Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,511,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You suppose completely wrong. For one thing over 1/2 of those 30,000 are suicides, they would just choose other methods. For the other half people would just be killed by something else. You think human animals are just going to not kill because they can't get a hold of a gun? People have been killing each other for tens of thousands of years, sprinkling your fairy dust and making guns disappear isn't going to change that.

What else would happen if there were no guns? Many of the tens of thousands of people who use guns to defend themselves every year would be killed. Guns aren't nicknames 'equalizers' for nothing, people like this guy https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...-home-invader/ would probably be dead.
This elderly gentleman would probably also be dead Elderly Carnation man shoots burglar who attacked him | KING5.com Seattle
These people may also be dead North Bend homeowner shoots and kills intruder | KING5.com Seattle
This man also Man fatally shoots intruder in Toledo home | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

How many innocent people are you willing to sacrifice to get rid of guns?
Nowhere near as many as you're apparently willing to sacrifice to keep them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,943,934 times
I am related to a number of the military and I can tell you that the majority in the military would not carry out an illegal order to turn their guns on the citizens of this country... They might however turn their guns on the government..

Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 AM

78,536 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
Except for law enforcement and the military what problems would arise if there were no guns in this country? I suppose we would have 30,000 more people alive every year. What's that, about a million folks in some 30 odd years? I guess people couldn't go hunting. Well, there's always the grocery store. So, what would be the major problem if there were no guns in the citizenry?
I think you should go door to door in the austin neighborhood asking people their opinions on the topic.

Make sure to bring your I-pad so you can write down your findings.

Oh wait, you probably don't know where the austin neighborhood is. Ok, here is what you do....

Step 1: Put down your latte and walk out of the goldcoast or lincoln park coffee shot (oh a freudian slip!) you are sitting in.
Walk west-ish about 3-4 miles until someone tries to sell you crack or heroin (gee, how is that possible since it's banned? )

Step 2: Call your parents in Highland Park or Winnetka and tell them you need a new I-pad.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 AM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I am related to a number of the military and I can tell you that the majority in the military would not carry out an illegal order to turn their guns on the citizens of this country... They might however turn their guns on the government..
I know a number of law enforcement officers. They feel the same way.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM

78,536 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Nowhere near as many as you're apparently willing to sacrifice to keep them.
How is that war on drugs going BruSan?

80% of the shooting deaths in the OP's hometown are drug\gang related.

So basically, what you are suggesting is that compliance with the removal of guns would be universal and that the people doing the vast majority of killing would of course comply along with every else.

That's my question for you.

Do you believe that the gangs involved in the drugtrade will follow the law and not have illegal guns?

Let's hear your answer.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,794,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
So, what would be the major problem if there were no guns in the citizenry?
Same as always happens any time government tries to get rid of anything people want: a black market, stupid.

People would figure out how to make and sell them through the black market, guns would become as common as liquor during Prohibition or marijuana today, and criminals would run wild, assaulting, raping, and murdering anyone they wanted, since law-abiding people would be the only ones disarmed and wouldn't be able to defend themselves.

Any other blindingly obvious things I can help you see?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,943,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I know a number of law enforcement officers. They feel the same way.
I really have my doubts that the federal government would get much help from Texas state troopers either.. I know a bunch of them too..

Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,511,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I think you might be confusing armed Americans with John Candy.

BTW, Canada has more crime per capita (by 4x) than the US. So much for disarmed and safe.
List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crime in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uuuh; please read the entire wiki leak for Canada and it shows not only that your 4X offering is quite erroneous but that firearm ownership in Canada as referenced in the "Guns" section might surprise some of you.

Of particular interest should be the "comparisons" and "United States" sections of that Canada link for a more unbiased assessment.

The very last sentence in that link is of the most pertinent for this thread usage.

With an almost parallel density of firearm ownership per capita, firearms account for roughly 70% of homicides in the U.S. while only 30% in Canada.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,964,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Same as always happens any time government tries to get rid of anything people want: a black market, stupid.

People would figure out how to make and sell them through the black market, guns would become as common as liquor during Prohibition or marijuana today, and criminals would run wild, assaulting, raping, and murdering anyone they wanted, since law-abiding people would be the only ones disarmed and wouldn't be able to defend themselves.

Any other blindingly obvious things I can help you see?

The gun grabbers are to blinded by ignorance to see.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,144,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I really have my doubts that the federal government would get much help from Texas state troopers either.. I know a bunch of them too..
Hilarious tough talk from yahoos. So you think state troopers and military members would forfeit their careers instead of taking on a group of armed whiners from Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies