Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,404 times

Advertisements

I had replied to another thread that I find it curious that both the USA and China are having the same problem with public massacres at the same point in history. We're the two most powerful countries on earth, with the two largest economies, but our culture and value systems are very different. I honestly don't know the answer to this question. In China, are violent TV shows and movies common? What the status of religion in China (is it practiced by a large percentage of the population)? What is the status of mental health and prescription medications in China? In China, are the young men committing these atrocities considered middle class? Are these young men considered distant and/or loners? Now, it's true that in China, these massacres are being committed with knives, swords, and chain saws, but the weapons involved isn't really the point of this thread. Instead, I think we can learn from our similarities to figure out what mental switch is being flipped to cause these violent out bursts.

Like I said, I honestly don't know the answer to this, but there has to be a common thread between young men in these two countries. It just seems very coincidental that both of our countries would have the same problem arise at the same time. Maybe we can open a dialogue with China, and have an open discussion on what is taking place on either side of the Pacific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,976 times
I don't see "it" at ALL...

Incredible Hulk (tv series)-One of a kind - YouTube

Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Yes, Bill was!

Semper Fi~

Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Please list some of these Chinese public massacres by young men.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM

This is the only one that comes to mind.

I do not know the ages involved though.

Ghulja Incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
They both seek friendships with benefits?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Just my 2 ¢--large part of human behavior, perhaps like any social animal, is imitation. If one person does something weird, maybe it is just swept into the dustbin of history. But if one person does it, and somebody else copies, then a 3rd says, yeah that looks like the thing to do, now it's a trend. I like to watch birds; this is basically any flock birds' standard operating principle. Sometimes it does not work out so well:
1,500 birds die crashing into Utah parking lot, roads - latimes.com

If you look back thru history, there is no shortage of inexplicable human behavior. Foot-binding, witch-burning, people running the marathon du sables. Plenty more where that came from.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 PM

109 posts, read 136,913 times
Both have grant hills sneakers

Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,987 times
They both touch themselves at night?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I had replied to another thread that I find it curious that both the USA and China are having the same problem with public massacres at the same point in history. We're the two most powerful countries on earth, with the two largest economies, but our culture and value systems are very different. I honestly don't know the answer to this question. In China, are violent TV shows and movies common? What the status of religion in China (is it practiced by a large percentage of the population)? What is the status of mental health and prescription medications in China? In China, are the young men committing these atrocities considered middle class? Are these young men considered distant and/or loners? Now, it's true that in China, these massacres are being committed with knives, swords, and chain saws, but the weapons involved isn't really the point of this thread. Instead, I think we can learn from our similarities to figure out what mental switch is being flipped to cause these violent out bursts.

Like I said, I honestly don't know the answer to this, but there has to be a common thread between young men in these two countries. It just seems very coincidental that both of our countries would have the same problem arise at the same time. Maybe we can open a dialogue with China, and have an open discussion on what is taking place on either side of the Pacific.
In China, most of the killers are middle aged. Usually desperate American men at that age kill their own wife and children, and then themselves. In China they kill strangers.

They are usually not middle class. Instead, they lost job, or lost money in gambling, or was mistreated by the government, and wanted to revenge.

In China mental illness is rarely treated. People are reluctant to seek help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies