Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Republican Tea Party gun utopia - make it like Somalia, free-roaming gun nuts with massive ammunition and machinery in markets, shopping centers, etc:
You should have checked your facts. Somalia ranks #66 in gun ownership. Maybe if they had as many guns as we do they wouldn't have so much anarchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Civilized, well-functioning society is by definition a largely "gun-free zone." There are armed security elements, and people can own and operate guns within restricted parameters...but a civilized society does not work on a premise that in order to function effectively and safely, people have to go around everywhere with semi-auto rifles.

If we all have to arm ourselves to the teeth just to safely go to school, work, stores, etc., then something has gone drastically wrong - we are living in the jungle, not in a civilized society.

This is something that modern-day social conservatives cannot comprehend, because their mentality has never left the jungle in the first place.
A civilized, well functioning society can include guns or not. A civilized society is not defined by it's guns, but by the rule of law.

If we only allow criminals to have guns, then something has gone drastically wrong and we will quickly stop being a civilized society.

This is something that modern-day anti-gun idiots cannot comprehend, because their mentality has never left the jungle in the first place.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Hesster, I suggest you go watch the OPs vid at the start of this thread.... It may give you some great ideas....
How many of the victims in that video do you think could have reacted if the situation were real and they had a gun? Or do you think in a real life criminals with guns don't show up because they think someone else might possibly have one? Hell, they show up at places where they KNOW people have guns. The odds favor the person who draws first, and that's almost always going to be the assailant.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:01 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
How many of the victims in that video do you think could have reacted if the situation were real and they had a gun? Or do you think in a real life criminals with guns don't show up because they think someone else might possibly have one? Hell, they show up at places where they KNOW people have guns. The odds favor the person who draws first, and that's almost always going to be the assailant.
Don't have a dog either do ya??

Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Don't have a dog either do ya??
Since I live in an apartment, no. If I lived in a house, I would. Not for protection (though with the right kind of dog that's a nice side benefit), but because I like dogs. I have a lot more respect for the pro-gun folks who admit they're against gun control because they like having them and not try to pull out the BS argument that guns being allowed everywhere make things safer.

It takes months of training and constant practice for police and military personnel to learn how to handle themselves in crisis situations to the point where they're not just as much of a danger to innocent bystanders as the attacker. How many private citizens do you think invest in that training and practice? And I'm not talking about learning how to shoot a gun on a range.

So answer my question. How much good would it have done any of those victims in that video to have a gun if it weren't a joke?

Last edited by Hesster; 01-19-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Since I live in an apartment, no. If I lived in a house, I would. Not for protection (though with the right kind of dog that's a nice side benefit), but because I like dogs. I have a lot more respect for the pro-gun folks who admit they're against gun control because they like having them not try to pull out the BS argument that guns being allowed everywhere make things safer.

It takes months of training and constant practice for police and military personnel to learn how to handle themselves in crisis situations to the point where they're not just as much of a danger to innocent bystanders as the attacker. How many private citizens do you think invest in that training and practice? And I'm not talking about learning how to shoot a gun on a range.

So answer my question. How much good would it have done any of those victims in that video to have a gun if it weren't a joke?
Don't have much experience around the military or police either huh? I have a news flash for you... They don't get near the training you think they do... In the video it is a spoof... In the real world it has been a benefit for me and that is all I can tell you.. If you want stories, they are all over the net, but you won't find them on the news or even in your paper.. The news only tells you about the tragedies...

Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Gun Free zones are negated by gun bazaars just a 15 minute drive away. In our area near Washington DC all I have to do is make a quick run over the Potomac to the monthly Gun show in Chantilly VA to buy enough state-of-the-art fire power to arm a Navy Seal Team!
Sorry, but knowing some of the firepower the Seals have, I'm afraid there is no way you could match it at any gun bazaar. You might match or exceed the quantity, but not the quality or capability. Weapons on a par with what they use are not available even to other military units.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
problem is, that liberals wont admit to it and get rid of the gun free zones. it makes me believe that liberals like to see people and children murdered as it will push forward their agenda of more gun control.

how could anyone truly believe that criminals will follow the laws of a gun free zone.
One has only to take a look south, below our own boarder. The cartels in Mexico certainly do get their purchasing permits through the Mexican military, don't they... And, when they buy weapons, that too, is channelled through the Mexican military, according to the current gun laws, aren't they....

It's the law-abiding citizens that are dying at the hands of the cartels with no means of defending themselves. But, that's what some folks want in this country as well. Let the cartels own both side of the boarder.....

I'm sure they'll feel much happier and safer with fifty bodies dumped in the middle of some back-road once a week or at least once a month. Yeah, that's far better than what we have now, that there is....

Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Don't have much experience around the military or police either huh? I have a news flash for you... They don't get near the training you think they do... In the video it is a spoof... In the real world it has been a benefit for me and that is all I can tell you.. If you want stories, they are all over the net, but you won't find them on the news or even in your paper.. The news only tells you about the tragedies...
I know for a fact they have more training than the training required for an average citizen to get a CCP.

Can guns help under certain situations? Yes. They can also make things worse. There have been cases where people drawing a gun have escalated a situation into a firefight or they shot their own family members or bystanders by mistake.

You want to keep a gun in your home for protection? Fine. You want to carry a gun around? Fine. But stop pretending the possibility of someone having a gun is going to deter criminals, because it doesn't. Hell, they sometimes break in with the intention of stealing guns. If someone is going to go on a shooting spree, they do it knowing full well the cops are going to show up and they'll probably get killed if they don't kill themselves first.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
I know for a fact they have more training than the training required for an average citizen to get a CCP.

Can guns help under certain situations? Yes. They can also make things worse. There have been cases where people drawing a gun have escalated a situation into a firefight or they shot their own family members or bystanders by mistake.

You want to keep a gun in your home for protection? Fine. You want to carry a gun around? Fine. But stop pretending the possibility of someone having a gun is going to deter criminals, because it doesn't. Hell, they sometimes break in with the intention of stealing guns. If someone is going to go on a shooting spree, they do it knowing full well the cops are going to show up and they'll probably get killed if they don't kill themselves first.

What kind of proof would you need so that you would admit you are wrong?

Videos, news stories, historical documents, studies? Just name one and I'll be happy to show you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies