Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times

Advertisements

I was reading a piece on HuffPo that appeared to be a halfass joke, and the piece was sprinkled with some levity. The headline read: 17 Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You.
Then it began to enumerate these 17 points. Pretty funny stuff until i read these two paragraphs:
Quote:
3. Our airline used to pay us when we showed up for duty at the airport. That was eons ago. ...
4. If a flight is late, the airline might have to pay us overtime. If the flight is going to be late anyway, we've been known to delay it even further in order make sure overtime kicks in, which on our airline means up to double the hourly pay. We might find some minor defect in the aircraft or use some other ruse to make up for the money we don't get paid waiting for take off.
If this is true, this is sad as hell. When did this country get this way?

We're to the point where some people are not only expected to work for free, but they're reduced to pulling off a horrible scheme just to make enough money to get by. SMH...i was absolutely furious when i read this piece.

People keep saying that we don't need unions, and if these attendants belong to unions, i sure as hell don't know what they're paying dues for. But if they aren't in a union, they damn sure need to form one.

But for all of you that say that if big business is left alone and we don't regulate them in any way, they'll do the right thing, this is obviously not the case.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-01-2013 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Added link, cut for copyright

Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,004 times
because 'murica

I'll write a more serious response when someone tries to defend this BS. But yeah, #3 is precisely because the airlines only care about providing the lowest fare possible to customers... so we're partly to blame. They'll often sacrifice crew comfort and compensation just so they show up first on Expedia. Pilots make a meager salary compared to the old days, despite being tasked with getting hundreds of lives from Point A to Point B safely.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,639 times
She should find somewhere else to work and let the airlines suffer the fate of not having a professional like her working for them

Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,050,893 times
Because some people need a paycheck, so we put up with abuse.

I quit my job (security officer) because I was being put in a rather violent area at midnight with no weapon to protect me. When I told them I don't feel safe working in the area, they told me work it or lose my job, basically all but telling me they care more about having a warm body at a post rather than their officer's safety. So I quit on the spot.

Not everyone, however,has the luxury to do so.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I was reading a piece on HuffPo that appeared to be a halfass joke, and the piece was sprinkled with some levity. The headline read: 17 Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You.

Then it began to enumerate these 17 points. Pretty funny stuff until i read these two paragraphs:

We're to the point where some people are not only expected to work for free, but they're reduced to pulling off a horrible scheme just to make enough money to get by. SMH...i was absolutely furious when i read this piece.

People keep saying that we don't need unions, and if these attendants belong to unions, i sure as hell don't know what they're paying dues for. But if they aren't in a union, they damn sure need to form one.

But for all of you that say that if big business is left alone and we don't regulate them in any way, they'll do the right thing, this is obviously not the case.
It's been steadily heading in this direction for the past 15 years.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,095 times
Default Why do we as Americans tolerate such treatment from employers?

Taking a line of least resistance. It's just so easy. I push back to the extent almost of not cooperating. And when I've had enough I'll just let another company pay me more.

Don't look back, all you'll see is your own shadow

Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM

8,636 posts, read 9,149,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
because 'murica

I'll write a more serious response when someone tries to defend this BS. But yeah, #3 is precisely because the airlines only care about providing the lowest fare possible to customers... so we're partly to blame. They'll often sacrifice crew comfort and compensation just so they show up first on Expedia. Pilots make a meager salary compared to the old days, despite being tasked with getting hundreds of lives from Point A to Point B safely.
I saw an ad once that stated it needed a driver to run its jet fuel to each jet, carry and connect heavy hose to fuel up jets at Reagan National at $10 an hour.

I swear I read this somewhere and still have a time believing it's true, is the co-pilot who lost control of a 727 in Florida a few years ago was making $14 an hour.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Because the more dependent a people get the more they are willing to put up with.

Didn't used to be that way though but that is what we've evolved to.
High in debt and dependent on paychecks, benefits, many Americans are slaves to their jobs now.

I'm glad I'm retired. When I first entered the workplace there were many more choices. Employers offered benefits, pay, etc. to retain employees. With the right skills, finding a better paying/better working conditions job was not a problem.

Those days are gone for many workers in the US. People now cling to their jobs and are willing to put up with less pay, less benefits, less everything because they need that paycheck now. They don't have the 6 months emergency money; there aren't the choices of employment anymore.

More people these days have jobs vs careers that they enjoy.
People have become slaves to their paychecks.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,511,413 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;27548594]I was reading a piece on HuffPo that appeared to be a halfass joke, and the piece was sprinkled with some levity. The headline read: 17 Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You.

But for all of you that say that if big business is left alone and we don't regulate them in any way, they'll do the right thing, this is obviously not the case.[/quote. ]

Somehow I just don't think this is true. Or exaggerated anyway.

Airlines are already one of the most regulated businesses out there. That adds cost. Which means airlines must cut back somewhere. Usually customer service and/or employee compensation.

And if this is true then this attendant is working for free. Clear violation of minimum wage laws. I'd get a lawyer if I were her instead of telling the HuffPo.

Last edited by OhioIstheBest; 12-30-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,982,885 times
I don't know. I just know I would do work on a system like that. i start my pay before I walk thru the door to the shop and i end it later when i feel like it.... I add on a few hours too when the job is over. That covers some of the BS that happens and it's fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies