Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:07 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
The hell is with that chart? Fast and loose with reality there. 46,000 deaths? That's a solid 50% more than average for all firearm related deaths (some 32,000 or so), 10,000 of which are firearm homicide, which is seriously the only number that matters.

Fast and loose with reality indeed.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:48 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, here is my question. If good people are afraid enough of bad people or crazy people with guns that they feel the need to arm themselves so they have a defense, why not just ban guns so they can live in peace without the fear?

Other countries who've banned guns have such low gun related death you'd never feel you needed to arm yourself or your family to avoid being shot at by a bad guy. So, if it's a solution you want, why not use the solution other countries have? Then, you don't have the need to arm yourselves for protection. Problem solved. We don't need the right because we aren't afraid of dying from someone's gun.

It works, look at the numbers. Good people owning guns hasn't worked. Good people with guns have had plenty of time to stop the violence they are afraid of, but haven't. So, why not go for the actual solution?
A ban.

I'm not afraid to live without a gun, I don't care if we have the right or not. If gun owners are so afraid of criminals and crazies shooting them in America, why not just make America safer?

Do they, or you, really want a solution or not?

P.S. There are other ways to rid the garden of varmint's, so, no worries there. Oh, and plenty of hobbies your wife and family could share without shooting guns. Promise. Those hobbies aren't worth all the fear associated with em. IMO, of course. Gun owners look a bit stressed, if you haven't noticed on here yet. lol
If you are at least a little bit rational, you would know that bad guys often come in groups and with all kinds of weapons from guns to screw drivers. By disarming law abiding citizens, you just give all the advantages to the bad guys. Even we come up with an idea that bans ALL weapons and objects that can be used as weapons, when they come in groups, you are still done. Why asking good people to give up advantages?

If you actually a little bit want to learn, you would know that guns are used in self-defense around 800K to 2.5 million times a year which dwarfs all anti gun numbers you can bring up. You take guns away, you are essentially saying that 800K-2.5 million people are OK to be raped, robbed, killed etc.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Ha, gun people are nutty for sure. If they are so afraid to live in this country they should leave. Plenty of countries with low gun violence they could flee to and fear no more.
I've never seen such a terrified group of people in my life. I feel sort of sorry for them, buying amo for Xmas.

they are not afraid to live in the USA, they are afraid that goverment will be doing more controlling, when they cannot even enforce the laws on the books already.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
The thing is, if you banned guns then that "bad guy" could be arrested just for having the guns. Most likely before he uses the guns. It makes it easier for the police to do something about it. To stop criminals.
Bad guys can be arrested for having guns as of today. Police check everybody they stop if a weapon is found.

If the person has a criminal record that doesn't allow him to have a gun, he'll be arrested for weapon charge.

If the person is in compliance with all laws, what's wrong with him having a gun?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
Any questions?

Those reverse headbutts to the nose and face are a dandy too.

Someone standing behind you has their arms wrapped around you....

You start bashing the back of your head into the bridge of their nose....they'll let go or become so bloody, they can't continue.

Can even add some shin scrapes and foot stomps if standing.

You lose!

Semper Fi~

Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
The thing is, if you banned guns then that "bad guy" could be arrested just for having the guns. Most likely before he uses the guns. It makes it easier for the police to do something about it. To stop criminals.

FYI: This is long so skip if you hate long posts. I'm in a talkative mood tonight.

If a police officer pulls somebody over say, for anything, and they have a gun he could arrest him for the gun. Right now, everyone has them, so we wait until somebody gets shot. That's one of the reason banning it works. It makes it clear for police who the "bad guy" is.

Does this not make sense to any gun owner? You never mention it, but you have to realize that the good guy having guns makes it harder to see the bad guys. You help hide them.

I don't care what you guys do, honestly, I am not afraid of someone shooting me, but why are you announcing solutions on national television that won't possibly work?
You just leave yourselves open to scrutiny because there are other countries out there with bans that have a fraction of gun related death.
That is a proven solution, while yours is not. It just makes no sense to me. Why try and come up with a solution to gun violence at all if you don't want a real solution, there is one, it's banning guns and it works. If I were you I'd just say nothing at all. It gets worse when you say this stuff like, theirs crazy shooters out there we need to have a war with. IMO, of course.

And another thing, do you think mothers in this country are going to let their kids continue to get killed? This freaks out moms. There are 10 to 1, mothers on gun owners, in this country. They aren't going to take this latest shooting easily. I would try and at least come up with a real solution to the overflow of gun related death. You having a gun isn't working.

You being afraid isn't a solution to anything, it just adds fuel to the debate for banning the things. Scared people armed isn't a good idea to most of America. It's not going to make your point. IMO, of course.

The constitution doesn't really work either. We change things in America, everyones allowed to vote now for example, things change. Our constitution has amendments. It can be changed, that's the part of America you forget about. America is free to change as well as stay the same. Plus, we don't need to defend ourselves from the government, that's just laughable now. One man can try but you aren't going to get enough on board to help with that so forget that one. It's not going to work either.

Try a different approach like, "we like our guns and want to keep them, we know people die from them but we still want to keep them." Something believable, because it's easy for me to see, that's the case. Saying it's to defend America from the bad guys doesn't hold water. We have people for that already, make it easier on them instead. You have no real stats on how many you save as civilians against bad guys, just hear say and stories here and there. Not enough to make a dent. There are way more facts on how banning them saves lives. Way more stats on how many of you shoot yourselves when your depressed or shoot your family members by accident.

You really need a new PR man, IMO, of course and just FYI. You can disregard what I say but in all honesty you really need a new spin on why you need your guns. Having no real reason is almost better.

PoppySead, the disagreement we have is because people like you refuse to listen to logic and reason. You guys let your emotion and feelings drive your decision.

Horrible as it is, school shooting is a statistically insignificant event when you look at total violent death in the country. You people always cite gun related death. The problem with that is you must exclude justifiable homicides and suicides otherwise you just skew the number. Even then, you still have the problem because gun itself doesn't CAUSE death - criminal use of firearm causes death. Let's for a second to pretend that gun causes death. You need also look at how many lives it saves in a year, which by the lowest estimate, it's around a few hundred thousands a year. You take guns away, what about those people?

Like I said, you people really don't care about saving lives, not a single bit. There are so many things that you can ban which actually save 10 times more lives, children particularly. For example, private swimming pools. What's a legitimate reason for anybody to have a private swimming pool? None whatsoever but pools kill FAR more than guns. How about drinking? Drinking actually causes death!!! Let's ban all the high capacity bottle, meaning any bottle that is larger than 10 min. Let's make sure anybody who buys drinks pass a background check on criminal history and mental health.

You know what, these two things together would save 10 times more lives without any negative impact.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
No. I'm afraid for you, me, and everyone else. You see, your nutty ban of firearms and accessories is what is driving this type of activity.

Now, some nutcase is going to have HUNDREDS of magazines, which will be legal for him/her to possess and you cannot POSSIBLY take from them and which will last for HUNDREDS of years.

You call gun owners "nutty." Yep. Some are. However, so are some of the anti gun nuts. You really aren't thinking this through and looking at the big picture. These "nuts" as you call them, are now arming themselves to teeth and those weapons and accessories will last CENTURIES. Now what?
I don't care if there is a weapons ban or not. I sleep just fine without a gun right now, I go to the store without a gun, I don't have the fear living here you do. Why would I care either way. You guys are the ones crapping your pants. You're the one so afraid to live here you have to have a gun. Why not go someplace you can relax?
You talk about this country like it's a war zone. I live here and I don't live in constant fear. I don't feel the need to own weapons to protect myself from "bad guys," that would be you. Not me.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times
Quote:
I don't care if there is a weapons ban or not. I sleep just fine without a gun right now, I go to the store without a gun, I don't have the fear living here you do. Why would I care either way. You guys are the ones crapping your pants. You're the one so afraid to live here you have to have a gun. Why not go someplace you can relax?
You talk about this country like it's a war zone. I live here and I don't live in constant fear. I don't feel the need to own weapons to protect myself from "bad guys," that would be you. Not me.
You can thank the gun owners of America for the safety and lack of fear you have.

Hopefully you will never have to worry but just in case we are here!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
PoppySead, the disagreement we have is because people like you refuse to listen to logic and reason. You guys let your emotion and feelings drive your decision.
That's funny. I don't listen to logic or reason yet your the one who carries a firearm to protect yourself from something which will probably never happen to you. I don't care what you do, really, but you guys seem afraid of everything. That is what looks unreasonable. Most gun owners don't live in high crime areas. They only have a weapon out of fear of an illogical event. That isn't me, it's you.
Those aren't my emotions, they're yours.

Horrible as it is, school shooting is a statistically insignificant event when you look at total violent death in the country. You people always cite gun related death. The problem with that is you must exclude justifiable homicides and suicides otherwise you just skew the number. Even then, you still have the problem because gun itself doesn't CAUSE death - criminal use of firearm causes death. Let's for a second to pretend that gun causes death. You need also look at how many lives it saves in a year, which by the lowest estimate, it's around a few hundred thousands a year. You take guns away, what about those people? If you ban weapons it all goes down, doesn't matter what it is. I'm not the one freaking out that my weapons will be taken away and I might get shot by a bad guy because of this latest mass shooting of kids. That again, would be you guys. I didn't have a gun before it, I don't have one now, and I'm not worried either way. That again, is you. Not me. All this huff is the gun owners fear. Fear of losing his weapon and fear he'll have to live life without protection from all the bad people in our country.

Like I said, you people really don't care about saving lives, not a single bit. There are so many things that you can ban which actually save 10 times more lives, children particularly. For example, private swimming pools. What's a legitimate reason for anybody to have a private swimming pool? None whatsoever but pools kill FAR more than guns. How about drinking? Drinking actually causes death!!! Let's ban all the high capacity bottle, meaning any bottle that is larger than 10 min. Let's make sure anybody who buys drinks pass a background check on criminal history and mental health. I'm not the one trying to protect my life with a gun, again, that would be you. I didn't worry about protecting my life before with a gun, I don't worry about it now. I don't drink either, and I don't care if others drink. I don't worry about getting hit by a drunk, I don't worry about drowning in a pool. I have been responding to your fear of bad guys, not my fear. I suggest you ban weapons or move to a weaponless country so that you can relax. I'm already relaxed. You can stand outside bars with your gun and make sure people drive sober, and by pools and make sure kids don't fall in them. Because you obviously can do wonderful things with your gun while you are afraid of things happening.

You know what, these two things together would save 10 times more lives without any negative impact.
Then, you should include them in your list of protection musts. That way you stop worrying about death so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies