Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by mlassoff
Would you support naming an airport after these people:

New York Fire Department Catholic chaplain Father Mychal Judge
Mark Bingham, 31, a Gay passenger on United Airlines Flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania, helped to thwart the plane's hijackers.
David Charlebois, the co-pilot of American Airlines Flight 77, which crashed into the Pentagon, was openly Gay.
Defense of Freedom Medal Recipient, Sheila Hein, 51, was working for the U.S. Army’s management and budget office in the Pentagon when American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into it.

or any of the other gay victims and heros listed here: September 11, 2001: Gay Victims Gay Heroes

Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Those people did good things.

What does their sexual preference have to do with anything? Why do you feell compelled to even mention such a thing?

Why not say what they did and be done with it?

That's what I want to know too. How is sexual preference something to be placed on a pedistal? Why is there even a list of which victims were gay? That's placing their entire being around a sexual act. Is that really the most important part of their existence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Not at all; just give it a few decades. Once moral decay sets in it tends to grow. Look at how monogomy has become old fashioned, and marriage vows nothing more than words. People (not Mormons) are pushing for bigamy to be legalized. When there are no moral boundries, it becomes immoral to think morally. So you prove with your insane retort.

Marginalized? They have become exceptionalized in media. The President wrapped his innaugural speech around the gay agenda. Give me a break! It's in everyone's face and you claim they are a marginalized group? How ignorant do you think people are to the truth -- Not your truth, but the actual truth?

Moral corruption and spun ideologies are the fad of the day. Have some fun with it. Go take some rich guys money to make yourself feel better.
So tell me, what exactly makes sex to you the be all, end all of morality?

And how is wanting basic rights that are to be afforded to all Americans an "agenda"?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
I think that naming airports after all people who made contributions during 9/11 would be appropriate.

You didn't answer my question.

What is the purpose of even noting that someone has a particular sexual preference?

If they accomplished something - in this case saving lives - what possible difference does it make what an individuals sexual preference is?

It is irrelevant.
You can't separate Harvey Milk's sexuality from the narrative of his impact on history. He is a founder and a figurehead of the whole gay rights movement in the US.

Can you really understand the impact of George Washington Carver without the context of his race?

Again, these are very obvious questions. Try a community college. They might be able to help.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Seriously, this is the business of the people in San Fran. It's no one else's business. If they wanna name their airport after Richard Simmons, I don't give a damn. I just want my flight to land safely at a clean, well run airport. What they name it is their problem, not mine.

Whether or not this is a true story is immaterial. If you don't live in this municipality, worry about the name of your own sorry ass airport.

And BTW...regardless of what its called, San Fran is still one of the most awesome cities in America.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You can't separate Harvey Milk's sexuality from the narrative of his impact on history. He is a founder and a figurehead of the whole gay rights movement in the US.

Can you really understand the impact of George Washington Carver without the context of his race?

Again, these are very obvious questions. Try a community college. They might be able to help.
You deflected.

I didn't ask about Harvey Milk - I asked about the names that you mentioned who were livesavers(and many who gave their lives on 9/11) we can discuss Milk later.

Now - please answer me. Why is it important to note that Bingham and Charlebois were homosexuals?

Why should the list of 9/11 victims who were gay be highlighted?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
San Francisco To Rename Aiport After Slain Gay Rights Hero, Harvey Milk
[shrug]

Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
I think that naming airports after all people who made contributions during 9/11 would be appropriate.

You didn't answer my question.

What is the purpose of even noting that someone has a particular sexual preference?

If they accomplished something - in this case saving lives - what possible difference does it make what an individuals sexual preference is?

It is irrelevant.
It is not irrelevant to those who consider him a pioneer of the gay rights movement (whether that was his intention or not), nor was it irrelevant to those who targeted him for his homosexuality. This is like asking why Rosa Parks' race was relevant to her notoriety, for goodness sakes.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
You deflected.

I didn't ask about Harvey Milk - I asked about the names that you mentioned who were livesavers(and many who gave their lives on 9/11) we can discuss Milk later.

Now - please answer me. Why is it important to note that Bingham and Charlebois were homosexuals?

Why should the list of 9/11 victims who were gay be highlighted?
I'm not asking that it is.

It's no more important to note their heroics than the heroics of others. However, you see to dismiss Milk's accomplishments due to his sexuality... and his accomplishments importance to the advancement of gay equality in this country. There's the connection.

This whole discussion is about Harvey Milk... Sorry you missed that.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Seriously, this is the business of the people in San Fran. It's no one else's business. If they wanna name their airport after Richard Simmons, I don't give a damn. I just want my flight to land safely at a clean, well run airport. What they name it is their problem, not mine.

Whether or not this is a true story is immaterial. If you don't live in this municipality, worry about the name of your own sorry ass airport.

And BTW...regardless of what its called, San Fran is still one of the most awesome cities in America.
Exactly.

I'm not a Republican, but you don't see me purposefully avoiding or complaining about the Reagan Airport - and I used to live in Maryland, but still don't give a crap who their airport is named after!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
San Fransisco's lawmakers are making moves to introduce legislation that will honour Gay Rights leader, Harvey Milk in a posthumous move normally reserved for the likes of ex-Presidents.

Although the legislation is being drafted now, it probably will not be introduced to the ballot until November this year.

If five of Campos' colleagues agree to the lawmakers proposal, they will submit the proposed name change to voters and it will make it the world's first airport honoring an openly gay person
San Francisco To Rename Aiport After Slain Gay Rights Hero, Harvey Milk on Guidetogay.com

It would be quite interesting if that happened. The city is known as the gay Mecca of America so it would not be surprising to see the airport changed to that name.
A man honored for this???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies