Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, my quick answer to you is that I'd pull my handgun and NOT shoot the intruder.

You've described a situation where I've come across an intruder with a crowbar and I'm holding a gun. At this point, one of two things is most likely to occur: 1) He flees the house. In that case, I'd let him flee, and then I'd call the cops. 2) He freezes, and maybe even says something like "please don't shoot." In that case, I'd keep the gun on him and tell him to get down on the floor. Perhaps he'd ignore that and instead flee - which I'd let him do. Perhaps he'd follow my instructions and get down on the floor. If he did that, I'd yell to my spouse to call the police, and I'd wait for them to arrive.

There of course exists the very small chance that the intruder would attempt to do violence to me. If he tried to attack me I'd shoot him. If that shot didn't stop the attempted attack, I'd shoot him again.

Now let's reset your situation. Let's consider something similar to the the Georgia incident about a women shooting an intruder that I'm sure spawned this thread. Say I'm at home and I hear knocking at my door, but for some reason I choose not to answer the door (note, I'd never do that - I always answer my door when someone is there). A few moments later someone breaks in, and I can hear from where I am that that person is rummaging through my stuff.

Now, what this women did was hide silently in a closet while the guy went through her house stealing stuff, and when he opened the closet door she was in looking for more stuff to steal, she unloaded on him. I don't begrudge her what she did, but it's not what I would have done.

I too would have gone to the nearest place where I could close a door behind me. I'd lock the door if possible. I'd then yell loudly "I've called the cops and they're on the way. I have a gun, and if I see you I'll kill you" (I'd yell this even if I hadn't called the cops and even if I didn't have a gun). At this point, the intruder would leave. If for some really, really weird reason the intruder decided to hunt though the house and try and find me, I'd shoot through the door the second it started giggling.
If he had a gun, he'd shoot you through the door.

Bad plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yes you might be right. but if they are in my home, then I will protect my family, myself and my home.

I guess you and i will just have to agree to disagree, as you believe one way and i believe a different way.
You mentioned 2 daughters right? Let's say you're spending time with your two daughters and the three of you are in a room with a window that looks out on the backyard (I obviously don't know your home layout) . You then hear intruders smash a window and enter your home from what sounds like the opposite side of the house. Would you really lie it wait for a chance to confront and kill the intruders, or would you kick out the screen of the window out and say "come on girls - let's get the hell to safety."

I'd want to get the hell out of there. Staying - when you have an escape - puts you guys at unnecessary risk.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yep, in the US, things are more important than lives.
Yea.

My property being taken is not worth you getting shot. So don't steal my stuff!

Your choice!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yep, in the US, things are more important than lives.

well, my things are more important than the life of someone breaking into my home.
if they dont want to get shot, then dont do the crime.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with defending your home against someone who has broken in or forced entry into your home, period. If you choose to break into someone's home you should automatically assume that you're taking your life into your own hands.
Cool, so the next time I break into someone's home, I'll be sure to bring my own gun, plenty of ammo, and full body armor, and I'll be ready to use it. The home owner will just be waking up, and wondering what the hell is going on. Who is going to win?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If he had a gun, he'd shoot you through the door.

Bad plan.
I disagree.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You mentioned 2 daughters right? Let's say you're spending time with your two daughters and the three of you are in a room with a window that looks out on the backyard (I obviously don't know your home layout) . You then hear intruders smash a window and enter your home from what sounds like the opposite side of the house. Would you really lie it wait for a chance to confront and kill the intruders, or would you kick out the screen of the window out and say "come on girls - let's get the hell to safety."

I'd want to get the hell out of there. Staying - when you have an escape - puts you guys at unnecessary risk.
no, I would get out, but I would still cover the door as well, have one of the girls go call the cops. try to do citizens arrest until the cops got there.
cops might be only 2-3 minutes from where you live, but when they are 30-40 minutes from your home it is alot different.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Cool, so the next time I break into someone's home, I'll be sure to bring my own gun, plenty of ammo, and full body armor, and I'll be ready to use it. The home owner will just be waking up, and wondering what the hell is going on. Who is going to win?

good luck getting in.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
You should always protect your family and home. Should you shot an intruder on site no- however you should be armed and ready to defend your family. Anyone against such acts like defending your family may possess an over processed mind.

Always keep your family first!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
no, I would get out, but I would still cover the door as well, have one of the girls go call the cops. try to do citizens arrest until the cops got there.
cops might be only 2-3 minutes from where you live, but when they are 30-40 minutes from your home it is alot different.
I like the part about you having your daughters escape to safety and calling the cops. The bolded and underlined part is just beyond stupid in my opinion. Why in God's name would you do that? If you can escape, then you're protecting yourself. Not only that, you're protecting your daughters - you're staying alive and remaining in their lives.

How do you think it would effect your daughters if when you tried to do a citizens arrest of the intruder or intruders, you were killed? Why the need to be a cowboy? Is being a cowboy more important that staying alive and being a father to you daughters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies