the government to get him another generator is a good thing.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times
The last place we lived we lost power a couple of times for over a week due to ice storms. We also lost potable water. No generator. We were in a rural area and had to accept that we were low on the the totem pole for repairs. We also were prepared - plenty of batteries, gas stove that could be lit with matches, wood burning fireplace, hand cranked radio, kerosene lanterns, canned food, plenty books and board games. If there was a possibility of a storm we'd fill up one of the tubs with water. We've always had emergency cash stash set aside. The list could go on, but the bottom line is that we did what we could to minimize the possible problems and just waited. The one thing we, nor our neighbors, did not do was become uncivilized. Gotta admit, it was not fun and the lack of being able to shower was really annoying but we could have lasted at least another week if we had to. Bill O'Reilly is right, people are just way too dependent on modern conveniences, including modern entertainment. I do admit it would be harder in a high rise. Big city living is not a lifestyle conducive to rugged individualism and self reliance.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Of course it is.

It's not like being self-reliant requires you to invent and build your own generator or make your own candles or LED lights and batteries. You can buy them, which means like in the words of Obama -- you didn't build it.

But if you worked and used your own money to buy food and supplies, it is self reliancy.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's probably true for most of us in the extreme but when I say extreme I mean total collapse of society. The issue is so many people have become very dependent on others and are completely lost even in such a short time. They expect their needs to be fulfilled by someone else and that's not a good thing. A lot of these people would have been better off had they taken some simple preparation measures like storing some drinking water.

You know where I used to live, every time that river was coming up Magritte25 one of the first things that got done was water storage and there was enough there for a week and i never had to use it... but every time it got stored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies