Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

With all the unemployment and people wanting jobs why can't Hostess company just say to them come and get a job, we have them for you?

Are people so afraid of the unions that they won't go near the company when the unions are ticked off? No one should have THAT much power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
You are trying to scape goat the union who had been taking pay cuts while top executives in the company where giving themselves huge raises. Poor management and people eating healthier snacks are to blame for their demise, not the union.

Quote:
BCTGM members are well aware that as the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy earlier this year, the then CEO of Hostess was awarded a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) and at least nine other top executives of the company received massive pay raises.One such executive received a pay increase from $500,000 to $900,000 and another received one taking his salary from $375,000 to $656,256.
Hostess Blames Union For Bankruptcy After Tripling CEO's Pay | ThinkProgress

Quote:
The union has accused the Texas business of slashing workers' wages and benefits while awarding substantial pay raises to its top brass. In a statement, the National Consumers League threw its support behind the union, saying Hostess executives were “scapegoating” workers instead of “taking responsibility themselves.” “It is years of poor management -- not the reasonable demands to improve working conditions of the BCTGM --
http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...tory?track=rss

Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Really Hostess' problems go back to 2004. And surprise, surprise, the employees weren't the problem then anymore than they are now:

"The company's burdensome debt traces back to Hostess's first trip through bankruptcy in 2004. Missteps by a private-equity firm, hedge funds and managers since burdened the company, despite its more than $2 billion in annual sales."

Twinkie Maker Hostess to Close - WSJ.com

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
With all the unemployment and people wanting jobs why can't Hostess company just say to them come and get a job, we have them for you?

Are people so afraid of the unions that they won't go near the company when the unions are ticked off? No one should have THAT much power.
You might not want to continue to embarass yourself by the remarks you're posting, until you learn more about the situation.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
That is what I am trying to do. Duh.

I haven't bought a twinkie in years plus I didn't like them anyway. A company has to keep up with competition. BUT if it was another company and people go on strike why can't a company just hire other people---I know they are called scabs by the unions and risk some harassment so I guess that is the real answer. The unions thugs won't allow it.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:

I haven't bought a twinkie in years plus I didn't like them anyway. A company has to keep up with competition. BUT if it was another company and people go on strike why can't a company just hire other people---I know they are called scabs by the unions and risk some harassment so I guess that is the real answer. The unions thugs won't allow it.
They are 860 million dollars in debt. How are they going to pay workers? Hint: the union is a scapegoat for poor management.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
They are 860 million dollars in debt. How are they going to pay workers? Hint: the union is a scapegoat for poor management.
Yeah no way both could be at fault

Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 PM

408 posts, read 607,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You are trying to scape goat the union who had been taking pay cuts while top executives in the company where giving themselves huge raises. Poor management and people eating healthier snacks are to blame for their demise, not the union.

Hostess Blames Union For Bankruptcy After Tripling CEO's Pay | ThinkProgress

Union sympathizers slam Hostess over shutdown [Google+ Hangout] - latimes.com
I think it really does come down to consumers making healthier choices. Their business model is no longer viable. The exact same thing has happened in Quebec where a company called Vachon - known for making Joe Louis and Mae West cakes (literally a cultural institution here) - just abruptly cut out all of it's sugary snacks production.

It's crazy, you'd think these products sell well, cause vivid childhood memories say so, but the truth is they just don't anymore.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:

I don't know the answer to this question and the title of your thread is wrong if this is the question. You should see if you can have a moderator change the title of the thread for you or start a new one with this question.

As with Hostess as it has mention already, they were going under long before this strike, they are simply trying to use their employees as something to blame for their own personal failings.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:

Easier said than done. You not only need to hire them, you need to train them. You can bring in replacement workers but not allways so easy and the replacements might not want to break a strike(I don't), and generally would get let go if the union ends the strike(not much job security there).

Also depends on which workers went on strike. Engineers would be hardest to replace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies