Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,486,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Selective pro-creation. Where have we seen that before ?
Our dating choices.

[everyday]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
My eventual neighbors are my kids?
Maybe.

[unless you don't plan to donate; then what's it to you?]

Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,125,146 times
Quote:
So reads the subject line of a Craigslist ad posted by the Genesis Group.

The ad goes on:

* MUST have at least 1 semester of college or be pursuing successful modeling/acting career.

* You must be height/weight proportionate. Please use this BMI calculator to make sure your BMI is lower than 27.

I post this just to note how severing the link between sexual intimacy, marriage, and procreation has paved the way for the kind of vulgar, immoral, eugenicist mentality that is now becoming so common.

Any guesses on where this might lead?
Don't get the problem
Person has a certain criteria. Would you be so appalled at the "vulgar, immoral" nature if it were a dating ad?

Are you against freedom of personal choice? Why is that? Why do you want to control other people's lives? What is lacking in yours?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,610,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
[unless you don't plan to donate; then what's it to you?]
Maybe I only want healthy, smart, good-looking, athletic, high-achieving, lily-white neighbors. Doesn't everybody? Eugenics can get us there. Together, we can create a better world.

[/sarc]

Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,469,598 times
How exactly do you get from picky egg-choosers to mandatory eugenics?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe I only want healthy, smart, good-looking, athletic, high-achieving, lily-white neighbors. Doesn't everybody? Eugenics can get us there. Together, we can create a better world.

[/sarc]
If someone wants healthy, smart, good-looking, athletic, high-achieving, lily-white kids, that's their business.

[no sarcasm]

Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,610,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Don't get the problem
Person has a certain criteria. Would you be so appalled at the "vulgar, immoral" nature if it were a dating ad?
The first problem is that this is the ultimate commodification of children. Parenthood is utterly degraded to the acquisition of personal accessories for the sole benefit of the consumers/"parents".

The second problem is that many of these customized, made-to-order children will not measure up to the expectatons of their "parents" in terms of health, intelligence, physical beauty, etc. and will be resented by their "parents" who were unable to obtain refunds.

The third problem is the "playing God" effect, the arrogance of believing that people can and should be engineered by society to genetic perfection, that genetically-inferior persons are a burden that we are all justified in avoiding.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 11-12-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,226 times
Quote:
It was clearly listed by the Genesis Group itself. The only contact info is for the Genesis Group.

Why the irrational denial? Nothing in the text you quoted indicates that the ad is somehow contrary to their standards.
You honestly think that this kind of business would be stupid enough to say that applicants must have had "at least one semester of college or being pursuing a successful modeling/acting career?" Please. That is ridiculous.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Selective pro-creation. Where have we seen that before ?
... well, since throughout all of human history, people have sought out whom they deem to be the "ideal" mate and had children with them, I'm going to wager that the answer is "since the beginning of humanity."

Inasmuch as I have a marked preference for Asian/half-Asian women, when I eventually get married and have a kid, I will have engaged in "selective pro-creation" by seeking out a woman with dark hair and eyes and a certain set of facial features that varies drastically from my own - I'm of mostly-Scandanavian descent, with blue eyes, blonde hair, and sharp/strong facial features.

Incidentally, I was indeed a sperm donor a few years back. $150 a pop. Not a bad deal when you're looking for work. Because of my genetic traits and personal/family history, I guess my DNA was in demand...

Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,469,598 times
Quote:
The third problem is the "playing God" effect, the arrogance of believing that people can and should be engineered by society to genetic perfection, that genetically-inferior persons are a burden that we are all justified in avoiding.
This from someone who cites the Bible to justify a desire to recriminalize homosexuality and shove gays back into the closet (if not into jail). And please spare us your pious bleating to the effect that homosexuality is a "chosen lifestyle." It is not. But either way, how does your desire to engineer society to your own specifications really differ from those couples' desire to have children with certain characteristics? Their alleged desire to have "pure" children is akin to your professed desire to live in a "pure" society. Either way there will be certain groups of people who become invisible or vanish entirely.

To put it another way: if DNA testing ever becomes available that can predict whether a child will turn out gay, would you suddenly become pro-choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies