Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 AM

302 posts, read 868,709 times

Advertisements

Question for OP: When was the last school shooting in the UK? We just had another one in the US yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
Question for OP: When was the last school shooting in the UK? We just had another one in the US yesterday.
Thankfully, this incident did not result in any fatalities but only one critical injury, at least so far as I'm aware.

Unfortunately for the anti-gunners, though, you don't exactly have more bloody shirts to wave around in the faces of American gun owners (or dangerous, stone-age barbarians, whatever you're calling them this week).

Just hope for another incident to strengthen your perceived moral authority, right?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM

742 posts, read 678,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have been hearing so much about how great things are in the UK since they forced people to give up their handguns. Now I see a protest against that very thing and hear people talking about how much of an advantage has been given to criminals. Those people who have over 300,000 handguns illegally after all the law abiding citizens gave theirs up to avoid going to jail. These people don't believe they did something very smart when they gave up their guns. I wonder if their numbers about guns and crime aren't a bit more likely true than what we read in the US media.

England Warns America: Don’t Let Them Take Your Guns
Same warning from Russia:

Americans never give up your guns - English pravda.ru

Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 AM

302 posts, read 868,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Blah blah blah...
None of which answers the question.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
From the Russian article:

"For those of us fighting for our traditional rights, the US 2nd Amendment is a rare light in an ever darkening room. Governments will use the excuse of trying to protect the people from maniacs and crime, but are in reality, it is the bureaucrats protecting their power and position. In all cases where guns are banned, gun crime continues and often increases. As for maniacs, be it nuts with cars (NYC, Chapel Hill NC), swords (Japan), knives (China) or home made bombs (everywhere), insane people strike. They throw acid (Pakistan, UK), they throw fire bombs (France), they attack. What is worse, is, that the best way to stop a maniac is not psychology or jail or "talking to them", it is a bullet in the head, that is why they are a maniac, because they are incapable of living in reality or stopping themselves.

The excuse that people will start shooting each other is also plain and silly. So it is our politicians saying that our society is full of incapable adolescents who can never be trusted? Then, please explain how we can trust them or the police, who themselves grew up and came from the same culture?

No it is about power and a total power over the people. There is a lot of desire to bad mouth the Tsar, particularly by the Communists, who claim he was a tyrant, and yet under him we were armed and under the progressives disarmed. Do not be fooled by a belief that progressives, leftists hate guns. Oh, no, they do not. What they hate is guns in the hands of those who are not marching in lock step of their ideology. They hate guns in the hands of those who think for themselves and do not obey without question. They hate guns in those whom they have slated for a barrel to the back of the ear."

So, do not fall for the false promises and do not extinguish the light that is left to allow humanity a measure of self respect."

Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
None of which answers the question.
If you actually expect a direct answer to your extraneous question, then I have no choice but to be rhetorical:

How come Derrick Bird, the shooter from 2010's Cumbria massacre, didn't carry out his act of premeditated mass-murder in a local secondary school or primary school in the fashion of Thomas Hamilton?

How come the UK had never, to my knowledge, experienced a school shooting before the Dunblane massacre, nevermind in the mere sixteen years since?

How come ostracized teenagers in Canada don't bring sawn-off shotguns or semi-automatic rifles to school for the purpose of blowing away their schoolmates?

How come young males in Switzerland don't steal AR-15's from their parents homes to later use them as murder weapons against six-year-olds and their teachers?

Now of course you can't answer these questions any more accurately than I can, but I'm almost certain as to what you'll blame: "America's GUN CULTURE," as if those of us who value the preservation of an individualistic, constitutionally/judicially affirmed civil liberty (and, oh no, some of them fire bullets at glass bottles!!!) have perpetuated a culture that encourages disturbed young people to murder other humans. It's thoughtless, disgusting and offensive--demonizing innocent people as complicit in murder as a means to a purely ideological political end.

So perhaps a little more intellectual integrity in your next response?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Have you not understood that in the UK nobody is to have a gun, although there were over 300,.000 handguns not turned in when they made that law. This creates a huge gun free zone called the UK. Nobody is to have guns there except for criminals. Those who failed to turn their guns became criminals at the time.

All these shootings in schools in the US have taken place in gun free zones so it appears to me that anyone wanting to kill a number of people before taking their own lives would want to go someplace like that. There are too many things that we need to consider about school shootings and you are avoiding the most important one of them, gun free zones.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
If you actually expect a direct answer to your extraneous question, then I have no choice but to be rhetorical:

How come Derrick Bird, the shooter from 2010's Cumbria massacre, didn't carry out his act of premeditated mass-murder in a local secondary school or primary school in the fashion of Thomas Hamilton?

How come the UK had never, to my knowledge, experienced a school shooting before the Dunblane massacre, nevermind in the mere sixteen years since?

How come ostracized teenagers in Canada don't bring sawn-off shotguns or semi-automatic rifles to school for the purpose of blowing away their schoolmates?

How come young males in Switzerland don't steal AR-15's from their parents homes to later use them as murder weapons against six-year-olds and their teachers?

Now of course you can't answer these questions any more accurately than I can, but I'm almost certain as to what you'll blame: "America's GUN CULTURE," as if those of us who value the preservation of an individualistic, constitutionally/judicially affirmed civil liberty (and, oh no, some of them fire bullets at glass bottles!!!) have perpetuated a culture that encourages disturbed young people to murder other humans. It's thoughtless, disgusting and offensive--demonizing innocent people as complicit in murder as a means to a purely ideological political end.

So perhaps a little more intellectual integrity in your next response?
I am thinking that Aville needs to read post by Lycos679 that quoted the Russian. I think that many of us here might learn a little bit of something from Russians who know more about real Russian history than most of us who have been affected by progressive teaching.

When I was watching the movie, "Dr. Zhivago" in the late 60s my college educated friends and my wife kept asking me questions about what was going on. I told them according to real Russian history and before long was embarrassed at people all around asking the same kinds of questions. We just don't know the real truth about Russians and certainly there is a lot of it in that piece that Lycos quoted from. I will suggest this little bit as a repeat.

For those of us fighting for our traditional rights, the US 2nd Amendment is a rare light in an ever darkening room. Governments will use the excuse of trying to protect the people from maniacs and crime, but are in reality, it is the bureaucrats protecting their power and position. In all cases where guns are banned, gun crime continues and often increases.

I don't know of any other nation that has a written constitution, even patterned after ours, that has allowed the ownership of guns like ours has. The people in most of those countries have found that what they have and don't have is wrong compared to our rights.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
From the Russian article:

"For those of us fighting for our traditional rights, the US 2nd Amendment is a rare light in an ever darkening room. Governments will use the excuse of trying to protect the people from maniacs and crime, but are in reality, it is the bureaucrats protecting their power and position. In all cases where guns are banned, gun crime continues and often increases. As for maniacs, be it nuts with cars (NYC, Chapel Hill NC), swords (Japan), knives (China) or home made bombs (everywhere), insane people strike. They throw acid (Pakistan, UK), they throw fire bombs (France), they attack. What is worse, is, that the best way to stop a maniac is not psychology or jail or "talking to them", it is a bullet in the head, that is why they are a maniac, because they are incapable of living in reality or stopping themselves.

The excuse that people will start shooting each other is also plain and silly. So it is our politicians saying that our society is full of incapable adolescents who can never be trusted? Then, please explain how we can trust them or the police, who themselves grew up and came from the same culture?

No it is about power and a total power over the people. There is a lot of desire to bad mouth the Tsar, particularly by the Communists, who claim he was a tyrant, and yet under him we were armed and under the progressives disarmed. Do not be fooled by a belief that progressives, leftists hate guns. Oh, no, they do not. What they hate is guns in the hands of those who are not marching in lock step of their ideology. They hate guns in the hands of those who think for themselves and do not obey without question. They hate guns in those whom they have slated for a barrel to the back of the ear."

So, do not fall for the false promises and do not extinguish the light that is left to allow humanity a measure of self respect."

post of the year concerning all attempts at limiting or putting any type of firearms under gun control.

repped you for it too.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM

57,310 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Two civilized countries, Great Britain and Austrailia react to mass murders by banning guns and have a much lower gun homicide rate, the US has the highest gun homicide rate of any civilized country and our reaction to a mass shooting is to increase the proliferation of guns and basically do nothing, the logic escapes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies