Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Handgun Ban: Do Americans support a ban on civilian ownership of handguns, regardless of type?
Yes, I oppose civilian ownership of all handguns--ban them altogether. 20 11.63%
I support a ban on civillian ownership of semi-automatic handguns only. 7 4.07%
No, I do not support banning the ownership of handguns by civilians, but there are other restrictions I could support. 53 30.81%
No, I do not support a ban or any new restrictions on civilian handgun ownership. 92 53.49%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times

Advertisements

I don't think banning things is the right step, I'm sure that if they were banned, less of these incidents would be happening which is why I can see people supporting bans. BUT i don't support the taking away of an expressed right in the constitution from everyone because of a few that are wanting to commit a crime. I think it needs to be harder for people to obtain and buy guns, I would just like the prevalence of guns to diminish a bit. I really think guns are such a part of our society, that people become complacent with their guns. I know people who own a TON of guns and are VERY responsible with them, they are locked up, out of sight in their home, and never come out except to hunt or target shoot. I understand the idea of having a gun for self defense, but I think it's a double edged sword where if they're just lying around for you to easily get to for self defense, they're also laying around and easy for someone else to get a hold of and commit a crime.
I think anyone convicted of any form of violent crime should be banned from EVER owning a gun. if you've proven to society that you have violent tendencies, and you've been convicted of it by a jury of your peers, then part of that conviction should be the loss of your right to own a gun. Pulling a trigger is just too easy.. and having these triggers that can end so many lives in an instant laying around and being easily accessed, traded, bought and sold is a nightmare waiting to happen. and it's happening and continues to happen. Do I know exactly how to solve this problem? no.. but, without being an advocate of banning guns, I will say more guns is NOT an option...

Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
The delusional ones who think criminals respect laws, yes.
Amazing isn't it. People actually think that banning guns will result in criminals not having guns.

It worked so well with drugs. They're illegal and NO ONE uses them, right??? ....why not try it with guns? Maybe it will work with guns....Ugh.

The definition of stupid is doing the same thing you did before but expecting different results.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Handgun ban: Do Americans support a ban on the civilian ownership of handguns, regardless of type?
A ban on guns in America is not going to happen as there are hundreds of millions of guns out there with people threatening to die to protect their right to own them.
Tragedies like the one in Newtown are just an unfortunate consequence of so many guns in the hands of so many people in America.Banning guns?Never gonna happen..

Old 12-16-2012, 05:12 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
banning guns would be a fix.. it's been proven that it does there's plenty of countries and statistic that back it up... which is why I can see many people support it. BUT.. you cannot discount the millions of responsible gun owners that are zero threat to society.. I can't advocate the taking away of rights as a liberal.. i just can't...which is why I have a hard time siding with liberals that do on this issue... But I do think that the notions of carrying guns around everywhere u go or having them in your night stand drawer, or vehicle is really something that needs to change.. I know a lady that use to carry a small handgun in her car, it was given to her by her husband for self defense. Well her car was stolen, and so too was her gun..the car was eventually found but guess what? the gun was nowhere to be found.. where that gun is now and who has it? who the hell knows... I realize you can report the gun stolen, so that you no longer have ties to the gun, but that doesn't stop a criminal who just stole it from using it in a violent crime either.. this prevalence of guns for self defense sake are part of why there are so many guns easily accessible for crime..there is a sensible approach to this issue, but it takes a certain segment of our population to change their state of mind when it comes to gun accessibility, and prevalence.. Is what you're doing part of the problem? or a solution? can what you're doing POTENTIALLY be part of the problem?? I think those are really important questions to ask yourself if you are a gun owner... It's not always just about YOU and your family being protected by your gun..no questions asked.. there is other avenues to think about when you keep a gun readily available for self defense...

Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
banning guns would be a fix.. . I can't advocate the taking away of rights as a liberal.. i just can't...which is why I have a hard time siding with liberals that do on this issue... .
I'm just not seeing where liberals are somehow synonymous with the banning of guns, is there some form of manifesto i havent read that says some kind of commandment that all liberals must be for banning guns?and all republicans are for making as many guns as fast as you can.
Although i'm a liberal common sense would dictate no guns = no gun crime but i'm not naive enough to expect hundreds of millions of guns in the hands of millions of people to all of a sudden disappear,
America loves its guns,its the way its always been and the way it always will be and tragedies like the latest one are just an unfortunate and unavoidable consequence of so many guns in the hands of so many,while most gun owners are responsible owners those that want to take a trip off the deep end can easily find the weaponry to fulfill their delusions.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM

116 posts, read 546,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I support handgun ownership for HOME protection.
I don't approve of civilian cowboys carrying. If you not a trained law enforcement officer your a cowboy with a dangerous weapon.
Every year many of those "cowboys" save lives. The cops are all ways minutes away when seconds count.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSlave View Post
Every year many of those "cowboys" save lives. The cops are all ways minutes away when seconds count.
They could have used a cowboy in Conn the first minute since the cops were 15 minutes away.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They could have used a cowboy in Conn the first minute since the cops were 15 minutes away.
I nominate one of the BRAVEST that ever lived.

Wyatt Earp - So Cold - YouTube

Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
banning guns would be a fix.. it's been proven that it does there's plenty of countries and statistic that back it up...
I'm sure you've heard the phrases "Lies, damn lies and statistics".

If guns are the problem why does Boise have a murder rate 1/13th the national average and 1/30th that of Chicago? Guns are a lot more popular and easier to get and carry in Boise than Chicago.

Other countries banning of guns doesn't prove that is the cause of less violence. Those other countries are vastly different from the US and have a much lower murder rate in general, not just guns. Banning guns wouldn't stop the killing in the US, people would only use different methods.

Should we adopt all the other differences in those countries to stop crime as well? Make our population more homogeneous? Greatly increase the restrictions on immigration? Magically make our country 1/10th it's current size and population?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm just not seeing where liberals are somehow synonymous with the banning of guns,
Are you kidding? You really don't see it? You don't suppose that it has anything to do with liberal politicians pushing for banning guns and more gun control every chance they get do you? When was the last time you saw a liberal politician who DIDN'T support gun bans? When was the last time you saw a conservative politician who DID?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies