Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times

Advertisements

I just heard on the news that 20 or so jet fighters and 200 tanks are going to be sent to Egypt if the powers that be don't stop it. The president could stop it with a stroke of a pen. Congress could stop it with legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Barack Obama set to give Egypt 10 fighter jets, 200 tanks

The $213 million gift to the disheveled Islamic-led government was signed during the now deposed Hosni Mubarak administration. Mubarak is facing trial and the Islamic Brotherhood is not a U.S. ally. Nevertheless, the Obama administration is prepared to arm them to the teeth with cutting-edge tanks and planes.

A petition to halt the arms transfer has garnered more than 150,000 signatures, and ACLJ Executive Director Jordan Sekulow believes it could gain support in Congress.

However Barack Obama, newly re-elected and seemingly unscathed by the fiscal cliff fight with Republicans, may not be concerned about political repercussions and only the President can rescind the high-tech weapons shipment to the Islamic Brotherhood's regime because it was passed by Congress.

I don't know how it was passed - may be as part of a bunch of laws bundled together - however, they passed it. The United States has chosen to fortify Egypt with weapons while at the same time cutting our own defense department (if the automatic spending cuts kicked in).

Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Is this over and above the $2+ billion we give them annually ?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Is this over and above the $2+ billion we give them annually ?
I believe so. Later in the article I referenced...

Republicans and other opponents of the arms transfer to Egypt have some leverage because Obama needs their backing for an additional $1.5 billion in aid the President waived democracy requirements on in order to give Egypt the cash later this year.

You didn't think this small arms deal would effect the regular "charitable contributions", did you?

By the way - the country is $16 trillion in financial debt - why are we giving away money?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Oil.
Energy in Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM

691 posts, read 771,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Barack Obama set to give Egypt 10 fighter jets, 200 tanks

The $213 million gift to the disheveled Islamic-led government was signed during the now deposed Hosni Mubarak administration. Mubarak is facing trial and the Islamic Brotherhood is not a U.S. ally. Nevertheless, the Obama administration is prepared to arm them to the teeth with cutting-edge tanks and planes.

A petition to halt the arms transfer has garnered more than 150,000 signatures, and ACLJ Executive Director Jordan Sekulow believes it could gain support in Congress.

However Barack Obama, newly re-elected and seemingly unscathed by the fiscal cliff fight with Republicans, may not be concerned about political repercussions and only the President can rescind the high-tech weapons shipment to the Islamic Brotherhood's regime because it was passed by Congress.

I don't know how it was passed - may be as part of a bunch of laws bundled together - however, they passed it. The United States has chosen to fortify Egypt with weapons while at the same time cutting our own defense department (if the automatic spending cuts kicked in).

We always knew Barack Hussein was a "manchurian candidate" and a terrorist sympathyzer.

The Muslim Brotherhood is the political arm of Al Queda 2.0.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I just heard on the news that 20 or so jet fighters and 200 tanks are going to be sent to Egypt if the powers that be don't stop it. The president could stop it with a stroke of a pen. Congress could stop it with legislation.
In other words, we are giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Where have I heard that phrase before??

Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
i think it is to ensure the enemies of israel are fully armed, and fully surrounded.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I assume this deal was made before the Brotherhood took over. Looks like we could do something though, loose the shipment maybe? I dunno the answer, I realize there is/was a treaty, but this is no longer a very good idea.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Yep its all Obama's fault dispite the fact that congress hold the purse string.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies