Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What new laws will be passed on guns in the next two months
No new gun laws will be passed at all. 4 33.33%
A back ground check on all private sales extended from dealer only sales 7 58.33%
BG check,Magazine ban on all mags over 10 rounds 0 0%
BG check, Mag ban 10 over, and an assault weapons [military semi auto version] ban 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM

651 posts, read 705,511 times

Advertisements

Let do a pool on what law will be passed. We will skip the date and say in the next two months. I will set it up as a pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
I think background checks (including for Gun Shows and private sales) will pass (and I support that). But, that will be all they do. Really wish they would make high quality trigger locks mandatory as well (a high quality safe is an even better option).

Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I think background checks (including for Gun Shows and private sales) will pass (and I support that). But, that will be all they do. Really wish they would make high quality trigger locks mandatory as well (a high quality safe is an even better option).
I agree but what about the single mom who does not have the money to spend 5 or 600 on a small gun safe? What about the government not having the right to mandate you to purchase something in order to exercise your rights?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
They already make gun locks available in all new(er) gun purchases. For the last several years pistols came with a gun lock in the box,no extra charge it's built into the price. No issue with background checks for all gun purchases.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They already make gun locks available in all new(er) gun purchases. For the last several years pistols came with a gun lock in the box,no extra charge it's built into the price. No issue with background checks for all gun purchases.
But I can cut a gun lock off any gun in a mater of min. I guess it could be possbile to make one that was very hard to get off but how expensive would that be? I have a few of these somewhere. I don't use them at all I have a safe.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
And safes can be stolen/broken into as well. Locks and such are never,ever a guarantee of safety. They're only to tell an honest person they're not wanted and/or to make it a little more difficult for an amateur crook.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,009 times
I voted for background checks for private sales. I expect to see this, as well as more enforcement of existing laws (what a novel concept!) through executive action.

I doubt any of this will make much difference, but it will make everyone feel like something is being done. Criminals will continue to rely on the black market for acquiring their weapons.

The president will score on two fronts. Not only does he placate his base by taking action, but the threat of more action is already creating a mini-stimulus in the guns and ammunition market.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
Let do a pool on what law will be passed. We will skip the date and say in the next two months. I will set it up as a pole.

actually laws passed by congress the way laws are supposed to be written, or do you mean laws done by executive action?

there is a very big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies