Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I find it so amusing that Christians think Christmas is their holiday. What do fir trees, reindeer, and eggnog have to do with a child born in the desert 2000 years ago? Nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
well... mostly Germanic pagans. Christianity adopted many of the traditions that people associate with Christmas today from various winter solstice celebrations in an effort to ease the forceful transition of these people to Christianity from their previous pagan beliefs. Decorating trees, giving presents, and many other "Christmas" traditions come directly from these pagan cultures. Christians just shoehorned the birth of Jesus into them.

As an atheist I'm so happy it's time to turn all of my attention toward killing Christmas. It's what all atheists love to do this time of year, as you all know.
Just in time for the annual "Christmas traditions are taken from pagan rituals" posts. Don't you think most of us know this by the time we're 12 or so?

Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't have a problem with free speech but I do think that many of you leaners do when the wrong people attempt to use it.
Based on what?

Quote:
Since you read the link so closely, did you notice what Mr. Vix said about "Under God" in our pledge of allegiance?
I did read that. I also share his views 100%, just as I advocate for removing "In God we Trust" from money and going back to "E Pluribus Unum." What does that have to do with the Christmas decorations though?

Quote:
Didn't that come about very near the time that the city of Santa Monica started what had become a tradition? Did the city request that Vix and his friends go to the beach to see the displays they are against?
I'm sorry you'll have to translate this into English before I can answer.

Quote:
I did see your summary but didn't think that there was any reason to comment since most of your leaner friends may have learned a lot about what they didn't read from you. Thanks for telling us what you saw and how you interpreted it all.
So you agree that my summary was factually correct?

Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
It is so odd that people celebrate Christmas yet they are not Christians. There would be no Christmas without Christ.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Did anyone read the article? The atheists acquired spaces to express their views, fair and square, right along with the Christians.

The trouble started when the atheist displays were vandalized.....no doubt.....by Christians.

So.....since the Christians couldn't play nice.....the city said no one gets to play.

Sooooo....how is this the fault of the atheists?

If the Christians had played by the rules.....their displays would still be allowed.....right along with the atheist displays.

Everyone jumps on the same 15 year old argument, due to media kool aid.

Wy cant people just coexist. In NY and Bay Harbor Islands Fl/ Miami theyve used multi cultural decorations since 1997.

kwanzaa, angels, candles, menorahs, cross or nativity. It would SO hurt lamestream media ratings if everyone just got along, wouldn't it.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
It is so odd that people celebrate Christmas yet they are not Christians. There would be no Christmas without Christ.
We'd simply be calling it something else, sans the long haired bearded dude in sandals.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM

753 posts, read 728,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
On Christmas, my family and I gather and exchange gifts. We enjoy a nice dinner, and cheer in general. What's "odd" about that? I bet you have a tree. So do I. But I'm not a pagan. Are you? By your logic, if you have a tree and are not a pagan, that's "odd". It's called tradition. That's why it's not odd for either of us.

I bet you refer to the day of the week on which Thanksgiving falls as Thursday, yet I'll also bet you don't worship Thor.

How about Halloween? Are you participating in the Festival of the Dead, or are you just enjoying a tradition? Do you find that tradition "odd" for those not celebrating the Festival of the Dead?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
As I've said before: Nobody can act as persecuted as those who find themselves losing a privileged status they've come to expect as a matter of course.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
On Christmas, my family and I gather and exchange gifts. We enjoy a nice dinner, and cheer in general. What's "odd" about that? I bet you have a tree. So do I. But I'm not a pagan. Are you? By your logic, if you have a tree and are not a pagan, that's "odd". It's called tradition. That's why it's not odd for either of us.

I bet you refer to the day of the week on which Thanksgiving falls as Thursday, yet I'll also bet you don't worship Thor.

How about Halloween? Are you participating in the Festival of the Dead, or are you just enjoying a tradition? Do you find that tradition "odd" for those not celebrating the Festival of the Dead?
You can celebrate however you choose, but the fact is Christmas was made to celebrate the birth of Christ. You can celebrate any holiday at any time, but I don't think you can take Christ out of Christmas. Of course, I recognize the pagan origins of many holiday traditions.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you failed to see that the atheists in the city managed to get most of the spots on the beach for their displays. Did you see any of the displays they put up? Of course, as Vix said if you can't whip them join them so the atheists joined together to overcome the city with their requests to put up their displays.

Of course, there may not be a War on Christmas but in Santa Monica, the internationally know city about their displays on the beach, public property, the atheists have driven things a bit far, I think. I wonder why all those who day they read the link don't mention Mr. Vix and his group at all. He has said that he wants to do away with the 59 year old practice of the city and it seems he made it.

The city has been doing this since 1953 but organized atheism hasn't been around that long, has it?
People aren't mentioning Mr Vix because Mr Vix is not a party to the court action. Mr Vix is not involved at all in 2012.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
As an atheist I'm so happy it's time to turn all of my attention toward killing Christmas. It's what all atheists love to do this time of year, as you all know.

The title "Tis the Season: Killing Christmas 2012" makes me think of a action film about a hitman with a poster showing Santa, a Christmas tree and nativity scene in the crosshairs of a high-powered rifle... And only one man can stop him.

"Tis the season for payback. Deck the halls...with revenge!"

Starring Jason Statham and Steven Seagal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies