Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

Here is an open letter to the entire House of Representatives who were all re-elected last week. They have powers that the leaners don't know about in that no money can be raised to spend unless the bill that calls for the raising came from the House. Of course, many here don't realize that revenue bills are what this speaks to. Most don't, yet, know that one major law that was declared a tax law last summer originated in the Senate which makes it unconstitutional. What will John Roberts do when the Court has to determine if that is true and legal? I wonder if the Chief Justice didn't "take" the left when he sided with the left activists.

Anyway, if those Reps don't stand up to Obama, from the very start they, no doubt, won't be re-elected and all of them have to be campaigning right now for 2014. Obama doesn't have to campaign any more so maybe he can take care of his job now. It was Republicans who elected most of those people wasn't it? Will we vote for them again if they lie down and let Obama, Boehner and Reid push us around anymore? I won't. In fact I didn't vote for the Rep I got pushed in with this time since he is a heavy union leaning Republican.

Trevor Loudon's New Zeal Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 PM

13 posts, read 13,308 times
The way I see it is that the GOP has found themselves sitting in a tight place right now. The electorate just told their presidential candidate they don't want to make entitlement cuts, but left them in the House in order to fix the economy. If you can't cut entitlements, then you have to either cut out the pork they've added over the years, or they have to raise taxes to cover spending. Raising taxes is pretty close to saying "Vote me out, I don't want this job anymore".

I don't feel particularly sorry for them. They COULD have softened up a bit and let Obama bear the blame for a tax increase. They would have been able to close the debt gap a bit, and possibly make good on their strategy of making Obama a single term president.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Yes they had best better find their spines.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Default Democratic Reps

The rock ribbed conservative state of New Hampshire elected two Democratic Reps this month. We are already working to keep them in Congress.

It is time for the national Democratic Party to take over the rest of the House and elect a veto proof majority in the Senate. Then we will be able to start implimenting a New Dawn in America with less foriegn wars, a smaller military with less spending, universal health care without private sector insurance companies and , most importantly a return to an Indusrtial, Investment, Production and Wages economy to replace the disster of the Finance, Investment, and Real Estate debacle.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The rock ribbed conservative state of New Hampshire elected two Democratic Reps this month. We are already working to keep them in Congress.

It is time for the national Democratic Party to take over the rest of the House and elect a veto proof majority in the Senate. Then we will be able to start implimenting a New Dawn in America with less foriegn wars, a smaller military with less spending, universal health care without private sector insurance companies and , most importantly a return to an Indusrtial, Investment, Production and Wages economy to replace the disster of the Finance, Investment, and Real Estate debacle.
The National Democratic party is going to do this? What track record are you looking at?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes they had best better find their spines.
Ironic considering it was Obama that largely caved to the republicans in his first term.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ironic considering it was Obama that largely caved to the republicans in his first term.
I have to wonder if you think that Boehner caving to Obamaa was done before or after the first term.

I might add that in the early days of the first term when the Dems had control of both houses they couldn't do much else but argue and fight about all that universal healthcare crap. Once they got that one settled they had to work on another stimulus act since the first one didn't work out so well

Yep, I really have to wonder how you blame the GOP for anything but trying to keep him and his from stealing too much over what they had managed.

I don't think that Boehner has talked a lot with his members about what they will agree to do with Obama and he might learn soon that he may not have his leadership seat when the new Congress is formed up in January. Boehner has just been too much of a RINO for some time and seems to be working on being like that some more.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
The National Democratic party is going to do this? What track record are you looking at?
They really hope they can work out something to get Nasty Nancy back in control in two years from now. The bad part is that they may make it if Boehner and his other establishment members get what they want in what appears to be bi-partisanship.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtoo View Post
The way I see it is that the GOP has found themselves sitting in a tight place right now. The electorate just told their presidential candidate they don't want to make entitlement cuts, but left them in the House in order to fix the economy. If you can't cut entitlements, then you have to either cut out the pork they've added over the years, or they have to raise taxes to cover spending. Raising taxes is pretty close to saying "Vote me out, I don't want this job anymore".

I don't feel particularly sorry for them. They COULD have softened up a bit and let Obama bear the blame for a tax increase. They would have been able to close the debt gap a bit, and possibly make good on their strategy of making Obama a single term president.
I disagree that the electorate "left them in the House in order to fix the economy." The State legislatures have been busy remaking Congressional districts so those House GOP members have safe seats. It is far from the will of the people, who correspondingly increased Democratic Senatorial majorities.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:49 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have to wonder if you think that Boehner caving to Obamaa was done before or after the first term.

I might add that in the early days of the first term when the Dems had control of both houses they couldn't do much else but argue and fight about all that universal healthcare crap. Once they got that one settled they had to work on another stimulus act since the first one didn't work out so well

Yep, I really have to wonder how you blame the GOP for anything but trying to keep him and his from stealing too much over what they had managed.

I don't think that Boehner has talked a lot with his members about what they will agree to do with Obama and he might learn soon that he may not have his leadership seat when the new Congress is formed up in January. Boehner has just been too much of a RINO for some time and seems to be working on being like that some more.
I think you read my post in reverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies