Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,465,785 times

Advertisements

YES! When I see a rich person, I wail and gnash my teeth, and I scream in torment: "WHY do you have to be so rich? Damn you, pay for my liberal welfare programs so that I can stay home in my trailer and watch Judge Judy!"

Was that the appropriate response to the bait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,558,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
YES! When I see a rich person, I wail and gnash my teeth, and I scream in torment: "WHY do you have to be so rich? Damn you, pay for my liberal welfare programs so that I can stay home in my trailer and watch Judge Judy!"

Was that the appropriate response to the bait?
That reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw once "Work harder, the food stamp people are depending on you". Take care.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The top 1% has 35% of all income
Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power
Apparently, you can't comprehend your own link. As of publication date, the top 1% had 21.3% of all income.

That has changed, and the latest IRS data reports that the top 1% had 16.93% of all income. And they paid 36.73% of the federal income tax revenue, more than TWICE their share of the income.

Latest IRS Federal Individual Income Tax Data | Income Shares
Latest IRS Federal Individual Income Tax Data | Tax Shares

Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
bumper sticker I saw once "Work harder, the food stamp people are depending on you".
Exactly.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,173,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The rich generate a lot of anger in America. Most feel that they skirt by without paying the price to be an American.

Do you feel that they need to pay a lot more in taxes to fix our economy?

How to Pay No Taxes: 10 Strategies Used by the Rich - Businessweek
My husband and I take advantage of state provided health insurance for our daughter. We pay the full amount every month ($200) which is still less than what I would pay through my employer. We pay this amount because of our salaries and our family size.

Our friends pay less than $100 for all 4 of their children. They have their own business, make way more money than us, and spend a whole lot more than we do.

The world is not always fair. We have to work a little harder because of this, not hate other people.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
My husband and I take advantage of state provided health insurance for our daughter. We pay the full amount every month ($200) which is still less than what I would pay through my employer. We pay this amount because of our salaries and our family size.

Our friends pay less than $100 for all 4 of their children. They have their own business, make way more money than us, and spend a whole lot more than we do.

The world is not always fair. We have to work a little harder because of this, not hate other people.
I do not have a problem with the states coming up with their own health system if that is what they decide. My problem is with an imposed national program on EVERYBODY, no question asked. My view is that a state can have health program that can help those in the lowest bracket and still in some ways contribute as much as they can. But not a program that demands regardless of income you have to be in the program. To me that is more expensive. It is less expensive if the state pay only for those that can truly not afford much. We as a society can understand that and do not mind helping those but not in a program that creates a degree of depency and abuse from the recipients. It also create such monster bureaucracy that becomes so expensive. Take care.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,173,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I do not have a problem with the states coming up with their own health system if that is what they decide. My problem is with an imposed national program on EVERYBODY, no question asked. My view is that a state can have health program that can help those in the lowest bracket and still in some ways contribute as much as they can. But not a program that demands regardless of income you have to be in the program. To me that is more expensive. It is less expensive if the state pay only for those that can truly not afford much. We as a society can understand that and do not mind helping those but not in a program that creates a degree of depency and abuse from the recipients. It also create such monster bureaucracy that becomes so expensive. Take care.
Okay. I am happy with my state system. However, I was referring to the OP which asked if rich people create feelings of anger. My friends, who make more money than we do, pay less for their health insurance through the state.

Things are not always fair but I don't hate richer people.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,208,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I absolutely do not envy, begrudge, despise or feel anger towards the wealthy. Furthermore, I believe our Commander in Chief should have some class:

Maobama needs a lot more than a shoe shine!
Actually, you need some class, president Obama is our president, get over it. Stop the hate.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The rich generate a lot of anger in America. Most feel that they skirt by without paying the price to be an American.

Do you feel that they need to pay a lot more in taxes to fix our economy?

How to Pay No Taxes: 10 Strategies Used by the Rich - Businessweek
I have not noticed any anger against the rich, but I live in South Florida where we have a good deal of rich people and we are used to them. Maybe this anger problem is more visible in the deep south, where a rich person is practically a myth.

I cannot think of a single person that I know who feels angry at the rich.

People who support raising taxes for the upper class are not angry at them.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Okay. I am happy with my state system. However, I was referring to the OP which asked if rich people create feelings of anger. My friends, who make more money than we do, pay less for their health insurance through the state.

Things are not always fair but I don't hate richer people.
I got the rest of what you said. I simply expressed my views based on what you wrote. In a previous message I also expressed no hard feelings toward those that make more than I do. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies