Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Maybe it should be hard-working food stamp, section 8, etc., welfare slackers?
Whatever you need to make sweeping generalizations of groups of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
---

That is what the most wealthy are doing -- they are not working to make their millions. They are earning money from capital gains and stock options of companies. Companies derive their value from the contribution of their workers. This last year saw record earnings for corporations. So, who will benefit? Not the workers but those who hold investments in those companies---i.e. the rich--- living off of someone else's work. Yes, it is repulsive.
The way you throw around the phrase "capital gains and stock options" as if they are similar things suggests you don't actually understand what they are or how they work. Do you know what capital gains actually are? These are gains from invested money. People put their money at risk when they buy stock in a company. The company exists and operates with the money provided by investors. If the company does well, the value of the stock goes up and the investors profit. If the company doesn't do so well, those investors lose their money. You complain here that the rich benefited because of record earnings by corporations. But a few post ago you pointed out that Wall St. collapsed. Who lost the most in that collapse? I'll give you a hint; it's the same people who benefit the most in a bull market. Decide which side of the equation you want to complain about.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
In other words, punish success and reward failure.

Those that receive the greatest economic benefit from the country should be willing to contribute to country that gave them the opportunity to be successful.

Anything else is just people being selfish and callous as hell.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Why should I pay for you? Pay for yourself and the poor. Why not double YOUR taxes to give it to the poor? That is the problem with you liberals. You want the world and you want someone else to pay for it.
Typical conservative: "I've got mine, f**k you!

Conservative selfishness at it's finest.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
The way you throw around the phrase "capital gains and stock options" as if they are similar things suggests you don't actually understand what they are or how they work. ...
You complain here that the rich benefited because of record earnings by corporations. But a few post ago you pointed out that Wall St. collapsed. Who lost the most in that collapse? I'll give you a hint; it's the same people who benefit the most in a bull market. Decide which side of the equation you want to complain about.
You're right, I'm not being very clear.

Most of the increases in income from 1961 to 2006 have accrued to the wealthy, and the largest increases have been to the very wealthy, the top 1 % and even more so the top 0.1 %. The middle class has seen it's real salaries stay flat or decrease.

Middle class taxes have fallen slightly. However the taxation of the wealthy has been radically reduced, leading many economists to suggest that our tax system is " redistributing benefits to the top while maintaining burdens for the rest of Americans"

The following article explains how this is happening:

http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica...ate_wealth.pdf

And as for who has been hit harder by the recession --- it is likely that the middle-class has, far more than the wealthy.
From the following article which suggests that as of 2012 : "...average Americans have been hit much harder than wealthy Americans. ....there has been an "astounding" 36.1% drop in the wealth of the median household since 2007. By contrast, the wealth of the top 1% of households dropped by far less: just 11.1% . "

http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

Last edited by ellemint; 11-21-2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
One thing this thread has demonstrated is the fact that greed and avarice share a huge responsibility for our nation's demise. Wealth provides the same empty, temporary catharsis for the man of avarice that sex provides for the man of lust. They are idols. We are a nation of idolators.

My work puts me in contact with many successful, wealthy people in the business world. But I've met only a tiny handful whose integrity and morality were not ruined by their "success". This is true even of successful liberals in business, the difference being that they seem more at peace with their own naked villainy - i.e., they are unwilling to be hypocrites. Lying, cheating, and hatred are the norm, with the greatest hatred reserved for their competition, about whom no calumnies are too outrageous to repeat.

Obama is a fitting punishment.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
The very idea of living off of someone else's work is repulsive to me.
Me too. But liberals live to TAKE from others.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Right on the nose. We of the Middle class are paying much more than our fair share. We are paying the lions share of the bottom that pays no taxes.
Look at who pays the most. It's NOT the middle class:
Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

The top 1% pays 36.73% of the federal income tax revenue. Show me which 1% within the middle class pays 36.73% of the federal income tax revenue. They don't. Plain and simple.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:21 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Me too. But liberals live to TAKE from others.
Please produce at least one link where a self proclaimed liberal(s) proclaim they live to take from others. Otherwise how about you shut your generalizing mouth because obviously you are blinded by your own bias.

More amusingly, you are no different than the liberals you bash. You generalize them, they do the same with you. No better than them.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
One thing this thread has demonstrated is the fact that greed and avarice share a huge responsibility for our nation's demise.
100% correct. As long as so many insist on living off the fruits of others' labors, this country is doomed to failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies