Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
This is where liberals get it all wrong. Most liberals base their beliefs on emotion. I doubt any conservative 'loves' his/her piece of metal any more than you 'love' your car. You are wrong about the reasons behind why people own a gun. Not every person has the same reason, but we have the same right to own one in this country and this is what brings the passionate defense of owning guns. Lots of people own guns for hunting, and lots of people own for target practice as a hobby. I would say where I came from that most people had a gun legally or illegally for their own protection though just as many inner city citizens/criminals do. The gun is like the knife, it just sits there unless someone makes a decision to use it. The gun can be regulated or banned, but there will always be people who don't care about the laws.
I don't know why folks keep saying liberals this or that. If an incident like this doesn't give you a moments pause about some of your beliefs about guns that's troubling. Several conservatives have come out today talking about the need for a discussion about these weapons. The area this happened it although in a blue state is conservative and has an active gun culture. As recently as a few months ago the Republican controlled city council was contemplating curbing some if these guns on local ranges because hunters were complaining.

They have no place in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 AM

376 posts, read 295,665 times
I bought a handgun the other day. The meteoric increase in my personal power was instantaneous and spectacular. My truck started getting better gas mileage, my dog quit crapping on the carpet and the water spots on the dishes all but disappeared. As I walked through the mall, lost in thought on the majic of gun ownership, my only interruption was the muffled plop of panties hitting the floor.

But no, I still don't "love" my guns.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The only logical reason why anyone would "love" a piece of metal that is designed to kill or maim is the sense of power and self esteem it gives the owner.

This discussion isn't about whether the 2nd amendment gives you the right to bear arms. It's about people who are passionate about their guns. Gun nuts.

It's one thing to own a gun, it's another to be in love with it.

Fallacious arguments are the tools of deviants and idiots.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
This is where liberals get it all wrong. Most liberals base their beliefs on emotion. I doubt any conservative 'loves' his/her piece of metal any more than you 'love' your car. You are wrong about the reasons behind why people own a gun. Not every person has the same reason, but we have the same right to own one in this country and this is what brings the passionate defense of owning guns. Lots of people own guns for hunting, and lots of people own for target practice as a hobby. I would say where I came from that most people had a gun legally or illegally for their own protection though just as many inner city citizens/criminals do. The gun is like the knife, it just sits there unless someone makes a decision to use it. The gun can be regulated or banned, but there will always be people who don't care about the laws.
I don't love my car or any car, I appreciate it and am grateful for it, but I don't get any sense of power over another human being because of it.

I never made any assumptions about people owning a gun. I made an observation about people who are passionate about gun(s). I've thought about buying a gun but decided not to. I know a few gun owners who view their gun as a tool and nothing more. I also know some gun owners who get a sense of power from it and their instant reaction when they hear about a crime is to assume super hero attitude, wishing they were at the scene of the crime as it unfolded.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
The only logical reason why anyone would "love" a piece of metal that is designed to kill or maim is the sense of power and self esteem it gives the owner.

This discussion isn't about whether the 2nd amendment gives you the right to bear arms. It's about people who are passionate about their guns. Gun nuts.

Thank You Dr. Savoir Faire. Your expert opinion based on decades of research is quite invaluable.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:

What of it?

Some people collect guitars, guns, crossbows, knives, or stamps. It's all done for the same basic reasons, they like possessing them, and having the best, or rarest, or newest thing, makes them feel fulfilled, and yes, maybe even imbues them feelings of superiority or empowerment.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Loving children is not quite the same as loving an object designed to kill.
Well, as CT showed, so are some children. By the way, you can't "kill" targets!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I will be 80 tomorrow and have never owned a gun till last Tuesday when I bought a handgun for my birthday. I didn't know it would give me a false sense of security and power, but if you say so it may make my advancing age a bit less sad.
Happy Birthday and good for you. I live in a remote area and once dialed 911 by mistake. I was dialing the area code 919 and hung up after 91 because I realized I didn't first dial one for a long distance call. I didn't hang up long enough to get a dial tone, so 911 was called. Even if you dial 911 by mistake, the police still come to the house. It took the sheriff 45 minutes to get to my house. If I were ever in urgent need of a police officer, I'd be SOL. I live in AZ and would like to get a pistol for my own protection. A gun wouldn't make me feel powerful, and I've yet to feel passionate over an inanimate object, but it would give me a better sense of security. My safety is important to me.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Happy Birthday and good for you. I live in a remote area and once dialed 911 by mistake. I was dialing the area code 919 and hung up after 91 because I realized I didn't first dial one for a long distance call. I didn't hang up long enough to get a dial tone, so 911 was called. Even if you dial 911 by mistake, the police still come to the house. It took the sheriff 45 minutes to get to my house. If I were ever in urgent need of a police officer, I'd be SOL. I live in AZ and would like to get a pistol for my own protection. A gun wouldn't make me feel powerful, and I've yet to feel passionate over an inanimate object, but it would give me a better sense of security. My safety is important to me.
Which is my point. It's one thing to own a gun, it's another to be fascinated with many guns,

The word gun nut comes to mind when I think of people who are obsessed with guns.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

They have no place in society.
I've said this numerous times, It does not matter what laws are in place because law abiding citizens will not be the ones using registered assault weapons to do drive-by shootings, home invasions, armed robberies ect...You think the government and police can suddenly find all of the millions of illegal weapons and have criminals turn them in? These laws and new controls will not do anything, but make it harder for criminals like this classroom killer be able to open fire in a gun free zone. If you were a criminal would you register a weapon you bought off the street or from a cartel knowing you were going to shoot some people? Would you follow any of the new regulations if you had plans of killing some people? How do you suggest eliminating all guns? Criminals will not be following regulations. Hate to break it to you, but I grew up in the inner city and knew plenty of people who could get a gun without going through the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies