Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You're comparing God to a Vaudeville act? For the record, people who believe in God are not looking to the sky because they think God is there.
Haha, well played sir (in reference to the bold). By the way I'm being sincere, I thought that was funny even though you disagree with me.

And yes, I guess I am comparing the two. Might as well be.

And sorry, I forgot people who believe every species was put on a boat for 40 days and 40 nights are too dignified to believe that God is literally in the sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you believe in ghosts? Betcha do!

FYI, it's just as preposterous.
I can't speak for the other user, but I definitely don't believe in ghosts. I would assume most atheists don't.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is hilarious. I always get a good laugh out of threads where unbelievers pretend to know what Christians believe, or what God says. Too funny!
Well when a believer actually says something, it's hard to say that person doesn't believe it.

But obviously not all Christians are that loony. I should know that based on my experiences with non loony Christians. Seems on the internet the crazy ones are more prevalent though.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Well when a believer actually says something, it's hard to say that person doesn't believe it.

But obviously not all Christians are that loony. I should know that based on my experiences with non loony Christians. Seems on the internet the crazy ones are more prevalent though.
Only a certain segment of Christians, the Christian right,

from the article

"Most Catholics (60 percent) and white non-evangelical Protestants (65 percent) say they believe disasters like hurricanes and floods are the result of climate change."

Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
40% of Americans reject evolution, so it's not much of a stretch.
Lets see the source on that one. Oh, and make sure to show me the poll where it says they "reject" evolution because phrasing is really really important when taking polls.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lets see the source on that one. Oh, and make sure to show me the poll where it says they "reject" evolution because phrasing is really really important when taking polls.
It's actually 46%

http://http://www.theblaze.com/stori...n-do-you-poll/

Half of Americans believe in creationism and just 15 percent accept evolution | Mail Online

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Haha, well played sir (in reference to the bold). By the way I'm being sincere, I thought that was funny even though you disagree with me.

And yes, I guess I am comparing the two. Might as well be.

And sorry, I forgot people who believe every species was put on a boat for 40 days and 40 nights are too dignified to believe that God is literally in the sky.
I'm a christian and I fully recognize that the story of Noah's ark is really a parable to a great extent.

If it makes you happy to pick on some of the people that are less informed then suit yourself. My mom believes it literally but she's not very educated and so forth.

You want me to go scrape up some 3rd grade educated atheists to pillory of their laughable reasoning?

So, I leave you with your un-provable faith in nothing...it's just a different kind of faith.

We can certainly both agree that there are a lot of nutty ill-informed religious types out there, your being smarter and better informed than them....doesn't make either of you right now does it. heh.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Ok, I looked at the gallup poll and I see where my cynicism paid off.

That poll only talks about the HUMAN part of evolution. There are more flavors of belief than just a couple choices. I've met people that believe in evolution with regards to animals, plants etc. but just not humans.

I don't doubt the 40% number if it were specifically notes as being HUMAN evolution.

I know it's not logical to belived one type and not the other, I was just surprised by the magnitude of the 40% "rejecting evolution" which distinctly implies they reject ALL evolution.

thanks for you informative post. +1

Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
In the days before the Great Flood, people scoffed at Noah building the ark.

So it will be when the Son of Man returns.

Let he/she whom has ears, hear.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
In the days before the Great Flood, people scoffed at Noah building the ark.

So it will be when the Son of Man returns.

Let he/she whom has ears, hear.
And he who has a life preserver swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies