Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times

Advertisements

Another person killed by their own gun. This is seriously messed up.

Quote:
The two witnesses said Perry was displaying his recently purchased .25-caliber handgun when "he set the safety, pointed the gun at his face, pulled the trigger and the safety didn't work,"
Cops: Man fatally shoots himself while showing off new gun's safety - chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
They just keep coming in.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,404 times
Well, that's very unfortunate. When I was a small child, the first lesson my parents taught me about gun safety was to NEVER point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot, even if you're sure it's not loaded.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Well, that's very unfortunate. When I was a small child, the first lesson my parents taught me about gun safety was to NEVER point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot, even if you're sure it's not loaded.
I've been told to never point a gun at something you are not prepared to kill.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

Cops: Man fatally shoots himself while showing off new gun's safety - chicagotribune.com

That must have really been a show for his friends!

Quote:
the mishap occurred around 5 p.m. Friday as Perry was sitting in a vehicle in front of his home with two other people.

The two witnesses said Perry was displaying his recently purchased .25-caliber handgun when "he set the safety, pointed the gun at his face, pulled the trigger and the safety didn't work," Roechner said. Perry was shot in the right side of his face near his nose.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:

Well he was accurate 100% of the time for his career.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,404 times
Quote:
I've been told to never point a gun at something you are not prepared to kill.
Actually, you're correct, that's much closer to the message that was conveyed to me. I was also told that, if I ever had to shoot somebody to protect myself, that I should shoot to kill. I know it's an old cliche, but it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by six.

Anyways, getting back to the spirit of this article, I don't see how you could possibly count this as gun violence. The same man could just as easily been killed in a traffic accident showing off how fast his new sports car is. It's a shame that it took place, don't get me wrong, but it was an accident.

Edit: Who in their right minds was showing off their new gun the evening after the tragedy at Sandyhook? I mean, I am firmly against gun control, but show a little class.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Actually, you're correct, that's much closer to the message that was conveyed to me. I was also told that, if I ever had to shoot somebody to protect myself, that I should shoot to kill. I know it's an old cliche, but it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by six.

Anyways, getting back to the spirit of this article, I don't see how you could possibly count this as gun violence. The same man could just as easily been killed in a traffic accident showing off how fast his new sports car is. It's a shame that it took place, don't get me wrong, but it was an accident.
We must have many hours of classroom and behind the wheel instruction and take both written and driving tests before being allowed to drive a car. Do you think this guy might have been alive if he had to take instruction classes on gun safety before he was allowed to purchase a gun?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
I took a coarse in gun safety.. From my father.. All guns are loaded...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies