Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:50 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,411 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying this was an optimal execution of foreign policy on behalf of the Obama team, but the Libya attack is quickly becoming an over-politicized tragedy and little else, which is very inappropriate. Criticizing foreign policy is COMPLETELY fine, but to think this is a singular act of negligence that only Obama has transgressed, and will doom his legacy forever, is complete malarkey (I was using that word long before the debate, I'm Irish). Attacks like these have been happening for decades. Let's take a look at every comparable attack that happened during the previous administration.

June 14, 2002, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Suicide bomber kills 12 and injures 51.

February 20, 2003, international diplomatic compound in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Truck bomb kills 17.

February 28, 2003, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Gunmen on motorcycles killed two consulate guards.

July 30, 2004, U.S. embassy in Taskkent, Uzbekistan
Suicide bomber kills two.

December 6, 2004, U.S. consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Militants stormed and occupied perimeter wall. Five killed, 10 wounded.

March 2, 2006, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Suicide car bomber killed four, including a U.S. diplomate directly targeted by the assailants.

September 12, 2006, U.S. embassy in Damascus, Syria
Gunmen attacked embassy with grenades, automatic weapons, and a car bomb (though second truck bomb failed to detonate). One killed and 13 wounded.

January 12, 2007, U.S. embassy in Athens, Greece
A rocket-propelled grenade was fired at the embassy building. No one was injured.

July 9, 2008, U.S. consulate in Istanbul, Turkey
Armed men attacked consulate with pistols and shotguns. Three policemen killed.

March 18, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana'a, Yemen
Mortar attack misses embassy, hits nearby girls' school instead.

September 17, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana'a, Yemen
Militants dressed as policemen attacked the embassy with RPGs, rifles, grenades and car bombs. Six Yemeni soldiers and seven civilians were killed. Sixteen more were injured.

And then, there's 9/11, which occurred after intelligence informed Bush that Al-Queda was planning an imminent attack, a blunder he has yet to be punished for accordingly.

This is why History can be crucial -- it contextualizes things. I could probably find similar data for Clinton, or Reagan, anything as far back as the data will provide. History can also negate petty sensationalism, which is all to apparent here. Events like these are not to be exploited, like the way Bush exploited his own foreign policy disaster (or as Wolfowitz coined, today's Pearl Harbor) to lead us into a completely unrelated war. The Foreign policy debate should move on -- there are many issues that Obama deserves praise for some, and criticism for others. Let's keep this factual and informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 04:52 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
Oh, but you see, history began on January 20, 2009, and NOTHING that happened before then matters. At. All.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:56 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
So what your saying OP is that besides being negligent and watching brave American's get slaughtered for 7 hours while asking for military help many times our President is also a ****ing idiot because he didn't learn anything from history.

Ok I'll buy that.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Oh, but you see, history began on January 20, 2009, and NOTHING that happened before then matters. At. All.
I think you are missing the point here. It's not all the terrorist attacks. It's the COVER UP of this
specific attack. President's should keep the people informed, not hide the facts. just to win & election.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:25 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
I think you are missing the point here. It's not all the terrorist attacks. It's the COVER UP of this
specific attack. President's should keep the people informed, not hide the facts. just to win & election.
You can't prove it's a cover up. For all you know it was bad information from a situation that developed and deteroiroated quickly overseas.

I love how all of you act as if you know exactly what you would do had this happened and you were in charge.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You can't prove it's a cover up. For all you know it was bad information from a situation that developed and deteroiroated quickly overseas.

I love how all of you act as if you know exactly what you would do had this happened and you were in charge.
so the president could not get information from his own security advisers and the military, and that is better then a cover up how? That just shows either no chain of command, or a lack of interest by the president.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:44 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So what your saying OP is that besides being negligent and watching brave American's get slaughtered for 7 hours while asking for military help many times our President is also a ****ing idiot because he didn't learn anything from history.

Ok I'll buy that.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Ok I'll buy that.
I see a few of you have missed my point altogether. Can't say I'm shocked.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The coverup of THIS specific attack? The last eleven attacks were covered up. I see my point is STILL being disregarded.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
It was not just a cover-up, by blaming this video (that nobody saw) instead of al Qaeda terrorists Obama caused even more unrest and anti-American hatred in more than a dozen other countries around the world.

Muslim Protests Spread Around the Globe - In Focus - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies