Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Or it could be that no one shops at JCP due to their decrepit and crumbling store interiors and their crappy quality, unstylish tacky clothes. But nice to see that they found a scapegoat.
This. I'm in marketing for a living, and Ellen DeGeneres isn't their problem. They're trying to be all things to all people and not doing any of it well. Teens are a huge clothing market, and Penny's tries to market heavily to that group. I have a house full of teenaged boys, and they wouldn't be caught dead shopping at Pennys unless I force them to go there with me to pick up church clothes (khaki slacks and dress shirts, which they wouldn't be caught dead wearing any other time). As you said, the clothing is cheap looking, tacky, and usually a couple of seasons behind what's actually "in." The same goes for their working women's areas--they market heavily to that group, but they offer lots of gaudy polyester that no one in a professional position would wear. I'm a 50+ year old mom, and I occasionally buy really basic things there for myself when I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I have to really dig to find things.

I admire Penny's for choosing Ellen, but they can't stop there--they've got to bring their stores and product line up if they expect to stay open. Great marketing doesn't fix a bad product line and grim looking, disorganized stores.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I shop at JCP; good quality for a decent price. What's killing JCP is there is oversaturation in their market segment. They're competing with Wal-Mart, Target, and Kohl's just to name a few for people buying clothing and housewares on a budget. To make matters worse, they're usually located in shopping malls and they're competing with all the clothing stores there, too. So the well-heeled shoppers are shunning JCP as usual and the shoppers they need to target are spending money at Forever 21 and Old Navy.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm guessing it's their quality that went to s***, and not who their spokesperson is. I used to shop there a lot, but these days, I'd rather go to Kohls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's where I go now too. Good quality and still decent prices with a good all around selection of styles.
And I like that they refuse to go into the malls..saves money on mall overhead.
I buy lots of my casual clothing at Kohls now too--way better quality and great prices on women's clothing.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I shop at JCP; good quality for a decent price. What's killing JCP is there is oversaturation in their market segment. They're competing with Wal-Mart, Target, and Kohl's just to name a few for people buying clothing and housewares on a budget. To make matters worse, they're usually located in shopping malls and they're competing with all the clothing stores there, too. So the well-heeled shoppers are shunning JCP as usual and the shoppers they need to target are spending money at Forever 21 and Old Navy.
Even American Eagle runs fantastic sales and clearance events. Those are the kinds of stores my kids want to shop at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I buy lots of my casual clothing at Kohls now too--way better quality and great prices on women's clothing.
YMMV I guess....I hate Kohl's and I think the quality is awful.

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Hmmm. If Penny's quality is so low (it isn't, but that seems to be what some folks want to say to shore up their silly excuses), then I guess it was Ellen who made the mistake. I mean, really, why would she want to be associated with shoddy workmanship?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
YMMV I guess....I hate Kohl's and I think the quality is awful.
For capris and t-shirts? I wouldn't buy a suit there, but for kicking around the house... Maybe it's just me--we live a pretty comfortable life, but we're out in the country and I have five kids. I'm always up for a bargain, and clothes that I'm not afraid to ruin gardening.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
For capris and t-shirts? I wouldn't buy a suit there, but for kicking around the house... Maybe it's just me--we live a pretty comfortable life, but we're out in the country and I have five kids. I'm always up for a bargain, and clothes that I'm not afraid to ruin gardening.
Guess it depends on what you buy.

For just kicking around the house I buy boys' extra-large knit shorts and t-shirts at Target; I'm a size 4 so I can wear a lot of large clothing made for boys. Can't beat the price either. Woman's t-shirt $10, man's t-shirt $8, boy's t-shirt $5. No brainer.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Guess it depends on what you buy.

For just kicking around the house I buy boys' extra-large knit shorts and t-shirts at Target; I'm a size 4 so I can wear a lot of large clothing made for boys. Can't beat the price either. Woman's t-shirt $10, man's t-shirt $8, boy's t-shirt $5. No brainer.
Makes sense to me. I'm a smaller petite (short) too, but boys shirts unfortunately don't fit me well. If you've found something that works, more power to you!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Or it could be that no one shops at JCP due to their decrepit and crumbling store interiors and their crappy quality, unstylish tacky clothes. But nice to see that they found a scapegoat.
Exactly. Anyone who is blaming Ellen hasn't been to a JCP in the last 5 years. I'd rather shop at Goodwill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies