Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 AM

945 posts, read 968,992 times

Advertisements

http://www.heritage.org/~/media/Info...hart5_600.ashx
http://www.heritage.org/~/media/Imag...600&h=516&as=1

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-18-2013 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
As long as people get their entitlement checks/credits from Uncle Sam, they just don't care.
Bring up reform and everyone says "Cut the other program, not mine".

With so many dependent on the government now it's going to be near impossible to take anything back.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
In 1955, Eisenhower had a heart attack. His doctors sent him home to rest with a bottle of oxygen.Today, he would receive a triple by-pass, stents in his arteries, a pacemaker and a lifetime regime of cholesterol-reducing, blodd-thinning, pressure regulating drugs.

The eligibility age for Medicare has to change, over time.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 AM

524 posts, read 400,483 times
It's so sad. Nothing will change. The very same people that are beneficiaries of all different forms of "entitlements" are the same people that can vote. The producers in this country (the people who are working and paying taxes, without drawing any type of benefit) are vastly out-numbered by the persons collecting entitlements. This gap will only continue to increase, thereby insuring that no reform or discussion occurs regarding our debt.
I suppose it is up to the states to work on entitlement reform, Lord knows Washington isn't touching that with a ten foot pole, they would lose their entire voting population!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Medicare and our whole entire health-care delivery system is a wreck, not Social Security. To lump SS in with medicare is ignoring the bigger picture. Having lived and worked in the DC area my whole life I'm even suspect of the amount stated what our military budget is. Ships to build cost billions and billions to maintain let alone fighter jets. Wars instituted, secret intel agency budgets etc. Billions spent on contractors, one huge money spending machine. But some oldy, whose days are numbered, collecting SS in which they paid for is breaking the bank because they're ill. I say BS.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:23 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times
This is a great visual. I think wht yr seeing is the ageing baby boomer rat going through the budgetary snake. After the BBs die off things will re-balance perhaps. But that is a very long view.

So this run-up is, I bet, a mix of medical cost inflation and demand due to ageing pop. needing more medical care. Could also mean more people are becoming eligible for these programs, too...not just old, but old enough AND poor enough to qualify.

Medicaid is based on poverty/income qualifications, so as people get poorer due to the weak economy and income stagnation/downward mobility you'd also see an increase, since more people become eligible.

Defense is a BIG part of the discretionary budget and squeezes other discretionary programs, so for that side of the budget it does have to be controlled. But that is not going to address this entitlements crisis.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 AM

299 posts, read 255,793 times
These graphs do make me sick, but I would like to know how much of the entitlement increase in spending is funded vs. unfunded. It would be nice to know how much of the increase is due to unemployment, welfare, food stamps etc...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 AM

691 posts, read 771,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
It's so sad. Nothing will change. The very same people that are beneficiaries of all different forms of "entitlements" are the same people that can vote. The producers in this country (the people who are working and paying taxes, without drawing any type of benefit) are vastly out-numbered by the persons collecting entitlements. This gap will only continue to increase, thereby insuring that no reform or discussion occurs regarding our debt.
I suppose it is up to the states to work on entitlement reform, Lord knows Washington isn't touching that with a ten foot pole, they would lose their entire voting population!

We need a Supreme Court that will rule that "entitlements" are unconstitutional federal spending and have them all abolished or sent back to the states where they can be unwound.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
It is hard breaking to see this. These things can only be fixed one of two ways: A government who get their $h!t together and does something about working within a budget or an economic situation that leads to violence and the crumbling of a nation.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
I wonder why we never see a liberal who is upset at the federal financial picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies