Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I think she might have just given those who caught it an insight into hers and similar Democrat's thinking.

She's discussing the fiscal cliff and her viewpoints and amidst it all she started to say - and I'm paraphrasing until I can maybe get an exact quote later - "....I'm just not sure we can raise revenues enough raising minimum wage - excuse me, I meant...."

I know the Dems have plans to raise the national minimum wage significantly, but never considered they might consider it a source of new tax money!

Here's the video (the mistaken comment is at 1:14):

How close is Congress to a "fiscal cliff" deal? - CBS News Video
That is how the Democrats think, they give one reason for what they want to do, and their actual reason is completely different. They will propose raising the minimum wage to help the people, while the actual reason is to raise more tax revenue.

Why don't the dems just propose legislation that will promote private sector economic growth, to spur the economy and create private sector jobs? Instead, they only hammer away at increasing the tax and regulatory burden to suck more blood from the stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Seems like you only want it to be "revealing" in the way that most suits your prejudices. I mean, if we really want to read into things she was talking about being against raising the retirement age, but accidentally said minimum wage, so I guess that means that she is really against raising the minimum wage, right? And she said that raising the minimum wage wouldn't increase revenues much, so maybe she doesn't really see it as a way to raise revenue.

Or maybe, you know, she just misspoke.
Yeah, you don't have to take it too seriously. And no, I don't think her mistake means she doesn't want to raise minimum wage. That doesn't make sense to me - I don't see how you came up with that. She seemed to be in the part of her mind that deals with ways in which she sees potential to raising revenue - and I had just never thought of Dems wanting to raise minimum wage from that angle before.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Seems like you only want it to be "revealing" in the way that most suits your prejudices. I mean, if we really want to read into things she was talking about being against raising the retirement age, but accidentally said minimum wage, so I guess that means that she is really against raising the minimum wage, right? And she said that raising the minimum wage wouldn't increase revenues much, so maybe she doesn't really see it as a way to raise revenue.

Or maybe, you know, she just misspoke.
When the most simple explanation works so quickly. Then that is what i believe.She just misspoke

Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
It stands to reason that any increase in income.... across the board, would result in an increase in revenue.

Could be why job creation was such a hot topic during this past election. Raising people's income from zero would also have resulted in an increase in tax revenue. Too bad the population didn't fall for that one.
That was a part of Romney's message, spur the economy, create jobs, and when more people have jobs, and businesses are expanding, revenue will start pouring in. Unfortunately, it fell on deaf ears, because spurring economic growth which then go on to create jobs takes time, while government give-aways from "Obama's stash" is instantaneous.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
That is how the Democrats think, they give one reason for what they want to do, and their actual reason is completely different. They will propose raising the minimum wage to help the people, while the actual reason is to raise more tax revenue.
If Pelosi really believes that raising the minimum wage is a god way to increase revenue, why did she say "raising the minimum wage...does not get you that much money"?

You are trying to have it both ways. We should read into the fact that she slipped up and mentioned "minimum wage" while talking about revenue, but apparently we should ignore that she also said it would NOT raise much revenue?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I think you are wasting a lot of time and energy over mere speculation.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
People misspeak all the time and it generally doesn't mean anything.
Except when someone like Romney does it. When that happens, it throws the forum into a lefty tizzy.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
raise minimum wage?
nothing will increase tax revenue like more unemployment and higher consumer prices

Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
If Pelosi really believes that raising the minimum wage is a god way to increase revenue, why did she say "raising the minimum wage...does not get you that much money"?

You are trying to have it both ways. We should read into the fact that she slipped up and mentioned "minimum wage" while talking about revenue, but apparently we should ignore that she also said it would NOT raise much revenue?
Maybe not a "good" way, but a way. It's just interesting to think perhaps they have a different motive for raising minimum wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think you are wasting a lot of time and energy over mere speculation.
It's just for fun.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
People misspeak all the time and it generally doesn't mean anything.

Raising the minimum wage probably won't raise tax revenue that much because minimum wage workers pay the lowest income tax rates.

As for raising the retirement age, that probably remains to be seen. There are a couple of points:

1. We're already in the middle of a process of gradually raising the age to full Social Security retirement eligibility.

2. It may be a zero-sum game because raising the retirement age may be keeping older people in jobs that would otherwise be filled by younger people, and who have no employment process if those jobs are "blocked".

As the economy improves and more people get back to work, companies will see that they have higher demand for their goods and services. That will lead them to produce more, which will lead them to need to hire more workers, those workers will have more money to spend, and the economy will improve, aggregate demand will increase, employment will increase, tax revenue will increase, and social benefit expenditures will decrease.

Keynes and Krugman are right, the Republicans and Europeans are wrong.
True BUT, do would you put it past her for this to be an actual "slip up" of what something shed rather not say publicly. Its like that dirtball in California who "slipped up" when she said she wanted to "socialize" Embarrassing pause ..."take over" companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies