Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times

Advertisements

Why,are married people more important?
The feds,and everyone else makes it seem so....

Why can't we get tax breaks like married couples who file joint returns? Why can't cohabitaing straight couples file joint returns?
Why am I going to have to pay more for healthcare when Obamacare takes full effect? My taxes are going to be 15% more

Its not fair...and this has nothing to do with same sex marriage,because I'm not gay.
I'm straight,and single.

Also,why does married filing jointly get larger tax return than someone filing HOH?
Meaning,a single mom with 3 kids,vs a married filing jointly couple with 2 kids,how come the Hoh gets back less?

Treat everyone the same...should single,childless adults get back more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I agree with you.
There's no doubt that ,by virtue of tax rules,right or wrong, government has favored marriage, having children and buying homes.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
One argument is children from single parent homes are the ones who tend to populate our prisons.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why,are married people more important?
The feds,and everyone else makes it seem so....

Why can't we get tax breaks like married couples who file joint returns? Why can't cohabitaing straight couples file joint returns?
Why am I going to have to pay more for healthcare when Obamacare takes full effect? My taxes are going to be 15% more

Its not fair...and this has nothing to do with same sex marriage,because I'm not gay.
I'm straight,and single.

Also,why does married filing jointly get larger tax return than someone filing HOH?
Meaning,a single mom with 3 kids,vs a married filing jointly couple with 2 kids,how come the Hoh gets back less?

Treat everyone the same...should single,childless adults get back more?
Since when do married couples get a break filing a joint return. Ever heard of the marriage penalty tax?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Since when do married couples get a break filing a joint return. Ever heard of the marriage penalty tax?
This doesn't always apply.
Depending on how much each makes, getting married can result in a tax reduction.
So depending on the circumstances , it can be one or the other.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
There's plenty of tax loopholes. Most (if not all) stupid.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
When my husband and I got married our taxes went up considerably.
And the last I checked, filing jointly or separately would make no difference in how much we owed. I assume filing separately is for people who are separated but still married....or maybe for people who want their spouse to know nothing of their finances??

Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:

There is a single penalty tax as well. An unmarried couple with a SAHP pays more tax than a married couple with a SAHP.

Also, restrictive zoning codes raise the bar to buy a home, making it much easier for two-income families than for singles to buy a home. In turn, married couples have a homeownership rate of 70 percent, while only 50 percent of singles own homes. This, in turn, makes it easier for married couples to pay lower tax rates than singles.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
When my husband and I got married our taxes went up considerably.
And the last I checked, filing jointly or separately would make no difference in how much we owed. I assume filing separately is for people who are separated but still married....or maybe for people who want their spouse to know nothing of their finances??
For most of our marriage, dh and I could have saved $4K in taxes/year if we had been single (married filing separately did not help here). The problem with divorcing for tax purposes was that I couldn't cover him on my health insurance. So I had a choice of paying the government or for separate health insurance. Now that dh is 65 and I can't cover him on my insurance, we may divorce for tax purposes. It looks like my low wages as a teacher would qualify me for all kinds of write offs and credits if I take the kids as a deduction (per child tax credit, tuition tax credit (dd#1 will be in college at the end of this year), EIC, homestead tax credit....)...we have some numbers to crunch before the end of the year.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
For most of our marriage, dh and I could have saved $4K in taxes/year if we had been single (married filing separately did not help here). The problem with divorcing for tax purposes was that I couldn't cover him on my health insurance. So I had a choice of paying the government or for separate health insurance. Now that dh is 65 and I can't cover him on my insurance, we may divorce for tax purposes. It looks like my low wages as a teacher would qualify me for all kinds of write offs and credits if I take the kids as a deduction (per child tax credit, tuition tax credit (dd#1 will be in college at the end of this year), EIC, homestead tax credit....)...we have some numbers to crunch before the end of the year.

Be grateful you own your home. If I owned my home, based on the actual property taxes, I would get a homestead tax credit around $400 - $500 every year. As a renter, I get squat. But wait, it gets worse. If I owned this home, the property taxes would be $1,500 lower than they are. Is this a great country or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies