Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

We must have worked 40 quarters (10 years) to be able to qualify for Social Security benefits. Besides immigrants that come to this country, I don't know too many people that work LESS than that. Most of my friends and family are working stiffs. In fact, most of us have been working since we were 16 or so. Why is the requirement so seemingly low? Maybe 10 years was average when the Act was written in the 1930s in order to accommodate those that were already aged into their 50s and below? I don't think that it's fair that an immigrant can come to our country, work 10 years (sometimes less) and qualifies for the same benefits (Medicare, Social Security and SSI) that a native born works his whole life for. By the same token, why should a modern day stay-at-home mom be entitled to a Social Security check based on husband's wages when she qualifies? That's also outdated and takes away from the rest of us who work for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Whats the difference between a "modern day stay-at-home-mom" vs those in the past?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
We must have worked 40 quarters (10 years) to be able to qualify for Social Security benefits. Besides immigrants that come to this country, I don't know too many people that work LESS than that. Most of my friends and family are working stiffs. In fact, most of us have been working since we were 16 or so. Why is the requirement so seemingly low? Maybe 10 years was average when the Act was written in the 1930s in order to accommodate those that were already aged into their 50s and below? I don't think that it's fair that an immigrant can come to our country, work 10 years (sometimes less) and qualifies for the same benefits (Medicare, Social Security and SSI) that a native born works his whole life for. By the same token, why should a modern day stay-at-home mom be entitled to a Social Security check based on husband's wages when she qualifies? That's also outdated and takes away from the rest of us who work for a living.
I've heard blacks comment - with a shorter expected lifespan - why they are paying into a system that they may not be able to use as much...

Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I've heard blacks comment - with a shorter expected lifespan - why they are paying into a system that they may not be able to use as much...
That is also true.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
I'm disagreeing with your point, but just as a comment - you do get benefits based on what you paid into it. So the person did that work for a few years will not get the same payment that someone does who worked for 50 years.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:24 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
This is also true of men vs women.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I'm disagreeing with your point, but just as a comment - you do get benefits based on what you paid into it. So the person did that work for a few years will not get the same payment that someone does who worked for 50 years.
Exactly. The quarters are a minimum. I think my late mother got maybe $350/month based on her spotty and low-paid work history.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes, that's true, but Social Security is an extremely "progressive" taxation. The poorer folks receive a higher proportion of their contributions back when they collect, while the ones who contribute the most during their lifetimes receive a lower proportion of their stolen earnings. The folks who receive below a certain amount (~$675/mo or so) also qualify for SSI, a supplemental entitlement to get them up to minimum sustenance. This also automatically qualifies them for full medicaid benefits. I know because I've helped some people qualify for it. The max benefit that a person can qualify for is $2,400/mo. SS is nothing but theft from productive/lucky in life people to give to immigrants, lazy and/or wealthy stay at home moms, non-working people or people who prefer to work "off the books." From an actuarial standpoint, it is also unfair to take earnings from men, blacks at the same rate when their mortality rates are so much higher.

Last edited by wehotex; 12-16-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Yes, that's true, but Social Security is an extremely "progressive" taxation. The poorer folks receive a higher proportion of their contributions back when they collect, while the ones who contribute the most during their lifetimes receive a lower proportion of their stolen earnings. The folks who receive below a certain amount (~$675/mo or so) also qualify for SSI, a supplemental entitlement to get them up to minimum sustenance. This also automatically qualifies them for full medicaid benefits. I know because I've helped some people qualify for it. The max benefit that a person can qualify for is $2,400/mo. SS is nothing but theft from productive people to give to immigrants, lazy and/or wealthy stay at home moms, non-working people or people who prefer to work "off the books." From an actuarial standpoint, it is also unfair to take earnings from men, blacks at the same rate when their mortality rates are so much higher.
Well you can't cut back. SS is turning into the primary retirement income for future generations.
Pensions are gone. You have 401K plans but their balances are abysmal.
The young today do not have the same investment opportunities as older adults had due to less disposable income.

SS was set up to be supplemental to your retirement and a Plan B for spouses that didn't work.

And while the younger workers claim it won't be there for them and to get rid of it, they don't state how they plan to fund their retirement income.

If anything, I think more and more will come to depend on SS as their primary and only source of retirement income.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Good points. The typical American works and pays in at least 40 years. The 40 quarters is equivalent to just 10 years --- the very short work requirement is obviously to accomodate those who come here, work on and off for a few years and then can expect a nice comfy retirement here.

Most American stay-at-home moms work at least part-time once kids are back in school -- but they're covered by their spouses' social security. The stay at home spouses of those that put in only 40 quarters also get in on social security.

One of the first things that could be done to save social security is up that 40 quarters to 40 yeas. If you didn't pay in for 40 years, too bad, so sad, a very large number have paid in 50 years or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies