Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Consider this though. Most Whites are not going to be judged according to those stereotypes. It is going to be looked at as representative of one segment of the White population.

Black people, on the other hand, have been subjected to things like:
Blackface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Birth of a Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

not to mention, other kinds of unsavory portrayals of Blacks, Black people like me are not going to put up with it. That is why many Black people signed that petition.
Have you also petitioned 48 Hours? If I were black, I'd be embaressed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
White nationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
White separatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
White supremacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What else you want to know the difference between? Oh Klan and Nazi's usually hate each other. Klansman see Nazis as the enemy since they fought against the US in ww2.

Did you read what you posted? White Nationalism is the father of the other two and share in many of the same beliefs they are smarter to change the wording.

All three believe in the separatism from other races
All three exhibit pride in the White race (which is not bad) eventhough inaccurate since many of them cannot trace their natural origins either
None of them believe in the equality of all races
The supremacist are more prone to violence, the other two will not stop it if it happens

You see there is not that much of a difference in the three and all of them have been around since reconstruction and their beliefs came over with them when they came to this country. Ask your neighborhood Native American.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,756,497 times
The races aren't equal. Separatist believe in separatism,supremacist believe the white race is supreme to others,nationalists just believe in racial nationalism....a since of pride....there are tons of different nationalist parties all over Europe in power..Italian,Swedish,Turkish etc etc..those aren't in power just proves my point nationalist parties are everywhere there is even a nationalist party in the US.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Have you also petitioned 48 Hours? If I were black, I'd be embaressed too.
What is 48 Hours? Some kind of detective show?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
When Oprah Winfrey and former Nickelodeon executive Geraldine Laybourne launched the Oxygen cable network in 2000, "the company [aspired] to be a strong advocate for women." But since its purchase by NBC Universal in 2007, Oxygen has steadily increased its stable of cheaply-produced reality television programming that exploits women, children and now Shawty Lo's "unconventional" family.

We already know that only a narrow range of Black characters or personalities ever makes it onto America's television screens. When combined with the overwhelmingly negative representations of Black Americans we see on the daily news, shows like All My Babies' Mamas reinforce ugly stereotypes about Black men and women — that we're hypersexual, combative and unfit to parent our children. In addition to reducing self-esteem, a number of studies confirm that these distorted portrayals can lead non-Black audiences to hold onto problematic perceptions of Black folks that have dangerous real-world consequences.

A special congratulations is in order to black women. Our collective response showed that we can alter what is projected, by coming together to advocate against these destructive images that are constantly broadcasted all over the world.

Ă¢â‚¬ËœAll My Babies' Mamas' To Be Cancelled By Oxygen Network (REPORT, UPDATED)

Well, I for one am very disappointed. I was looking forward to the black version of Sister Wives.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
What is 48 Hours? Some kind of detective show?
you've never watched it? Yes, chances of solving a murder are much less if they can't solve it within the first 48 hours, so that's the goal. Most of the murders are by blacks, but to be fair, this show is in big cities with lots of crime.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
you've never watched it? Yes, chances of solving a murder are much less if they can't solve it within the first 48 hours, so that's the goal. Most of the murders are by blacks, but to be fair, this show is in big cities with lots of crime.
I've never watched it. Barely heard of it until now. I normally don't watch detective shows. I watch stuff from PBS, and alot of documentaries and old sitcoms(such as The Cosby Show, Good Times,The Brady Bunch,etc)

So what was your point, relating 48 Hours to All My Babies Mamas?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I've never watched it. Barely heard of it until now. I normally don't watch detective shows. I watch stuff from PBS, and alot of documentaries and old sitcoms(such as The Cosby Show, Good Times,The Brady Bunch,etc)

So what was your point, relating 48 Hours to All My Babies Mamas?
You said you signed a petition against the Baby Mama show because it portrayed blacks in a negative light, so I asked if you were petitioning against 48 hours. do you recall that now? Did you like Wired?
Maybe you don't relate to how these people behave, but others do. Let it all hang out.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
It's actually called "The First 48".

Good show.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
When Oprah Winfrey and former Nickelodeon executive Geraldine Laybourne launched the Oxygen cable network in 2000, "the company [aspired] to be a strong advocate for women." But since its purchase by NBC Universal in 2007, Oxygen has steadily increased its stable of cheaply-produced reality television programming that exploits women, children and now Shawty Lo's "unconventional" family.

We already know that only a narrow range of Black characters or personalities ever makes it onto America's television screens. When combined with the overwhelmingly negative representations of Black Americans we see on the daily news, shows like All My Babies' Mamas reinforce ugly stereotypes about Black men and women — that we're hypersexual, combative and unfit to parent our children. In addition to reducing self-esteem, a number of studies confirm that these distorted portrayals can lead non-Black audiences to hold onto problematic perceptions of Black folks that have dangerous real-world consequences.

A special congratulations is in order to black women. Our collective response showed that we can alter what is projected, by coming together to advocate against these destructive images that are constantly broadcasted all over the world.

Ă¢€˜All My Babies' Mamas' To Be Cancelled By Oxygen Network (REPORT, UPDATED)
70% of black children are born into wedlock. Black women abort their children at 5 times the rates of other races. I'm pretty sure that black people are responsible for "reinforcing stereotypes about Black men and women..." Black culture needs NO HELP from the rest of us in drawing up the narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies