Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:01 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times

Advertisements

I've noticed on many times when you ask Christian conservatives to identify the teachings of Jesus Christ they embrace they tend to get very defensive and sometimes downright hostile and angry.

I have several family members who are conservative Christians or what you might call the Christian Right, and when they start preaching about god and politics I ask them to identify the teachings of Jesus they support and 9 out of 10 times they get very angry.

Once in awhile one will give me an example, (usually from the old Testament, yeah go figure)

Old 11-23-2012, 04:03 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,122,362 times
Quote:
I've noticed on many times when you ask Christian conservatives to identify the teachings of Jesus Christ they embrace they tend to get very defensive and sometimes downright hostile and angry.

I have several family members who are conservative Christians and when they start preaching about god and politics I ask them to identify the teachings of Jesus they support and 9 out of 10 times they get very angry.

Once in awhile one will give me an example, (usually from the old Testament, yeah go figure) but it's rare
And which one do you embrace...

Old 11-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
And which one do you embrace...
I'm not Christian, nor religious.

Which one do you embrace??? Something tells me I'll be waiting for a long long long time.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

I have several family members who are conservative Christians and when they start preaching about god and politics I ask them to identify the teachings of Jesus they support and 9 out of 10 times they get very angry.

Once in awhile one will give me an example, (usually from the old Testament, yeah go figure)

Why don't you take this to the religious forum??? You may get more answers there.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Why don't you take this to the religious forum??? You may get more answers there.
Because this is about Conservatives, the Christian Right

Nice deflection and thanks for proving my point.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Probably because most of them don't know what Jesus actually taught. How many of them condemn someone, and then claim, "Hate the sin, love the sinner" ?

Jesus didn't say that. A man, whom they claim will be burning in Hell did.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Because this is about Conservatives, the Christian Right

Nice deflection and thanks for proving my point.

You're welcome. For the life of me I fail to see what point that I so willingly proved for you.. I simply said take it where it belongs. Some of you sure have the ability to make things up..

Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:

I have several family members who are conservative Christians or what you might call the Christian Right, and when they start preaching about god and politics I ask them to identify the teachings of Jesus they support and 9 out of 10 times they get very angry.

Don't know why they would get angry... Christians should emulate everything Jesus said and did. However, we are also to be wise - and know when people are genuinely seeking and when they are testing Christians. Jesus was tested at times in the Scripture by the Pharisses, Saducees, etc. - sometimes He answered, sometimes He didn't.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:

My best guess is that somehow you've found a way to turn it into a loaded question. I'm curious how you've done that.

Jesus of Nazareth did not bring a vast array of new ideas to the table and should not be shocking to anyone. If the God of Israel really is the one true God, this would not be the least bit surprising.

Much of his message was that the Rabbinical Traditions (found in the Talmud and Mishna today) were wrong and he taught a "get back to the basics of the Law of Moses" message. Jesus taught that being a good person is more important than elaborate religious rites and rituals and in this he echoes the message most Old Testament prophets taught.

The Sermon on the Mount is probably the greatest example of Jesus teachings that depart from canon. Don't just avoid murder and violence, but avoid everything to leads to murder and violence. Don't just avoid cheating on your husband or wife, avoid even thinking about it. When you do good/religious things like giving money to the poor, praying and fasting, don't make a huge public spectacle of yourself to show the world how good you are. Give to charity anonymously. Pray in secret places where nobody is watching to see how spiritual you are. Wash your face and in today's terms brush your teeth and maybe have a Tic-Tac when you're fasting so nobody knows but you. Help and serve one another. Make the needs of others a higher priority. Do good to everyone, especially those that hate you. Love God and love everyone just as much as you love yourself. Mentally put yourself in other people's shoes and then do for them what you would want done if you were them. Don't be judgmental towards others. Turn the other cheek and go the extra mile.

Much of this may have been thought of by other people who came before him. Good ideas tend to happen like that. Newton and Liebnitz dreamed up Calculus at roughly the same time and did so independently of one another. Great minds think alike and ideas that work just tend to recreate themselves over and over again.

The teachings regarding his own divinity as God's Son is unique to Jesus in Judeo-Christian history. Mind you, others have claimed divinity, but no religious movement has survived for 20 centuries from any other claimant.

I'm kinda surprised that anyone gets angry when you bring it up, but like I said, maybe you've found a way to turn it into a loaded question.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,122,362 times
Quote:
I'm not Christian, nor religious.

Which one do you embrace??? Something tells me I'll be waiting for a long long long time.
"Father forgive Liberals for they know not what they do"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies