Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 16,629,409 times

Advertisements

Is it acceptable to you that 20 little children were slaughtered by a military assault rifle that was obtained legally by an unqualified citizen with a mentally unstable child in the house?

All I've seen is "Arm the teachers" That is not practical. That is idiotic.

So what are your suggestions on how we deal with this ever worsening situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,624,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Is it acceptable to you that 20 little children were slaughtered by a military assault rifle that was obtained legally by an unqualified citizen with a mentally unstable child in the house?

They would prefer inaction it appears. Well, other than arming all the school teachers.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,230,272 times
What do you mean by "pro gun." My family hunts, we live in a rural area (farming and ranching country) and we have a case full of rifles and shotguns. We use them to 1) hunt, 2) kill wild critters when they're in the wrong place (like attacking livestock) or when they're dangerous to people, and 3) protect ourselves in the rare event that someone would try to break into our home (which has never happened, as it has never happened to anyone that we personally know). Still--people do have break ins out here, and law enforcement isn't just a few minutes away. I think you'd be surprised at the number of people like my family who would support regulation on high capacity magazines--the kind that let you shoot lots of ammo in seconds without reloading. It's driving me crazy that some on both sides of this issue are trying to make it black and white--either you're "pro gun" or "anti gun" when it's a lot more complicated than that.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,082,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Works in Israel.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Works in Israel.
Tell me - how many teachers do you think are armed in Israel?

Are you aware of their strict gun laws?

I didn't think so.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,583,402 times
There is no answer. No solution. Chicago, as has been pointed out multiple times, has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation and yet has one of the highest murder rates. Make guns illegal and the illegal trade in guns will go off the scale coming in from Mexico or elsewhere. There is no solution. Sad.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,619,587 times
I haven't either, but then again, I haven't seen a practical solution from anyone.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
What do you mean by "pro gun." My family hunts, we live in a rural area (farming and ranching country) and we have a case full of rifles and shotguns. We use them to 1) hunt, 2) kill wild critters when they're in the wrong place (like attacking livestock) or when they're dangerous to people, and 3) protect ourselves in the rare event that someone would try to break into our home (which has never happened, as it has never happened to anyone that we personally know). Still--people do have break ins out here, and law enforcement isn't just a few minutes away. I think you'd be surprised at the number of people like my family who would support regulation on high capacity magazines--the kind that let you shoot lots of ammo in seconds without reloading. It's driving me crazy that some on both sides of this issue are trying to make it black and white--either you're "pro gun" or "anti gun" when it's a lot more complicated than that.
I applaud your moderation. What you state is really what the so-called 'anti gun' people are looking for.

Unfortunately, it seems CD tends to attract the more extreme positions on either side so we just go around in endless circles.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,424,828 times
If you haven't heard any pro-gun owners offer suggestions (from experience), then you haven't been listening. 3 meaningful things could have prevented all of these mass shootings:
1) Background checks (including mental health checks) on all weapon sales (including gun show sales and personal sales). This one would have stopped the VA Tech shooting and the Aurora one if #3 would have been done prior.
2) Mandatory trigger locks on all weapons (or gun locker/safes) by law. This one would have prevented Sandy Hook and the Oregon Mall shooting. No one wants to steal guns that have trigger locks (if you try to destroy the lock - you destroy the trigger mechanism - thus, the gun).
3) And this has nothing to do with guns, but our mental health care needs to be overhauled and effective in treating those with illness.

These 3 have been offered up. I didn't just think these up.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 AM

10,650 posts, read 10,765,046 times
OK,It's a snow day so I'll bite...You won't agree with a single one of my personal suggestions but here it goes.....
1) Immediately confiscate, register, control, limit acess too any and all violent video games.
2) Cease and desist the mainstreaming of the mentally ill. Re-establish a modern institutional care network for same...
3) Return to society the importance, control, and power of the monogamous two parent male/female family units, With the power to discipline children.
4)Cease and desist the policy of making everyone a winner...Kids need to be taught that there are loser and winners....
5) Return firearm training to the elementary/middle school ciriculium where it used to be...

should I waste more band width???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies