Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 10:44 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,550,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
With this kind of hubris, the only thing you are going to do is anger people. You wonder why some black people are defensive? It is because of arrogant attitudes and the feeling of being attacked.
So, then, I wonder how white people feel when SOME blacks are incredibly arrogant when it comes to race?

Crazy racist black guy at Seattle School Board meeting - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM

73,076 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The way I see it, the less kids choosing fields in math and science, the less competition/more opportunities for the ones that do choose those fields when they graduate college. That means the good ones get the real jobs and bottom of the group teaches those K-12 subjects... and so the cycle continues. Seriously, what science major who graduates at or near the top of their college class these days decides to be a teacher instead of a scientist?

Not having been around K-12 schools for a few decades I'll ask, could the people that teach your kids math and science have a career in the real world in math or science these days?
Perhaps that is one way to look at it. However, there is one thing to consider. There are still people from all over the world who want to come to the USA, who have those science and tech skills(in some cases better than ours). There will still be some competition. One thing about mathematics is that it's a universal language. Anyone who has mastered mathematics could get work in alot of places, provided the work visa is available. That is one reason I want to work on my mathematics skills. It intimidated me in high school, and in college. I'm not going to let it intimidate me ever again.

A large number of my father's high school teachers had PhD's(late 1960s-early 1970s). When I was in high school(2000-2004), I only knew one math teacher with a PhD(and I got my best mathematics grade under her). I never met any science teachers with a PhD. There were maybe 2 or 3 teachers in my high school with PhD's.

Could the teachers who teach math and science have careers in science and math. I would could more on math than science. Some could do it. Some, not at all. You can tell if a teacher could have a career in the field that he/she teaches. If that teacher knows what he/she is doing, then of course. I could bet on that when it comes to math. Mathematics can be difficult, but one thing that makes it indispensable is this. You only need a pencil, paper, and a calculator(for the advance stuff like calculus and trigonometry). If you know how to apply that math, then you could get a job as an actuaries, get jobs in banking, or as a statistician. A person heavily invested in mathematics could do those jobs, provided no other requirements in a specific major.

It is science I would be worried about. You have to be BE in a science major in order to be able to perform certain job functions.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So, then, I wonder how white people feel when SOME blacks are incredibly arrogant when it comes to race?

Crazy racist black guy at Seattle School Board meeting - YouTube
Yes, it goes both ways. But I was not talking about him. I was talking about when people talk about Blacks. You are trying to deflect the conversation. That right there is a sign of arrogance.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,550,622 times
Quote:
Yes, it goes both ways. But I was not talking about him. I was talking about when people talk about Blacks. You are trying to deflect the conversation. That right there is a sign of arrogance.
Yes, it is arrogant to point out that whites don't hold a monopoly on arrogance.

Good gravy!!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I know you believe "understanding" black people is to simply cheer the good aspects of black culture and pretend there are no bad aspects (funny, though, how both the good and bad aspects of white culture are out there for all to see and no white person tries to pretend like there are no bad aspects...).
This is the thing. From my perspective as a Black man, I know of the bad things that go on among some Blacks. I know this, and I have even mentioned them on this forum. I do not think it is a matter of "pretending" they don't exist. I feel it is a matter of "don't air out Black America's dirty laundry for all to see". When Bill Cosby lashed out at a specific segment of the Black population that was committing crimes and doing poorly in school, people did get upset. However, it was because he was airing out the dirty laundry of the Black community. When Michael Nutter, mayor of Philadelphia, lashed out at specific Black teenagers who were involved in mob violence,no one got mad at him. Why? He said it in church. One thing I have learned is this. Most Black people I know will call out thugs and the uneducated. However, it is done in church, at the dinner table, or privately. No one wants to do this in public. Why? There are fears that it would only confirm the worst about Blacks as a whole.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Yes, it is arrogant to point out that whites don't hold a monopoly on arrogance.

Good gravy!!
I never once said Whites held the monopoly on arrogance. I even said it goes both ways. However, you are still deflecting the discussion. I was talking about when people talk about the problems of the Black community in an insulting or arrogant manner, it angers alot of Black people. It is a feeling of being attacked.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM

89,096 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
If you know how to apply that math, then you could get a job as an actuaries, get jobs in banking, or as a statistician.
No. Actuaries have to pass multiple professional licensing exams.
http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/
Preliminary Computer Based Exams | Be an Actuary

My other daughter is a UW-Madison graduate and an Actuary.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. Actuaries have to pass multiple professional licensing exams.
Preliminary Computer Based Exams | Be an Actuary

My other daughter is a UW-Madison graduate and an Actuary.
Well, maybe not an actually. However, my main point was that a person who is skilled enough in mathematics to teach it to someone else properly could use those skills outside of teaching.

And congrats to your daughter.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Step back a minute. See how this "academic issue" became a race, discrimination issue ?

That is happening everywhere folks. And that is how our country is getting away from us.
We are diverted always to the same "race, discrimination" debate as the source of our problems.

We have to ignore race. We have to stop counting race and reporting breakdowns by race.
And it's getting worse, not better.

You will never remove discrimination from society; it's statistically impossible.
But we'll fund the effort until our dying days.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,840,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Step back a minute. See how this "academic issue" became a race, discrimination issue ?

That is happening everywhere folks. And that is how our country is getting away from us.
We are diverted always to the same "race, discrimination" debate as the source of our problems.

We have to ignore race. We have to stop counting race and reporting breakdowns by race.
And it's getting worse, not better.

You will never remove discrimination from society; it's statistically impossible.
But we'll fund the effort until our dying days.
tell that to the op who creates a new black thread every few hours.

race gets replies and views, which is why trolls always talk about race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies