Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,455 times

Advertisements

That we have 315 million citizens in this country and we have people elected with less than 50 million votes who think they can control the lives of EVERYONE,pass laws we are all supposed to live by and believe in? Does anyone not see the flaws in this "democracy"? Its not even mob rule anymore its literally being ruled by someone who got a very small minority of the vote...wow....this is just puzzling...oh and its not that I am made obama won...I hated willard just as much and would be saying the same thing...it just puzzles me WHY we the people allow someone who didn't even get 50 million votes to dictate to over 300 million people how they must do things....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
If you don't like the election results leave the country or start your own revoultion and succeed.FYI,I didn't vote for Odummer but I have to live with it.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Flaw or not, that is how things work.

It's even worse at the local levels where less than 10% of registered voters decide what's good.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Does it bother you though? That he was elected and its not the first time that a president is elected by a small minority of the population and we are expected to do as he says....and its secede actually and no I don't have to...I have faith in obama to destroy the country and collapse the economy...I am hoping at least.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Flaw or not, that is how things work.

It's even worse at the local levels where less than 10% of registered voters decide what's good.
wow....who in the world thought this was such a good idea!? I mean my god...I understand when the system was made we didn't have 300 million people but jesus....did they not see the HUGE flaws in this...

Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
wow....who in the world thought this was such a good idea!? I mean my god...I understand when the system was made we didn't have 300 million people but jesus....did they not see the HUGE flaws in this...
When the system was made, people took voting very seriously.
Apathy has settled in. Many think society will just continue to float the way it is and can't be bothered.
They just don't care. They don't care about the debt, they don't care about illegal immigration, they don't care about corrupt politicians (Jesse Jackson Jr. won his re-election and he hasn't been seen since May).

IMHO, our apathy will be our downfall.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 AM

863 posts, read 795,799 times
Quote:
Not a flaw of the system, it's a flaw of the voter. If people don't take the time to educate themselves about the issues and VOTE, then this is what happens.

So if only 10 percent in a given election vote, then that is our fault, not the systems.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 AM

990 posts, read 939,402 times
Quote:

Why allow regular people to vote at all?

I know it gives the idiot masses the illusion of control, but how dumb is it to have a system where the educated and informed voters are overruled by the ignorant sheep who believe anything an attack ad says? You can have a person who spends 10 hours reading up on every measure on the ballot and who truly understands the costs and benefits of each, but then there's Budweiser Joe or Senor Jose Cuervo who got hammered watching MNF and stumbles to the polls on Tuesday without having heard about the measures until he goes into the voting booth and he cancels out the intelligent guy's vote. How is that right? How can you have a functional system when you have voters dumb enough to select Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, Arnold Schwartzenegger, Michele Bachmann, etc.?

Unfortunately, Democracy is better than the other choices we have. There's never really been a functional meritocracy. Imagine if political positions were earned instead of bought...

Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Why allow regular people to vote at all?

I know it gives the idiot masses the illusion of control, but how dumb is it to have a system where the educated and informed voters are overruled by the ignorant sheep who believe anything an attack ad says? You can have a person who spends 10 hours reading up on every measure on the ballot and who truly understands the costs and benefits of each, but then there's Budweiser Joe or Senor Jose Cuervo who got hammered watching MNF and stumbles to the polls on Tuesday without having heard about the measures until he goes into the voting booth and he cancels out the intelligent guy's vote. How is that right? How can you have a functional system when you have voters dumb enough to select Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, Arnold Schwartzenegger, Michele Bachmann, etc.?

Unfortunately, Democracy is better than the other choices we have. There's never really been a functional meritocracy. Imagine if political positions were earned instead of bought...
If you don't like it -- and I'm not being snarky here -- why not run for office and "be the change"? That is what Ventura did (although I'm Minnesotan and find him annoying). If such characters as the ones you mentioned can win, why not give it a go?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When the system was made, people took voting very seriously.
Apathy has settled in. Many think society will just continue to float the way it is and can't be bothered.
They just don't care. They don't care about the debt, they don't care about illegal immigration, they don't care about corrupt politicians (Jesse Jackson Jr. won his re-election and he hasn't been seen since May).

IMHO, our apathy will be our downfall.
I think you're right. There was a girl on my Facebook that said this was the first election she had voted in during her adult life (she's over 30). I said 'good for you' as one thing I always encourage is voting and participating. This was followed by SEVERAL of her adult friends that said 'never voted and probably never will'. I was floored. Why would someone even brag about their complete lack of participation in our process??? I honestly have no words for that. While I don't always get the result I wish for, I take my right to vote very seriously and have always done so. I do the research, I stay involved. I just can't believe there's so many people that don't care nor do they have any desire to do so in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies