Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM

420 posts, read 335,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Who amongst you will stand up and defend America for once instead of defending the Lowest Common Denominator that's sucking your wallet dry without an ounce of remorse?
Absolute nonsense. No one is sucking my wallet dry...except my wife, of course.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:34 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
You've brought up two completely separate issues:

1) Those who want to work; and
2) Those who lack a skillset

Those who want to work will work. Low wages or not, if they're responsible, they'll work as many jobs as necessary to survive.

Those who lack a skillset either make the decision to pursue a skillset, or make the decision to NOT pursue a skillset.

Those who don't want to work and/or have no desire to pursue a skillset are exactly the people i'm talking about in the OP.

Hey Aero, I can see both sides of the argument here. I've worked more than 1 job before. For many years I worked 40 hours a week at my day job, and then worked as a DJ on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. I did this for many years, until the last club that I worked at closed down, and after being in the business for years, and getting older, I was burned out. A couple years back I worked a side job for extra cash. Now again, I get what you're saying, about someone working as many jobs necessary to survive. Well, there was a time in this country, where people didn't have to do that to make ends meet. But, now with outsourcing, there is a lack of good jobs, so hence you have more people working 2 jobs to make ends meet. Not to mention companies nit pick the s*** out of potential candidates. Work should not consume your whole life. At some time you have to stop to smell the roses. Like I said, get it. It's just pretty effed up that we've become this way.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Self-interest is like water.

You will flow to what best serves your interest.

Social programs are a benefit (per this society), but they must be balanced with the potential for abuse.

Social programs, at least my theory, are wrong today. Social programs should only be focused on the transition to meaningful work. (more wage insurance/education transition then just give someone cash for X weeks).

Yet any program devised by man will have issues. . .we are always open for improvements.

This makes sense.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
You've brought up two completely separate issues:

1) Those who want to work; and
2) Those who lack a skillset

Those who want to work will work. Low wages or not, if they're responsible, they'll work as many jobs as necessary to survive.

Those who lack a skillset either make the decision to pursue a skillset, or make the decision to NOT pursue a skillset.

Those who don't want to work and/or have no desire to pursue a skillset are exactly the people i'm talking about in the OP.
Those are not separate issues. You were one of the loudest voices arguing against the McDonald's workers in NYC daring to ask for more money to survive on. Even working 80 hours a week, do you expect a single person to survive in NYC, Boston, LA w/o any kind of support from the gov't on McD wages?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Hey Aero, I can see both sides of the argument here. I've worked more than 1 job before. For many years I worked 40 hours a week at my day job, and then worked as a DJ on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. I did this for many years, until the last club that I worked at closed down, and after being in the business for years, and getting older, I was burned out. A couple years back I worked a side job for extra cash. Now again, I get what you're saying, about someone working as many jobs necessary to survive. Well, there was a time in this country, where people didn't have to do that to make ends meet. But, now with outsourcing, there is a lack of good jobs, so hence you have more people working 2 jobs to make ends meet. Not to mention companies nit pick the s*** out of potential candidates. Work should not consume your whole life. At some time you have to stop to smell the roses. Like I said, get it. It's just pretty effed up that we've become this way.
Smell the roses on your own dime not mine!!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Self-interest is like water.

You will flow to what best serves your interest.

Social programs are a benefit (per this society), but they must be balanced with the potential for abuse.

Social programs, at least my theory, are wrong today. Social programs should only be focused on the transition to meaningful work. (more wage insurance/education transition then just give someone cash for X weeks).

Yet any program devised by man will have issues. . .we are always open for improvements.
So what happens when there are more people looking for work than there are available jobs?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
No, what's pathetic is that you don't realize that such data is not available. If you know of a source that dilineates the "working poor" from the "unfortunate" from the "worthless losers," then feel free to post a link.

Until then, you're merely being obtuse by asserting that these types don't exist in abundance simply because there's no number to back it up.

I expected nothing less from a liberal. In fact, if you re-read the OP, that's EXACTLY what i'm calling out. Liberal obtusity.
Sooooo, basically you just stated that your OP is just an opinion without any substantial fact behind it.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Smell the roses on your own dime not mine!!

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I don't want to steal your money. I was only making a point as to how messed up things are in todays world. I'll work 2 jobs if I have to, and have done so, because I certainly don't want to be dependent on the government. Even a few years back when I was out of work for 4 months, I didn't receive benefits during that time. We made do with what we had, and that was that.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
America is absolutely chock -full of losers and deadbeats who'd rather not lift a finger to help themselves and instead rely on the American taxpayer to care for their every need, including food, housing, cell phones, medical care, etc.

Whenever these losers and otherwise useless people are mentioned by conservatives, the first to come to their defense is liberals with a myriad of excuses as to why we shoud all be caring, empathetic, and sympathetic citizens who willingly support the Social Safety Net Juggernaut™.

Hardly ever do we find a liberal who will forthrightly, and honestly, acknowledge that this country is full of deadbeat individuals who do not pay into the American system.

Why is this? Why is it that liberals won't for a moment acknowledge that YES there are millions upon millions of people in this country who are perpetual bad decision-makers and have no desire, will, or ability to change their worthless existence?

Who amongst you will stand up and defend America for once instead of defending the Lowest Common Denominator that's sucking your wallet dry without an ounce of remorse?
The lowest common denominator sucking wallets dry is corporate America (uncontrolled greed and low ethics)

I thought Republicans think this is the Greatest country in the World.....guess it isn't with all those "losers" running amok....

Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
If everybody had that attitude we wouldn't be in this mess. Oh well the world ends in 7 days and 4 hours so best smell ther roses now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies