Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times

Advertisements

More things called facts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/op...ml?ref=opinion

Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
So what you are saying is that once again the US is better than the rest of the world? HELL YEAH!! USA! USA! USA!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
So what you are saying is that once again the US is better than the rest of the world? HELL YEAH!! USA! USA! USA!
Yep. We are better at killing people with guns.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:43 AM

800 posts, read 781,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Thanks for posting this. It once again proves my point that demographics are more representative of the problem than gun ownership rate.

The chart clearly shows that countries with high income inequality or are less wealthy as a whole, have way higher rates of gun violence than countries with relatively low income inequality.

In addition these statistics, while looking at gun violence, fall to take in the whole scope of violence in a country, therefore it does not display how gun bans may/may not make criminals resort to other means as history has shown them to do. (N. Ireland and Japan, for example)

Only people who lack analytical skills will insist on comparing the US to any W. Euro state. Apples and Oranges.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Thanks for posting this. It once again proves my point that demographics are more representative of the problem than gun ownership rate.

The chart clearly shows that countries with high income inequality or are less wealthy as a whole, have way higher rates of gun violence than countries with relatively low income inequality.

In addition these statistics, while looking at gun violence, fall to take in the whole scope of violence in a country, therefore it does not display how gun bans may/may not make criminals resort to other means as history has shown them to do. (N. Ireland and Japan, for example)

Only people who lack analytical skills will insist on comparing the US to any W. Euro state. Apples and Oranges.
Tell that to those 20 kids parents.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
nly people who lack analytical skills will insist on comparing the US to any W. Euro state. Apples and Oranges.
And why exactly are the US and Western European nations such an "apples to oranges" comparison? What about Canada or Australia? Care to elaborate on why all of these countries are poor comparisons?

You're arguing that we, out of all the developed world, have this solely unique socioeconomic order that makes us extra violent?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
How disgusting, to invoke a tragedy to promote your agenda. Those of us that believe in the 2nd Amendment are grieving over those children. But the left's ability to exploit tragedy, and try to make us look cold hearted, when in fact they are the ones being cold hearted, is amazing.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And why exactly are the US and Western European nations such an "apples to oranges" comparison? What about Canada or Australia? Care to elaborate on why all of these countries are poor comparisons?

You're arguing that we, out of all the developed world, have this solely unique socioeconomic order that makes us extra violent?
I don't believe ANY of them have a constitutional right to bear arms. So any discussion regarding guns must take that into consideration.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
This thread is about the role of guns in American crime and how it is a uniquely American problem. While this problem is uniquely American, I contend it is for other reasons than many, particularly liberals, assume. My contentions are backed by numerous studies.

Resorting to tactics like this is literally utterly pointless and juvenile. Trust me, my heart goes out to every single one of the parents I can't even imagine the pain and suffering.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Yes, are you kidding? Just spend 20 minutes on World Bank DataBank and you'll be blown away.

But for the sake of elaborating...

The majority of gun related crimes are not mass shootings, but homicides that kill one to two people.

The vast majority of these crimes are committed in low income areas. Low income areas are more prone to violent crimes of all types including gun violence.

The above stats are common knowledge. I'd be happy to find studies if you like but any competent person can look something up on google scholar.

Continuing.

Most OECD (West European) countries, have what is called a compressed wage scale. A compressed wage scale occurs in a country with a high mean income with low income inequality. Thus, these countries have small populations of the low income people most likely to commit gun violence.

The US on the other hand, does not have what would be considered a compressed wage scale. (US Census Report) The US has a high rate of income inequality and a much higher rate of low income people. I'm sure most liberals would agree with this and most studies if not all agree the US has higher income inequality rates than W. Europe.

Therefore,

Since the United States has a higher proportion of low income people and low income people are far and away the most likely to commit gun crimes, it should not be surprising that the United States has a higher rate of gun crimes, based on these demographics.

For example, despite incredibly tough gun control laws, Chicago, particularly the poorer Southside has a very high rate of gun related homicides, compared to wealthy Southern suburbs with very high gun ownership rates, such as The Woodlands, TX or Mountain Brook, AL.

These demographics can be further broken down, but I believe this should suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies