Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,578,104 times

Advertisements

Paul Waldman at American Prospect (and coincidentally and indirectly, the NYT) points out today that the only genuine beneficiaries of American private healthcare are the elderly:

Quote:
We're at or near the bottom for everyone up until you get to people in their 70s. And then our rank jumps up near the top. So an American who's 20 or 40 or 60 is more likely to die in a given year than his or her peers in any of these countries, but an American who's 70 or 80 or 90 is less likely to die than his or peers in almost all of these countries
His explanation for this privilege of the elderly is that they have access to the only system of healthcare provision in the US which works, in terms of demonstrably better outcomes: Medicare. He concludes with some interesting questions:

Quote:
I have to wonder what people who defend the private health care system think when they see facts like these. Do they assume it's all lies, part of an international egghead conspiracy to bad-mouth America? Do they actually believe that if we can just get our health care system more privatized, then we'll find that there's some magical privatization threshold we can pass where all our problems will be solved, despite all the evidence showing that the more private a health care system is the worse it performs? I really don't know.
Of course, here at CD, we know the answer to his question: that would be B), Paul: "it's a conspiracy!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 AM

768 posts, read 880,937 times
Old americans are from a different time. When obesity was shameful and looked at with disgust. Healthy people + high healthcare standards works.

Conversely, no amount of healthcare spending can make up for the obese demographic (otherwise known as the american under 40s)

Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM

556 posts, read 623,364 times
I really don't have faith in a health care system that pays for my mother-in -laws doctor visits almost a year after she died. When I reported this to medicare the response was "we would have caught it"!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM

768 posts, read 880,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I really don't have faith in a health care system that pays for my mother-in -laws doctor visits almost a year after she died. When I reported this to medicare the response was "we would have caught it"!
Thats probably any health care system operated by humans then. Administrative errors always occur im afraid.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,578,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
the obese demographic (otherwise known as the american under 40s)
Not at all - the wrinklies are the fatsos:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db82_fig1.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies