Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
They are American studies by American authors using american data.

I did notice how your link did not state the risk of homicide of illegal firearms vs self defense with legal firearms. that is what makes it biased. they have a preconceieved notion that all firearms are evil and should not be in any home and only in the hands of government.

if they took the findings of the 20th century into account with their data, they might in fact find that you are safer with firearms in your home than it is to have government to have any firearms at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
risk of suicide? that should not be in there at all, since japan has one of the highest suicide rates on the planet and almost no firearms in the entire country.

The study I keep citing specifically addressed the following 2 questions:

"1) to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a homicide or suicide in the home relative to other causes of death in the home, and

2) to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk that a homicide or suicide in the home will be committed with a firearm or by using other means. To our knowledge, this is the first national study to specifically examine the relation between firearms and violent deaths in the home to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk that a homicide or suicide in the home will be committed with a firearm or by using other means."

I can't state it any more clearly than the original researchers have stated it.

While findings from another country are interesting, to see what a study on Americans found you need to go read the study.

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
The study I keep citing specifically addressed the following 2 questions:

"1) to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a homicide or suicide in the home relative to other causes of death in the home, and

2) to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk that a homicide or suicide in the home will be committed with a firearm or by using other means. To our knowledge, this is the first national study to specifically examine the relation between firearms and violent deaths in the home to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk that a homicide or suicide in the home will be committed with a firearm or by using other means."

I can't state it any more clearly than the original researchers have stated it.

While findings from another country are interesting to see what a scientific study specifically addressing these two research questions, just go read the study.

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

5 generations of firearms in the home with my family. no homicides or suicides ever happened. 7 times robberies happened and the family members held the crooks til cops got there. guess the data doesnt come from people like me, it just comes from criminal data.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I did notice how your link did not state the risk of homicide of illegal firearms vs self defense with legal firearms. that is what makes it biased. they have a preconceieved notion that all firearms are evil and should not be in any home and only in the hands of government.

if they took the findings of the 20th century into account with their data, they might in fact find that you are safer with firearms in your home than it is to have government to have any firearms at all.
That is because death certificate data does not include the source of the gun. They used ALL mortality data. Some of those guns were illegal , some were legal. It was ALL the guns responsible for suicide and homicide in that given year. It's not biased. It's unbiased. It includes ALL guns used in those deaths. I don't know how I can make it any clearer. If you're suggesting that only illegal guns are used in suicide and homicide, I don't think that's the case.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
5 generations of firearms in the home with my family. no homicides or suicides ever happened. 7 times robberies happened and the family members held the crooks til cops got there. guess the data doesnt come from people like me, it just comes from criminal data.
You've had SEVEN home robberies at which the intruders were held at gunpoint ? Where do you live, in the middle of a drug zone?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
You've had SEVEN home robberies at which the intruders were held at gunpoint ? Where do you live, in the middle of a drug zone?

4 of the times that the robberies happened when I was living in KCMO on the edge of troost. the other 3 times my dad was living in miami.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Do you have a citation for that?

The 2004 study "Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study" used data from vital statistics , i.e. death certificates, for all 50 states. So it is likely that there was a mixture of legal and illegal guns. I don't know what proportion of gun ownership is illegal, probably less than is legal.

It simply doesn't negate their findings. You're arguing that only some kind of "criminal element" is involved in firearm homicide or suicide, and the data doesn't support this. I don't know of any findings that suicide is higher in criminals. Firearm homicide is, because by definition once you have commited homicide you are a criminal, but that doesn't alter the fact that having a gun in the home increases one's chances of being a victim of homicide and suicide.

Absolutely, it's called FBI Unified Crime Report. Google it and read it yourself. Completely unbiased, cold and real facts.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
They are American studies by American authors using american data.

I think you really need to understand a little about basic math. If you try to establish linkage between firearm ownership and suicide, you need to compare a country having guns with a country having no guns. The comparison base need to be somewhat similar.

There's no better comparison between US and Japan. Both developed countries, one with very high gun ownership and the other has none.

Result? Japan has more than twice of the suicide rate than US. Hey, you can even say gun ownership reduces suicide - I am not going to say that because correlation doesn't mean causation.

If you want to do study in America, then you need to compare the suicide rate between gun owners and non-gun owners.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 AM

A 2009 NIH study concluded that a person carrying a gun was nearly 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than someone who is unarmed.

Abstract of article "Investigating the Link Between Gun Possession and Gun Assault":

"Objectives. We investigated the possible relationship between being shot in an assault and possession of a gun at the time.

Methods. We enrolled 677 case participants that had been shot in an assault and 684 population-based control participants within Philadelphia, PA, from 2003 to 2006. We adjusted odds ratios for confounding variables.

Results. After adjustment, individuals in possession of a gun were 4.46 (P < .05) times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Among gun assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, this adjusted odds ratio increased to 5.45 (P < .05).

Conclusions. On average, guns did not protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault. Although successful defensive gun uses occur each year, the probability of success may be low for civilian gun users in urban areas. Such users should reconsider their possession of guns or, at least, understand that regular possession necessitates careful safety countermeasures."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759797/

Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I think you really need to understand a little about basic math. If you try to establish linkage between firearm ownership and suicide, you need to compare a country having guns with a country having no guns. The comparison base need to be somewhat similar.

There's no better comparison between US and Japan. Both developed countries, one with very high gun ownership and the other has none.

Result? Japan has more than twice of the suicide rate than US. Hey, you can even say gun ownership reduces suicide - I am not going to say that because correlation doesn't mean causation.

If you want to do study in America, then you need to compare the suicide rate between gun owners and non-gun owners.
There's also something about Asian cultures that is prone to suicide. South Korea has the highest suicide rates in the world. So in my opinion it is better to look at American data for suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies