Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
How does the number of rounds in the "clip" determine with a gun is for "recreational use." Wouldn't that pretty much be determined by the intent of the owner? If a shopkeeper buys a 1911 45 ACP pistol that holds seven rounds, to protect against robbery, it's not for recreational use, is it? But if a guy buys an AR that holds 30 rounds, for purposes of entering a rifle competition, then that's "recreational use."

AR's that hold 30 rounds should only be in the hands of the police or military, not civilians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
AR's that hold 30 rounds should only be in the hands of the police or military, not civilians.
Why? If a law abiding citizen wants to own a weapon that holds 30 rounds in the magazine, why should that be prohibited? Empirical evidence shows that these types of firearms are used in a very small percentage of assaults, so how does limiting their ownership make any difference in gun crimes?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
No one needs an assault weapon until under assault.
Then one needs as much firepower as one can muster.
If you are already under assault, then it is too late to buy that assault weapon. It is best to have it available BEFORE one is assaulted.

It is always better to have a firearm and not need it, than to need a firearm and not have it.

Last edited by Glitch; 12-17-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Typically the many are never severely penalized for the actions of the very few who are not part of society. That has been the case in these shootings. Safeguards are put in place to limit the actions of deviants and they do affect the law abiding but one does not deny the law abiding a right to constrain others who act outside the law.

I think that is the principle behind law in the USA.

This rightfully should be more of a case on how to constrain the mentally unstable from commiting crimes. I think a case can be made for this stretching back to Columbine. Mass shootings in the USA a rarity before although there was the "Postal" monicker a few years prior to that.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Why? If a law abiding citizen wants to own a weapon that holds 30 rounds in the magazine, why should that be prohibited? Empirical evidence shows that these types of firearms are used in a very small percentage of assaults, so how does limiting their ownership make any difference in gun crimes?
They used semi-automatic weapons with multiple rounds in just about every mass murder, VA Tech, Aurora, etc, Yes weapons with multiple round magazines should be restricted.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
You can own cars and not hold a lic to operate one.
You only need a Lic to drive one on the public streets.
remember you can hire a driver if you don't or can't drive.
I can own a plane too and not have a pilot lic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
One needs a driver's license to buy a car, don't they? Besides, your analogy is bogus.
Im all for a more stringent record keeping and such but I'm not for limiting what I can own.
But all the laws and restrictions do not stop the criminal or the mentally ill.

I think this all starts with poor parenting and the little value some put on human life.
If you want to change things, start at home.

Until then we need to arm our selves.

Going to get my permit to acquire ahead of time
This allows me to buy for a year with having to wait a week.
my wife wants a pocket gun and she wants to get her CC permit also.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Not in my opinion. Citizens should not be hopelessly outgunned by the King's men.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
I think you are helping to make the case for banning weapons like this.
Weapons like what??

Did you even read my post? Anyone even moderately familiar with a weapon, with the right equipment, can put 30 rounds downrange in 2 minutes with any weapon. If that is to be the definition of "assault weapon" you've just labeled every firearm an "assault weapon".

Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Not in my opinion. Citizens should not be hopelessly outgunned by the King's men.
The anti-Second Amendment crowd wants "subjects", not "citizens."

Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
They used semi-automatic weapons with multiple rounds in just about every mass murder, VA Tech, Aurora, etc, Yes weapons with multiple round magazines should be restricted.
You didn't answer my question, which was "How is banning these firearms going to stop gun related crimes?"

At Columbine, there were no "assault weapons" used, but the perpetrators still managed to kill 12 people and injure 21 more. All of the weapons used carried less than 30 rounds.

At Virginia Tech, the firearms used were a .22-caliber Walther P22 semi-automatic handgun and a 9 mm semi-automatic Glock 19 handgun. Neither of these has a 30 round magazine, yet the perpetrator managed to kill 31 people and injure 17 others.

At Aurora, CO, the high-capacity magazine for the one and only "assault rifle" that was used jammed after firing less than 30 rounds. The perpetrator then switched to using a handgun. The shotgun that he started shooting with did not carry 30 rounds and would not have fallen under the category of "assault weapon" as defined in the dismal legislative failure that was the 1994 assault weapons ban.

Now that you have a few facts about the crimes that you erroneously used to try to prove an invalid point, please answer my question: "How will banning firearms with a 30 round magazine from the general, law-abiding public stop gun related crimes?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies