Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,704 times

Advertisements

Seven Steps to Restore Prosperity | Tom McClintock for Congress
by Tom McClintock, 4th Congressional District, CA

FIRST AND FOREMOST – IT’S THE SPENDING, STUPID.

Acts of Government plague our nation – and acts of Government are entirely within our power to change.
Unless and until we dramatically reduce federal spending and the accompanying tax and debt burden, government will continue crowding out private capital and destroying job creation.
Three numbers tell the story very nicely: 39, 32 and 82. Thirty-nine percent is the rate of inflation and population growth combined over the last ten years between 2002 and 2012. Thirty-two percent is the growth rate of revenue in the same period – despite the tax cuts and the recession. Not quite keeping up with inflation and population growth, but pretty close. Eighty-two percent is the figure that’s killing us. Eighty-two percent is the growth of federal spending.
I will conclude with a simple but universal maxim: freedom works. It is time America put it back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Tax the rich; no spending cuts

Don't be a Beohner Neanderthal. We're trying to dig ourselves out a Dubya hole. This means that the RICH, who unfairly benefitted from the cancer that is Republican policies, must compensate the rest of the nation. They must give back those unfair gains, and a good way to make them do this is through TAXES. Tax the hell out of the rich, absolutely.

No spending cuts. It has been shown time and time again that what Republicans want does NOT benefit the nation. This is especially true on this topic.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
what do you propose we cut? Should there be any fairness in the burden of taxes among Americans?
EVERYTHING. Nothing is exempt. We start with 20% cuts across everything: social security/medicare/medicaid, food stamps, defense, state department, everything gets cut by 20%. Whatever it takes. This is a good first step IMO. 20% doesn't destroy service delivery, in fact, I bet 15% out of that 20% would just be waste.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 AM

113 posts, read 101,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes but there are many that do.

I am old enough to have never been in the group that gets everything taken out of their paycheck back even when earning low wages.
It did not kill me.

Nor have I gotten more back than I've paid in. That is no a return, it is welfare.
Why should taxes I pay go to give back to some more than they paid in and it falls under our Tax Codes?

What comes out of my check is kept by the government and often I have to add some to send on top of it.
The biggest return, and only one, I've gotten in the past 17 years has been $50..

I have not had a raise in 6 years and my money is worth less everyday.

I pay enough already.
I agree that nobody should get back more than they pay in. The solution to this whole tax debacle is to lower the rates, end all deductions, and end withholding. Make everybody write a check to the gov't at the end of the year, and don't send any checks back. Then you'll see gov't shrink really fast.

You are arguing with someone who isn't disagreeing with you. I just think that one group that is not really talked about is poor to middle class people who receive nothing from the gov't but still have to pay quite a lot of taxes. I know they exist because I am one of them.

And I owed quite a lot this year as well. That was not a fun check to write.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is BS... Small businesses are struggling, middle class is struggling, our retired people are barely making ends meet. Yet our government keeps spending and spending and spending. GOVERNMENT needs to get control just like they expect every American to do.

This is nothing but a bunch of BS. We all know that if we pay more they only spend more.

Spending Cuts first!

We need to demand they stop paying their cronies. I know I am going to get slammed for this but who cares.... PBS pulls in big money and there is no reason they need government. Yes it's only a small amount but everything ads up. And we all know there is so many other things they are wasting money on.

Get rid of Waste! Spending Cuts first

We are "all" taxed enough already!
Might I suggest that, in the interim, you move to somewhere with taxes that meet your desires.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:06 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Close tax loopholes, end the TEMPORARY Bush tax cuts for the rich, end the wars in the Middle East and the military industrial complex, end the war on "drugs" and our police state but most importantly end the collusion between Big Government and Big Business which contributes the most to our inefficient spending.

Do the above and our country will be booming again. Unfortunately, since Obama has turned out to be Bush III, I do not see anything I listed happening, so I will continue to save for traveling the World.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Don't be a Beohner Neanderthal. We're trying to dig ourselves out a Dubya hole. This means that the RICH, who unfairly benefitted from the cancer that is Republican policies, must compensate the rest of the nation. They must give back those unfair gains, and a good way to make them do this is through TAXES. Tax the hell out of the rich, absolutely.

No spending cuts. It has been shown time and time again that what Republicans want does NOT benefit the nation. This is especially true on this topic.
If you think this problem is Bush's fault, then you are just as much of the problem as every other stupid American who dipped their hand's in this free-for-all cookie jar.

Everyone who accepted a special deduction, home tax credits, farmers and their subsidies, unions and their unchecked negotiating powers, military and DoD spending, small business owners who lobby their local congressmen for pet projects, and every single warm blooded American consumer who spends more than they take in - ARE TO BLAME.

The problem is all-encompassing, it's not as simple as to just blame a single president for being dumb enough to destroy capitalism.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is BS... Small businesses are struggling, middle class is struggling, our retired people are barely making ends meet. Yet our government keeps spending and spending and spending. GOVERNMENT needs to get control just like they expect every American to do.

This is nothing but a bunch of BS. We all know that if we pay more they only spend more.

Spending Cuts first!

We need to demand they stop paying their cronies. I know I am going to get slammed for this but who cares.... PBS pulls in big money and there is no reason they need government. Yes it's only a small amount but everything ads up. And we all know there is so many other things they are wasting money on.

Get rid of Waste! Spending Cuts first

We are "all" taxed enough already!

I'm sure this has been said many times, but once more for the hard headed.

Americans won't support significant cuts or changes to Medicare and social security. This statement alone requires some tax increases.

Simple enough?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Close tax loopholes, end the TEMPORARY Bush tax cuts for the rich, end the wars in the Middle East and the military industrial complex, end the war on "drugs" and our police state but most importantly end the collusion between Big Government and Big Business which contributes the most to our inefficient spending.

Do the above and our country will be booming again. Unfortunately, since Obama has turned out to be Bush III, I do not see anything I listed happening, so I will continue to save for traveling the World.

This would be a good start.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
what do you propose we cut? Should there be any fairness in the burden of taxes among Americans?

cut everything across the board by 50%, from top to bottom by 50%. then cut federal employees by 50% as well. cut taxes by25% across the board, and use the other 25% of the saving in taxes to pay down the national debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies