Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
It would be a unique situation indeed to have a legit purpose to shoot someone at that distance.

What I'm attempting to do is to educate and bring logic into a very sensitive topic. Everyone is prattling on about "assault weapons" when the statistics are clear. Even assuming every single death from a rifle was an "assault weapon" (and it wasn't), and assuming that removing them from circulation would have prevented all 358 murders, as opposed to merely forcing the perp to use a different weapon (and it wouldn't), you've still only eliminated enough murders to be within statistical randomness.

In other words, you've accomplished nothing but violating the civil rights of millions of Americans.
We are on the same side of the fence, but i still don't know what you are talking about.

I am working out details and have over that past month to buy a AR-15 or more likely an Ar-10.

There are so many choices on each and every part, and so many different round now that the decision has become a mind boggling task. None of what I am after qualifies as 'Assault Rifle' since i don't have 15,000+ to spend.

However any of them have more stopping power than my .45, no matter which one i happen to have.

Of those I mostly carry a Govt model made in later WW-2, I have another after market that cost more is lighter materials, and has a shorter barrel.

The last is a poly frame and is used working where I will sweat a lot or I will be in snow or rain...

So far as i would know most criminal assault distance varies widely, and this makes it quite impossible for me to say what any self defense distance might be.

In my personal case that distance was less than 15 feet, as the bad guy was closing... I was standing in my doorway, and limited by the wire to my phone.

Also I am not one of the 'they' who are "prattling on about "assault weapons".

I am just not clear on what it is you are working up to yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
See the whole problem with banning guns is impossible to discuss with Lefties because they assign INTENTIONS onto inanimate objects!

They see a gun and THEIR intentions are BAD so therefore YOUR intentions MUST be bad as well...

Plenty of double standards though, Like the Turners/Fonda, Michael Moore and every other Lefty that has either a gun or a SECURITY TEAM to protect them! ...Yet call for US to be unarmed.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am working out details and have over that past month to buy a AR-15 or more likely an Ar-10.
Mine is a Smith & Wesson M&P15OR, it's a quality platform for a reasonable price (well, 2 weeks ago anyway). I don't think they make an AR10, but you can always get a different upper.

Quote:
There are so many choices on each and every part, and so many different round now that the decision has become a mind boggling task.
If you need advice, hit me up on PM.

Quote:
However any of them have more stopping power than my .45, no matter which one i happen to have.
You're right. I didn't factor muzzle velocity into my thinking, and didn't realize there was such a large difference. F=ma.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
See the whole problem with banning guns is impossible to discuss with Lefties because they assign INTENTIONS onto inanimate objects!

They see a gun and THEIR intentions are BAD so therefore YOUR intentions MUST be bad as well...

Plenty of double standards though, Like the Turners/Fonda, Michael Moore and every other Lefty that has either a gun or a SECURITY TEAM to protect them! ...Yet call for US to be unarmed.
They want compromise? I propose even compromise then...

Compromise is give and take right?

I'll agree to a ten round detachable magazine limit if those that are ready owned are grandfathered and new ones made will be law enforcement marked only and not sold outside if the 1934 act is repealed and general citizens can buy and own full auto firearms without registering because a 10 round limit won;t make a difference anyway full auto or not right?

I'll agree to a fee for firearms sales going to mental health care if the same fee is applied to movie and music sales.

I'll agree to a more stringent mental health check being or waiting period made if all registry of owners weapons are banned.

I'll agree to gun free zones if the 2nd amendment is amended to include the words " the right to own a pistol, rifle or shotgun of any kind is a individual right for the citizen"

That is fair compromise.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
How about we just disarm the CRIMINALS instead!

Let's just make it illegal for them to use ANYTHING as a weapon...heck While we're at it, let's make it illegal to commit a crime....YAY ME! I FEEL better now! I solved the problem!

Seriously though...there are those that want to go door to door disarming law abiding citizens.

Why not just do a Countrywide search warrant for known criminals instead and go get them ,confiscate THEIR weapons and then lock THEM away? Oh, yeah....that would've taken Obama's lead away in the last puppet show!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:

I am beginning to have second thoughts concerning the clarion call by the anti-gun fanatics for a ban on firearms. In part I see it as a good thing. Not that actually banning any firearm is a good thing, but every time the anti-gun fanatics call for a ban on firearms, firearm sales shoot through the roof. For example, Brownell sold more high capacity magazines in the last three days than they have sold in the last three years.

We also know that there will be no new federal law concerning firearms coming out of the completely grid-locked Congress. So these anti-gun fanatics are a boon to the firearms industry. At least that is one US industry that we know will continue to flourish.

NOTE: I know many "lefties" who are just as staunchly supportive of the individual right to own firearms as you or I. I also know a few "righties" that do not support the individual right to own firearms, like Romney and Giuliani. The support or opposition to the Second Amendment is not a partisan issue, it crosses both party boundaries.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Oh I see you don't like it when one of your own gets busted for a breech of LAW..... There is No excuse.
I thought you were all for educating the people ? Who is pressing charges against NBC , be specific ?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
How about we just disarm the CRIMINALS instead!

Let's just make it illegal for them to use ANYTHING as a weapon...heck While we're at it, let's make it illegal to commit a crime....YAY ME! I FEEL better now! I solved the problem!

Seriously though...there are those that want to go door to door disarming law abiding citizens.

Why not just do a Countrywide search warrant for known criminals instead and go get them ,confiscate THEIR weapons and then lock THEM away? Oh, yeah....that would've taken Obama's lead away in the last puppet show!
Explain why they won't let you on an airplane, because you are on the no fly list because of your record, yet, you can buy a gun,no problem.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
They want compromise? I propose even compromise then...

Compromise is give and take right?

I'll agree to a ten round detachable magazine limit if those that are ready owned are grandfathered and new ones made will be law enforcement marked only and not sold outside if the 1934 act is repealed and general citizens can buy and own full auto firearms without registering because a 10 round limit won;t make a difference anyway full auto or not right?

I'll agree to a fee for firearms sales going to mental health care if the same fee is applied to movie and music sales.

I'll agree to a more stringent mental health check being or waiting period made if all registry of owners weapons are banned.

I'll agree to gun free zones if the 2nd amendment is amended to include the words " the right to own a pistol, rifle or shotgun of any kind is a individual right for the citizen"

That is fair compromise.
. Ok, then you need to go after people that drive cars. All drivers license are considered A privilege not a right , right ?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Yes we know who is selling Full Autos to the Mexican Drug Cartels. BATFE and Obama that's WHO. We now call it Fast and Furious.
I think that failed attempt At rooting out the gun dealers was no longer being done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies