Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,262,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Isn't that the reason why democracies ultimately fail?
A majority compels a minority to cough up money and property, and it eventually becomes unbearable.

A majority can want many things and vote themselves much... but from whom will those funds and property come from?
Democracies fail when a minority group of elites think they have full control of the majority and their money. Unless you are trying to say we need to be a monarchy?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,350,775 times
Yes let's have a government run transportation system so they can decide where we can go and when. Who wants the individual freedom that an automobile give you. Where can I go now Obama? Take as much tax money from me as you want too.
What a bunch of idiots liberals are!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,230,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Isn't that the reason why democracies ultimately fail?
A majority compels a minority to cough up money and property, and it eventually becomes unbearable.

A majority can want many things and vote themselves much... but from whom will those funds and property come from?
Of what democracies do you speak? Minority of people controlling enough money and property that the majority becomes restless? Sounds more like how a monarchial society might fail.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,230,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Yes let's have a government run transportation system so they can decide where we can go and when. Who wants the individual freedom that an automobile give you. Where can I go now Obama? Take as much tax money from me as you want too.
If you seriously think that is what the future with rail as a transportation option will like then you are the idiot.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
sorry, I dont believe in federal tax dollars either.

lets say you are correct. lets say that the feds wanto make it a state issue and stays out of it.

every state in the union says yes to a coats to coast HSR. but 1 row of states going from the canadian border to the guld of mexico, right in the middle of the country say NO. is it right to have the feds come in and force those states that dont want it in their states?

no it isnt. if HSR is to be done, then it should be done with private money only and no taxpayers funds at all.
You don't support federal taxes? Guess you don't support our federal government or the US either for that matter because we wouldn't have a federal government without federal taxes, we are united states after all.

So you support having the minority tell the majority what they can and can't do with federal money? What if a minority of states wanted HSR would you then support it or are you just against for the sake of being against it?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I take it you don't use our interstate system cause you hate government run roads and how it takes away from your individual freedom to drive where ever you want?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 AM

45,294 posts, read 26,549,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I take it you don't use our interstate system cause you hate government run roads and how it takes away from your individual freedom to drive where ever you want?
Why not go all the way with such nonsense and credit the federal government with the invention of the automobile as well?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why not go all the way with such nonsense and credit the federal government with the invention of the automobile as well?
Are you suggesting the federal government doesn't own and control the interstates? Now that is what I would call nonsense. How would that be any different than the federal government owning and controlling all the rail lines for HSR? I have nothing against the idea of letting private companies run HSR, but it will take the federal government to build the rail for them.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,582,991 times
Quote:
we wouldn't have a federal government without federal taxes, we are united states after all.
I think you may come to the heart of their thinking.

We are a band of brothers
And native to the soil,
Fighting for the property
We gained by honest toil;
And when our rights were threatened,
The cry rose near and far--
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag
That bears a single star!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,228,792 times
Quote:

guess what, interstate roads would have been built sooner or later without the feds getting involved. the interstate roads make for good commerce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.