Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,171 times

Advertisements

There is no real definition of freedom

or

Freedom does not actually exist?

free·dom
/ˈfrēdəm/
Noun
The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.
Absence of subjection to foreign domination or despotic government.
Synonyms
liberty - independence - license - licence

pow·er
/ˈpouər/
Noun
The ability to do something or act in a particular way, esp. as a faculty or quality.
Verb
Supply (a device) with mechanical or electrical energy.
Synonyms
noun. might - force - strength - potency - authority - energy
verb. actuate - operate

right
/rīt/
Adjective
Morally good, justified, or acceptable.
Adverb
To the furthest or most complete extent or degree: "the car spun right off the track".
Noun
That which is morally correct, just, or honorable: "the difference between right and wrong".
Verb
Restore to a normal or upright position.
Exclamation
Used to indicate one's agreement with a suggestion or to acknowledge a statement or order.
Synonyms
adjective. correct - proper - just - true - straight - fit - fair
adverb. straight - directly - just - rightly - exactly
noun. justice - law - title
verb. straighten - redress - rectify - correct

a·bil·i·ty
/əˈbilitē/
Noun
The capacity to do something.
Talent that enables someone to achieve a great deal.
Synonyms
capability - capacity - faculty - competence - aptitude

ca·pac·i·ty
/kəˈpasitē/
Noun
The maximum amount that something can contain: "seating capacity".
Fully occupying the available area or space: "a capacity crowd".
Synonyms
ability - capability - power - aptitude - competence

max·i·mum
/ˈmaksəməm/
Adjective
As great, high, or intense as possible or permitted.
Noun
The greatest or highest amount possible or attained.
Adverb
At the most.
Synonyms
adjective. maximal - utmost - top - ultimate - peak
noun. peak

permitted

Verb

Give authorization or consent to (someone) to do something.
Authorize or give permission for (something).

The definition of freedom states "without hindrance or restraint" but we're given "authorization" according to the definition of 'permitted'?

I've really ruined my day today by messing with the dictionary.

Anyone want to add nice, thoughtful discussion without flaming or arguing?

Last edited by JamesGTAIV; 12-18-2012 at 10:05 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Just think, you could be working in the yard, or getting at that "Honey-do" list instead of wasting your life cutting and pasting from the dictionary and blubbering in front of the world.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Just think, you could be working in the yard, or getting at that "Honey-do" list instead of wasting your life cutting and pasting from the dictionary and blubbering in front of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Anyone want to add nice, thoughtful discussion without flaming or arguing?
Spending my leisure time using critical thinking is a shame, isn't it? Same can be said for you, instead of replying to topics to be an a**hole.

Thanks for playing

Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
True freedom? Well, it would not exactly be free. True freedom would involve having absolutely NO personal responsibility, like going to work, maintaining a residence or answering to anyone. But people wont do this to have a stable life and relationships. Some sacrifice is required. Many stories have been written about the romantic, sometimes drunken drifter and poet. How many of us at one time or another have fantisized about it? Esp during a stressful period of life?

We have base freedoms, at least here in America where we have rights, even to embark on the above. We enjoy free speech and some other things and many of these are conductive to being able to put into action changing some things to better our lives without having to give everything up.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Spending my leisure time using critical thinking is a shame, isn't it? Same can be said for you, instead of replying to topics to be an a**hole.

Thanks for playing
I'm doing the wash. I need freedom from dirty clothes.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
True freedom? Well, it would not exactly be free. True freedom would involve having absolutely NO personal responsibility, like going to work, maintaining a residence or answering to anyone. But people wont do this to have a stable life and relationships. Some sacrifice is required. Many stories have been written about the romantic, sometimes drunken drifter and poet. How many of us at one time or another have fantisized about it? Esp during a stressful period of life?

We have base freedoms, at least here in America where we have rights, even to embark on the above. We enjoy free speech and some other things and many of these are conductive to being able to put into action changing some things to better our lives without having to give everything up.
Great response. Thank you.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:21 AM

510 posts, read 888,881 times
Not on this planet. I don't think but a few could actually handle it. How many freedom lovers are lining up to head to Somalia?

Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
Not on this planet. I don't think but a few could actually handle it. How many freedom lovers are lining up to head to Somalia?
They actually have a much lower crime and homicide rate than the US....maybe some of the anti-gun lovers should go there. They don't want to give up the ipads though... and the blood it costs to cover the profit margins, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies