Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a protest to throw Wall Street out of the Government?
Yes. The Big Wall Street firms need to make it on their own and not rely on their insider politicians to help them succeed. 18 42.86%
Yes. They need to be thrown out and many of them need to go to prison for the damage their policies have caused to this country. 29 69.05%
Yes. We need to end the revolving door between Washington and Wall Street. 21 50.00%
No. We need Wall Street politicians in our government. They are the best and brightest and top talent. Look how well they are running the government. 0 0%
No. I am making a lot of money on my investments as things are and do not want to upset the status quo. 1 2.38%
No. It is survival of the fittest baby and taking what you can get is what being successful is all about. 1 2.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Deregualtion and privatisation destroyed Russia.

A great example of the ills of the 'laissez-faire' system.
Actually it was corruption and a Big Government.

A great example of the ills of the Big Government system.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I would throw out the politicians first.
You mean these politicians?
I said get Bankers out of DC, but I agree with lobbyists being thrown out as well.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/03/...ent-jobs/?_r=0

Quote:
Windfalls for Wall Street Executives Taking Jobs in Government
BY SUSANNE CRAIG

People usually say they go into government to perform public service. If they came from Wall Street, however, their former employers often provide another service.

Banks, including JPMorgan Chase, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, all have provisions that allow acceleration of payments owed to senior executives if they take government jobs, a new study finds.

“These companies seem to be giving a special deal to executives who become government officials,” says the study, to be released Thursday by the Project on Government Oversight. “In exchange, the companies may end up with friends in high places who understand their business, sympathize with it, and can craft policies in its favor.”

The study looked at the compensation policies of several financial institutions.

So we should throw out Wall Street Helicopter Ben and the hundreds of other wall street bankers that infest DC right?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:41 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Isn't it off that Occupy Wall Street was allowed for a long time to violate Park rules without much hassle from the government.

Yet joggers were given citations, tourists held hostage at Park Hotels, others not allowed to take scenic pictures during the shutdown.

What a bunch of action for the Administrations political agenda.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:44 PM

Default The Wall Street Protection Racket - Pay off the Mafia Bosses

The Wall Street Protection Racket: Pay the Government Fines and Bankers Don't Get Prosecuted

Steal Billions from millions of Americans and it is ok.
Steal $2.87 from a public water fountain and you are going to jail.

Ohio woman charged with stealing $2.87 in change from fountain says she wanted to buy food | Fox News

Quote:
Ohio woman charged with stealing $2.87 in change from fountain says she wanted to buy food

Quote:
JPMorgan has shelled out about $11 billion in fines and spent around $16 billion in legal fees in the last few years. "This is just the cost of doing business for these mega banks."

There's the rub. Paying off regulators and settling criminal charges is only supposed to be the "cost of doing business" for criminals. When the FBI goes after the Mafia the stated goal was putting them out of business. There is no specific goal when it comes to cracking down on Wall Street. Only a portion of the settlements collected go[es] to the actual victims.

Remember, as the Cosa Nostra or the narcos consider, such "payoffs" (fines in this case) are just factored in as an expense in order to make a large profit. Remember, Jamie Dimon and his cohorts with their hands on the majority of America's banking money aren't paying a cent from their own pockets. Neither do the dons or the drug kingpins.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Isn't it off that Occupy Wall Street was allowed for a long time to violate Park rules without much hassle from the government.

Yet joggers were given citations, tourists held hostage at Park Hotels, others not allowed to take scenic pictures during the shutdown.

What a bunch of action for the Administrations political agenda.
That's not what I saw.

You forgot who put Obama in Office:

Quote:
Top Contributors to Obama

Goldman Sachs $1,034,615
JPMorgan Chase & Co $847,895
Citigroup Inc $755,057
US Government $638,335
US Dept of Justice $540,636
Morgan Stanley $528,182

And that the Government was after the OWS Group:

https://americanfreepress.net/?p=8008

FBI COLLUDED WITH BIG BANKS TO SPY ON, UNDERMINE ANTI-WALL STREET MOVEMENT

Quote:
“These documents show that the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security are treating protests against the corporate and banking structure of America as potential criminal and terrorist activity,” stated Mara Verheyden-Hilliard, Executive Director of the Partnership for Civil Justice Fund (PCJF). “These documents also show these federal agencies functioning as a de facto intelligence arm of Wall Street and Corporate America.”
This is not about OWS anyhow but about our government. Getting Wall Street out of our Government!
Why don't you think they should play by the same rules as the rest of the markets do?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
So we should throw out Wall Street Helicopter Ben and the hundreds of other wall street bankers that infest DC right?
No. Throw out the politicians.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. Throw out the politicians.
If your able to buy politicians to pass or repeal policies beneficial to yours but detrimental to the country, then you are also part of the problem.

I make no distinction between those financial terrorists that fund them and the ones passing these policies.

Do you think we should be only going after those that commit terrorists acts or or both the perpetrators and those funding them?

Explain to me how it is different and both are not culpable in the corruption?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 PM

624 posts, read 939,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Is it time Wall Street was thrown out of our Government and do you support a protest to do as much?
I think their influence needs to be reduced, but it wouldn't be smart to kick them out completely. Not only would it not be smart, it isn't feasible. I can't say I could support a protest that delusional or that radical. Certainly not if it's going to look even remotely like OWS did.

The Left needs to abandon the idea of leaderless movements. They are almost always a disaster these days. Protests without organized leadership, focus or parameters are foolish. They accomplish nothing. Show me a plan and internal structure and I might support it.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:58 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
In the 1800's, banking panics were often followed by stringing them up on lampposts.

Their replacements were usually more careful for awhile.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:18 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
I don't see a protest doing much. We need serious changes. The corporate central control system needs addressing. You have to look at the mechanisms that are allowing siphoning and controlling. There is a need for transparency and personal accountability, as well. Seems monetary reform would also need to be a large part of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies