Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:37 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/op...good.html?_r=0

RACIST admissions process:

Quote:
AT the end of this month, high school seniors will submit their college applications and begin waiting to hear where they will spend the next four years of their lives. More than they might realize, the outcome will depend on race. If you are Asian, your chances of getting into the most selective colleges and universities will almost certainly be lower than if you are white.

Asian-Americans constitute 5.6 percent of the nation’s population but 12 to 18 percent of the student body at Ivy League schools. But if judged on their merits — grades, test scores, academic honors and extracurricular activities — Asian-Americans are underrepresented at these schools. Consider that Asians make up anywhere from 40 to 70 percent of the student population at top public high schools like Stuyvesant and Bronx Science in New York City, Lowell in San Francisco and Thomas Jefferson in Alexandria, Va., where admissions are largely based on exams and grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Since 39% and 41% of the 2011 freshman classes at UCLA & Stanford were Asians, that article is hogwash.

Trying to take those results for Ivy League schools as proof that Asians are discriminated against everywhere is pretty pathetic 'journalism'.

To add insult to injury, Asians also have a higher rate of acceptance for mortgages than whites do.

Some discrimination, huh?

Old 12-25-2012, 12:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Since 39% and 41% of the 2011 freshman classes at UCLA & Stanford were Asians, that article is hogwash.

Trying to take those results for Ivy League schools as proof that Asians are discriminated against everywhere is pretty pathetic 'journalism'.

To add insult to injury, Asians also have a higher rate of acceptance for mortgages than whites do.

Some discrimination, huh?
52% Chinese Americans have a bachelor's degree or higher. Only 28% white.
You wonder why they get mortgages easily?

Old 12-25-2012, 03:22 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
This subject has been brought up before. It boils down to different cultures, different values. White v. Asian.

The fact that education is and has been part of Asian culture for generations, and the importance of a good education is instilled in Asian children at an early age as opposed to the education that starts at a very early age white children get which would be having the latest mobile, game, brandname sneakers, ipad, just might be the difference? Arranging "play dates"?? Ask an Asian how many "play dates" they had in their life. They probably had limited play time and they certainly had family time, but play dates? I don't think so.

While Asians have their heads buried in books, whites are playing sports and games and think that getting "high score" somehow has "value".

If white people harbor any resentment to Asians succeeding, maybe they should get more serious about education and get on board and stop thinking that being white is a privilege towards an entitlement to a mediocre education in a field of study where there is no demand. We are limited in fields of study because we have lost so much to outsourcing and insourcing due to uneducated/unqualified Americans. Studying in an area where there is a demand, and there is plenty of info out there as to the future growing markets, is the way to go if one wants a future. It would also require one to compete for a job because limited job markets are going to be a highly competitive.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:36 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Based on anecdotal evidence, those little Chinese girls adopted by white Americans do better than their white siblings. Just saying what I've seen in the classroom and heard from other teachers and their parents.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I don't understand your point. Some schools in this era of the vaunted "war on women" that leftists love to bleat about are being forced to give affirmative action to white men. When 50% of the population is boys but only 30% of your student body is boys, that doesn't look so good when you claim to be an enlightened diverse university.

But so what?

I am against affirmative action. All affirmative action. I don't care if it benefits my race or my age group or my gender. It's wrong. And the conservatives I know feel the same way. I have never ever heard someone say "Affirmative action for blacks is wrong but I support it for whites".

You're creating a strawman that doesn't exist. Before you say "where's the whining about affirmative action now?" please show evidence of someone complaining about affirmative action for blacks or women and simultaneously supporting it for whites and men. An article simply pointing out that whites can get in with lower scores than Asians is just a statement of reality. It doesn't show any hypocrisy in and of itself. Before you complain about the whining, you need to show the whining. Your source material doesn't do it.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 AM

768 posts, read 880,117 times
Asian-Americans constitute 5.6 percent of the nation’s population

might it have something to do with the fact the asian population is young and growing and the white population is old and dieing? Over 50s tend not to go to college...

Old 12-26-2012, 04:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
China had a "national civil service examination" since 1000 years ago.
In other words, literally anyone in China could take the test and if he succeeded, he got a government job and was not a "peasant" any more. Of course, only some people could afford education and succeed in the test.

Imperial examination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't understand your point. Some schools in this era of the vaunted "war on women" that leftists love to bleat about are being forced to give affirmative action to white men. When 50% of the population is boys but only 30% of your student body is boys, that doesn't look so good when you claim to be an enlightened diverse university.

But so what?

I am against affirmative action. All affirmative action. I don't care if it benefits my race or my age group or my gender. It's wrong. And the conservatives I know feel the same way. I have never ever heard someone say "Affirmative action for blacks is wrong but I support it for whites".

You're creating a strawman that doesn't exist. Before you say "where's the whining about affirmative action now?" please show evidence of someone complaining about affirmative action for blacks or women and simultaneously supporting it for whites and men. An article simply pointing out that whites can get in with lower scores than Asians is just a statement of reality. It doesn't show any hypocrisy in and of itself. Before you complain about the whining, you need to show the whining. Your source material doesn't do it.
No, you do not hear AA for whites and women are wrong because it's never brought up. When a person says AA, they only equate it with black, bearing in mind that white women historically are your prime beneficiaries of the practice but it's hard for someone to say my wife or my mother, sister, aunt benefited from it. They all get it on merit, blacks on the other hand whites in particular feel do not.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Asian-Americans constitute 5.6 percent of the nation’s population

might it have something to do with the fact the asian population is young and growing and the white population is old and dieing? Over 50s tend not to go to college...
Probably not, I'm pretty sure there are still plenty of white people being born in America. Dying. Unless they're actually making a die which is a machined tool. That's usually done in factories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies