Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Most liberals I know support cuts.

Obviously, the disagreement is in *what* to cut. There's plenty of cuts that could be made that are sacred cows to the GOP. Then, there's pet projects that most people want to cut, except each local politician uses them as bargaining chips so they stay in the budgets.
Obviously you do not know any liberals in Congress or the White House, because they flat out refuse to make any cuts. Only the vague lie that one day in the future they may address spending cuts.

When the liberal freaks cut the budget back to 2007 levels, then I will support tax increases. However, until that time I will continue to believe everything out of Obama and Reid's mouth is a deliberate lie to further harm the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I was going to write a long comment explaining each and every part of this, but it was going to be way to long, so i will try to do short points.

1. We DO have a spending problem because you could cut spending to the bone and still have deficits. If you cut every non essential and you are still not in the black, then its not a spending problem
You can certainly run deficits regardless of the spending level, that much is certainly true. However, which is better for the nation, a trillion plus dollar deficit or a hundred billion dollar deficit? When we are spending one third more than revenues, we are spending far too much. Deficit spending should not exceed 10% of the budget, nor should deficit spending occur every year. Because Congress is suppose to construct budget based upon projected revenues, it will only be very rarely a budget is balanced. Budgets should swing from deficit to surplus. Planning on having surpluses every year is just as bad as planning on having deficits every year.

Quote:
2. Believing that ww have a revenue problem more so than spending DOES NOT mean Democrats have not proposed spending cuts or dont think we should cut spending, because they have for 4 years. Im not sure if you honestly didnt know that, or if you willfully lied.
Not a single Democrat has proposed any spending cuts. They have only promised to consider cutting spending sometime in the future, but they want tax increases now. Meanwhile Democrats continue to run trillion plus dollar deficits and pretend there is no irresponsible spending problem.

Quote:
3. Baby boomers reaching the age of 65 are leaving the work force at a higher rate than people entering it. That is not a negative as you tried to phrase it.
And what has government done to prepare for this eventuality? Let's see, the Democrats raided the Social Security Trust Fund in 1968 to pay for LBJ's "War on Poverty" and "Great Society", which now constitutes two-thirds of the publicly held portion of the National Debt. Social Security is nothing more than a ponzi scheme, robbing Peter to pay Paul. If it was not government pulling this scam, they would be serving time with Bernie Madoff by now.

Quote:
4. poverty rates have increased very year since 2005. Not sure why you care now, but one of the reasons why it is going up is because wages have stayed stagnant while cost of living has increased. The majority of Wal Mart workers qualify for federal assistance. Raise minimum wage and you could kick a couple million people off of those programs and help get them out of poverty.
So have inflation rates. Since 2008 inflation has devalued the dollar by 35%. The more money Democrats print, the more people they put into poverty. The more poverty Democrats are able to create, the bigger their base becomes. They are also known as government dependent "Entitlement Voters."

Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Rarely do we ever hear Liberals call for logical and reasonable spending cuts. This blatant and obvious silence lends to the assumption that they must think that we merely have a revenue problem.

So the question begs: Why don't liberals think the USA has a spending problem in light of mounting debts and deficits, and in consideration of falling birth rates, falling labor participation rates, increasing poverty rates, increasing reliance on government handouts, and all the other sordid statistics proving that we are on the path to financial destruction?

Why is it always about revenues and hardly ever about spending?

Do tell!
OK, I'll vent. I'm a liberal. Bush 43 came into office with a budget surplus, which he quickly squandered fighting at least one unnecessary war {iraq} and his administration kept spending, spending, spending {gave tax cuts} and kept spending, no republicans or conservatives even mentioned balanced budgets while he was in office, why is that? Yeah pal, we got a spending problem, and we have a lack of revenue problem too, now do you get it?

Rule of thumb, easy enough for even you to understand, never pay out more than you take in, if you do, that would = deficit!

Oh, btw, those tax cuts? for those job creators? where's the jobs man?

Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oh, btw, those tax cuts? for those job creators? where's the jobs man?
lol, I have to laugh.... where's the jobs man?

Smart business look and base business decisions on what they think the future is. What do you do when you know your expenses are going to go sky high. You cut cost and you horde. Why in the world would businesses hire people when they know Obama wants to tax them into oblivion. Are you serious man, you don't realize that?

I talk to business owners and they have been holding back because of your god Obama. They will not be hiring on any grand scale because of Obama and his class warfare. You voted for it get used to it.

The money that could have been paying employees is going to be sent to the government to waste instead.

What's wrong with Liberals. They think tax the hell out of them and think they will still hire. No common sense or financial sense.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Rarely do we ever hear Liberals call for logical and reasonable spending cuts. This blatant and obvious silence lends to the assumption that they must think that we merely have a revenue problem.

So the question begs: Why don't liberals think the USA has a spending problem in light of mounting debts and deficits, and in consideration of falling birth rates, falling labor participation rates, increasing poverty rates, increasing reliance on government handouts, and all the other sordid statistics proving that we are on the path to financial destruction?

Why is it always about revenues and hardly ever about spending?

Do tell!
Well I guess I'm one of those rare liberals who speaks on us having a spending problem; only problem is none of us (conservatives too) know what to cut. For this simple reason, I've suggested time and time again for us to put a budget cap on the budget for a few years; this will forcefully make the US gov't make cuts across the board and actually work on a budget. The budget cap I'd suggest would be between $3.5 trillion-$3.7 trillion , so that means every program will need to make some cuts just as a real household would. I believe this method would be a lot more affective than trying to come up with what to cut because it would simply call for cuts on everything. I'm not sure exactly where conservatives want the budget at, so that's my question to you and others.

Should we have austerity cuts as it seems you guys want, create a budget cap to make the government live more within its means, or should we simply just cut the budget down effective next year to where revenues meet expenses?

Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Well I guess I'm one of those rare liberals who speaks on us having a spending problem; only problem is none of us (conservatives too) know what to cut. For this simple reason, I've suggested time and time again for us to put a budget cap on the budget for a few years; this will forcefully make the US gov't make cuts across the board and actually work on a budget. The budget cap I'd suggest would be between $3.5 trillion-$3.7 trillion , so that means every program will need to make some cuts just as a real household would. I believe this method would be a lot more affective than trying to come up with what to cut because it would simply call for cuts on everything. I'm not sure exactly where conservatives want the budget at, so that's my question to you and others.

Should we have austerity cuts as it seems you guys want, create a budget cap to make the government live more within its means, or should we simply just cut the budget down effective next year to where revenues meet expenses?
I know what to cut. Obamaphone types are an expense to all Americans. Make obamaphone lady types go to work to pay for her way like the rest of us. Make them contribute to society and pay taxes like the rest of us instead of milking the system. Widen the tax paying base so more people are paying taxes. You can't do that with this class warfare though. Businesses especially small business will continue to keep hiring down when they know they are going to be taxed into oblivion.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

Yea, the first step and as required by the constitution a budget would be a good start.

Obama and Harry Reid didn't pass a budget since Obama came into office. Obama submitted a budget but it was so bad that it didn't get one vote. Not even a democratic vote.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
lol, I have to laugh.... where's the jobs man?

Smart business look and base business decisions on what they think the future is. What do you do when you know your expenses are going to go sky high. You cut cost and you horde. Why in the world would businesses hire people when they know Obama wants to tax them into oblivion. Are you serious man, you don't realize that?

I talk to business owners and they have been holding back because of your god Obama. They will not be hiring on any grand scale because of Obama and his class warfare. You voted for it get used to it.

The money that could have been paying employees is going to be sent to the government to waste instead.

What's wrong with Liberals. They think tax the hell out of them and think they will still hire. No common sense or financial sense.
NonLOL, I can't laugh with you. 12 years of uncertainty is a terrible thing isn't it? Your answer to my "where's the jobs man" quote.
If I were a businessman, I would have been expanding the very year the tax cuts took place, and hiring more workers. Yup, 12 years of CEO's and CFO's raking in record profits, and increasing their wealth all while the middle class has been declining. It must be the story or cliche of have's and have not's.
Gov't waste like defense, thanks for that.
Only liberals tax and spend huh? even Reagan and GHW Bush recognized the need to raise taxes, so I guess that blows a hole in your theory that only liberals tax and spend. Oh, btw, a budget surplus after Clinton, who incidentally raised taxes too.

Painting all liberals with your wide paint brush is patently dishonest. Thinking liberals have no common sense concerning financial sense is dishonest too. I have already posted that as a liberal, there is a spending as well as a revenue problem. You conservatives always use your fuzzy math that never makes any sense.

Please, cut the b*lls*t with the Obamaphones ok?
Quote:
Lifeline and programs like it have been around quite a while. Lifeline was created in 1985 and expanded in 2008 during the Bush administration to include cell phone service. An FCC spokeswoman told PolitiFact in 2009 that the 1996 Telecommunications Act required the FCC to create the Universal Service Fund, a pool of money subsidized by small charges on phone bills and redistributed to low-income service programs, as well as programs that bring telecommunications services to rural areas and schools.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-phones-suppo/

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Yea, the first step and as required by the constitution a budget would be a good start.

Obama and Harry Reid didn't pass a budget since Obama came into office. Obama submitted a budget but it was so bad that it didn't get one vote. Not even a democratic vote.
Gosh, so clueless.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,608 times
We do and the biggest part is the military.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is not that difficult to figure out. While the Republicans controlled Congress the deficit never exceeded $421 billion. Yet in one year while Democrats controlled Congress they increased the deficit by a trillion dollars, bringing the total deficit to $1.45 trillion.

If Democrats can increase spending, regardless of revenue, by a trillion dollars in one fiscal year, then they are certainly capable of decreasing spending by a trillion dollars in one fiscal year.

It is not a revenue problem, it is a liberal freak irresponsible spending problem.
That's just silly. The Democrats didn't change tax rates nor change spending. The difference was the economy. Making a connection to the Democratics taking control in 2007 to an increase in the deficit has no factual basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies