Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
So the government should have it then? Because there's rarely fraud in government, right?
Government should have what ? This is money the government is paying out, money they are LOSING.

One instance involved 2 women at the same address where they collected IRS refunds of over $60,000.00 and there were ZERO children living there and they were "undocumented Americans".

It's gotten so bad that illegals are scamming the government for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
I would be happy not to have the $1000 child tax break.

As long as all I could count the money I spend on my children as THEIR income instead of mine. Then I can deduct it from my taxes and they can pay taxes at the lower income rate. Hell, they probably wouldn't even earn enough to pay income taxes on any of that money. It would save me a lot more than the lousy $1000 bucks.

That seems like the fairest way to do it, no?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Government should have what ? This is money the government is paying out, money they are LOSING.

One instance involved 2 women at the same address where they collected IRS refunds of over $60,000.00 and there were ZERO children living there and they were "undocumented Americans".

It's gotten so bad that illegals are scamming the government for money.

So taking away the credit from legitimate people is the answer? As if those that are scamming the government won't do something else.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Giving someone a $1000 break in taxes takes $1000 + (plus the cost of administration) from someone else. That is an economic loss. The person who received the break may spend it. The person who lost the $1000 can't.

Do the math. One person's gain is another's loss. There really is no economic difference except that a parent may spend it on diapers while the other person would have spend it on something else. Why is Congress choosing one over the other?
What happens when they spend it? They pay taxes on what they purchase, the company that sells them the product gets income (and is taxed), has the ability to pay their employees (who then pay income tax) which in turn, allows these employees to purchase other goods and services (which are taxed). The company(s) stay in business and employment rates increase. Wins for all.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
So taking away the credit from legitimate people is the answer? As if those that are scamming the government won't do something else.
No, requiring an SS number be attached to each claim is the answer.
That was done years ago to dependents when fraud got out of hand.

Very simple fix and the House passed the bill to have that implemented.
But it sits in the Senate..Reid won't look at it for some reason.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
What happens when they spend it? They pay taxes on what they purchase, the company that sells them the product gets income (and is taxed), has the ability to pay their employees (who then pay income tax) which in turn, allows these employees to purchase other goods and services (which are taxed). The company(s) stay in business and employment rates increase. Wins for all.

At what cost to the government though ?

You people are not looking at both sides here..there is a cost associated with it.

That FICA break for 2 years cost $120 billion. What did we get back in return via economic stimulus..$12 billion. Is that a "win for all" here ? The Fed borrowed $120 billion to get back $12 billion.

So how much does this "credit" cost in terms of borrowed money the Fed needs to cover that credit ?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
The taxpayer that' stuck paying for this tax break for other taxpayers with kids doesn't WIN>
If the employee works for Walmart and pays NO income taxes, then that money does not go back to the gov't. This is another example of government redistribution of income, pure and simple. Take from the workers and give to the takers.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,890 times
Default Wait a SECOND!!!

[quote=chielgirl;27601103]Yes, it wasn't just your position - it was your comments that were dishonest - when you get a special tax credit, others pay for that.
You have what, 2 or 3 kids, that $18k per kid minimum. That's $36-48k you get on the backs of other taxpayers.

I'm supposed to be getting 18,000 a kid?? I got one but SHYT I didn't know I was being short changed!! Yea, I'm about to talk to the IRS right now!! A disgruntled citizen is not a productive citizen. I'm printing this out, can I have your name and number and stuff, you must be part of the IRS to know this stuff.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
"Nice to have" is a poor reason for the government creating tax credits and deductions.

I'd like a pay raise. But my employer isn't ready to give me one.

I wanna I wanna I wanna. Taxpayer's mantra.
Of course "I wanna" is the taxpayer's mantra. If I pay for something/pay into something, I have a right to want, do I not? You 'want' an end to the tax credits. That's your prerogative.

As for the 'government creating tax credits and deductions', these tax credits and deductions (in various incarnations) have been around for many years. The child deduction isn't something that was recently created.

How about this. Since you are so against these deductions, you have the right to not use them. No one is forcing you to. Leave your full income on the line and itemize nothing. Your right, your choice.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
At what cost to the government though ?

You people are not looking at both sides here..there is a cost associated with it.

That FICA break for 2 years cost $120 billion. What did we get back in return via economic stimulus..$12 billion. Is that a "win for all" here ? The Fed borrowed $120 billion to get back $12 billion.

So how much does this "credit" cost in terms of borrowed money the Fed needs to cover that credit ?
How much was the cost associated with this childcare credit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies