Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People are quick to classify problems that are common place in low income communities as ones that are "race" problem.

Head over to poorer white areas and see how different it is.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
In poor white areas there is a significantly lower rate of violent crime compared to poor black communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There have been studies on this for years. Thomas Sowell even lived this out. He was born in the South and his family migrated to New York City during the 1930s. His first year in New York, he had trouble in school because he wasn't prepared for the rigorous education system that was very lacking in the Deep South. While Black people born and raised in NYC knew where the library was, he didn't even know what one was. He has lived this. He has studied this. I would trust him a bit more with this.

Can you come up with any other explanation as to the roots of "ghetto culture"?
Sure. Ghetto culture is a result of poor black migrants moving North into concentrated areas. Since they now were un tethered from the social restraints of Southern rural culture they were free to engage in all manners of anti social behavior. This behavior was later enabled by white liberals with welfare.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sure. Ghetto culture is a result of poor black migrants moving North into concentrated areas. Since they now were un tethered from the social restraints of Southern rural culture they were free to engage in all manners of anti social behavior. This behavior was later enabled by white liberals with welfare.

There are some good articles on black migration and how rural Southern culture was transplanted to the Northern inner-city ghettos to the detriment of the people living there at the following link:

The Origins of the Underclass - 86.06

Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Blacks would be much better off if they read and/or listened to Thomas Sowell and/or Walter E. Williams as opposed to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There are some good articles on black migration and how rural Southern culture was transplanted to the Northern inner-city ghettos to the detriment of the people living there at the following link:

The Origins of the Underclass - 86.06
I read the article and still don't see how southern culture was influential to the black underclass , since the south was segregated and blacks were not/did not participate in the southern culture along side whites. I think they developed there own culture/traditions, somewhat influenced by southern culture, but I don't see it on the whole.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Well. consider this. Most Black people who don't belong to the "hood rat" segment of the Black population have fled these criminals. Believe it or not, there are many Black people who are expressing anger towards these criminals. The difference is that Chinese-Americans and Korean-Americans do it as a group. Black people express their anger as individuals.
Yes but then those Black individuals who express such a belief are scathingly criticized by the overwhelming majority of Blacks for being "Uncle Toms." Look at what happened to Bill Cosby when he spoke out.

Quote:
And most Black people are far as I know obey the law. Blacks who leave "the hood" never return. Guess who is left. The people who can't afford to leave,who are often stuck there with criminals. Trust me, more decent Black people have disgust towards Black criminals that you know.
Then why no coalescence as a group? Why no support for those who dare to speak out?
Quote:
And there is one question. Why should decent Black people have to pay for the crap Black criminals do?
For the same reason that all commercial airline flyers have to pay for the crap a handful of terrorists have done by being forced to submit to intrusive full body scans and/or physical gropings. Think about it.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0rd View Post
You just described a bunch of young white and entitled suburbanites.
That's true. Look around any weekend.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. What I find, though, is that my lower performing kids benefit from inquiry style learning.
You really need to be careful with that. The inquiry style of learning overtaxes working-memory to the point that anything "discovered" during such sessions is NOT transferred to long-term memory and actually "learned." Inquiry learning is nearly always only successful with those who already have a substantial knowledge base in the respective concept/field of inquiry.
Quote:
This approach has been called by various names including discovery learning (Bruner, 1961; Anthony, 1973); problem-based learning (Barrows & Tamblyn, 1980; Schmidt, 1983), inquiry learning (Papert, 1980; Rutherford, 1964), experiential learning (Boud, Keogh, & Walker, 1985; Kolb & Fry, 1975) and constructivist learning (Jonassen, 1991; Steffe & Gale, 1995).

...By definition, inquiry-based instruction requires search. All problem-based search makes heavy working-memory demands (Sweller, 1988). Furthermore, that working memory load does not contribute to the accumulation of knowledge in long-term memory because while working memory is being used to search for problem solutions, it is not being used to learn. Indeed, it is possible to search for extended periods of time with quite minimal alterations to long-term memory. As indicated previously, the goal of education is not searching or discovering information. The goal is to find it and store it in long-term memory. If there are no alterations to long-term memory, nothing has been learned.
http://www.ydae.purdue.edu/lct/hbcu/...y_Learning.pdf

Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
http://www.theatlantic.com/past/poli...ty/origin2.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I read the article and still don't see how southern culture was influential to the black underclass , since the south was segregated and blacks were not/did not participate in the southern culture along side whites. I think they developed there own culture/traditions, somewhat influenced by southern culture, but I don't see it on the whole.

Black southern culture, not white southern culture. The black southern culture of being former slaves, and then sharecroppers----not having opportunities, being denied education, having many children so they had more family members in the cotton fields or orange groves, low marriage rates (because as slaves black mates were so often separated even if they were husband and wife), not owning their own homes, highly religious and even food habits. The author talks about how some of the foods cooked in the urban inner-city ghettos are more like meals made in Mississippi. Also a culture of permanent poverty and all the negativity and hopelessness that implies. That's what I thought the articles (there are two) are referring to.

And I'm not saying that motivated people don't escape inner-city poverty. That is what the articles refer to also. The motivated and the lucky black families escape the inner-cities leaving the more addicted, the less skilled, the more troubled folks behind.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
I've lived in predominantly White areas and I've seen young White people blare loud music from their cars and cause noise. It isn't limited to Blacks.
You should drive down 4th ave on a warm summer evening where I live (mostly adults). The difference is, you can say something to the white kids about there loud music and noise, try it with the black kids/semi adults and unless you are a cop, you might get beat up or shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies