Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
People should control their own lives by acting responsibly in the first place. Don't expect us pro-lifers to advocate them killing unborn babies just because they didn't. I may not know the victims of murderers but that doesn't mean I shouldn't care about the victims.

Would you have seniors that are pro-lifers place their name in your lottery whom perhaps can't even care for themselves and too old to care for babies? Your idea is ludicrous. Why not put them up for adoption to Americans that are childless or do want them and can care for them?

What part of poor people who can't care for a child should use birth control to prevent pregnancy in the first place aren't you getting? There are many places that give out free birth control to the poor. You have no proof that most pro-lifers oppose sex education either. I do however oppose giving teenagers birth control pills and condoms along with sex education. Kids should be taught abstinance instead. Yeah, I know that doesn't always work but a lot of it has to do with what kind of parents and upbringing they have also.

It should be everyone's damned business that millions of unborn humans are aborted every year just because someone didn't act responsibly and doesn't want to be inconvenienced for 9 months when adoption is always a solution.
Well obviously the GOP wants to continue this abortion battle which keeps letting them take it on the chin with female voters. And I, personally AM opposed to abortion, just equally opposed to making a decision about someone else's life.

So, Oldglory, if you would make abortion illegal, would you do it fairly and send the women to jail for murder who took their unborn child to an abortionist? And murder is a serious charge demanding years and years of time, if not execution like here in Texas. If those women took their ten year old to a killer and paid for the child's murder they would go to jail. And if you sent all the women to jail that went to an abortionist, then you're going to have to raise the taxes to build hundreds of new jails.

Maybe we could have jails just for those terrible women who had an abortion? It probably would cut down on abortions from two million per year to 500,000 or so. Just what we need, another 500,000 criminals crowding our jails each year.

What the GOP needs to do is focus on ways to REDUCE abortions, not eliminate them. If they did that, they might have some people taking them seriously again. As it is, they are just pandering to a few for votes. From 2001-2007 George Bush was president AND the GOP had control of Congress. Was there any serious attempt to change or limit abortion? Of course, not! Religion is being used by Republicans. By the way, it was the first time in our history that a President was in power with NO new jobs created during his first term. There was an INCREASE in government jobs and a decrease in private sector jobs.

So don't think for a minute Republicans truly want to outlaw abortion--it would get them kicked out of Congress so quickly their heads would be swimming.

Jindel is correct. Republicans need to change their image. But they also need to change their emphasis. There was a time when we had middle of the road Republicans--all washed away now. There are still some conservative to middle of the road Democrats--look at West Virginia which is a Republican state on the presidential level, but still sends lots of Democrats to Congress.

Until Republicans can tell the minority right wing extremists to bug off, they will continue to struggle--particularly if they continue to be just another party of big government which they are right now.

Now don't get me started on Democrats---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Well obviously the GOP wants to continue this abortion battle which keeps letting them take it on the chin with female voters. And I, personally AM opposed to abortion, just equally opposed to making a decision about someone else's life.

So, Oldglory, if you would make abortion illegal, would you do it fairly and send the women to jail for murder who took their unborn child to an abortionist? And murder is a serious charge demanding years and years of time, if not execution like here in Texas. If those women took their ten year old to a killer and paid for the child's murder they would go to jail. And if you sent all the women to jail that went to an abortionist, then you're going to have to raise the taxes to build hundreds of new jails.

Maybe we could have jails just for those terrible women who had an abortion? It probably would cut down on abortions from two million per year to 500,000 or so. Just what we need, another 500,000 criminals crowding our jails each year.

What the GOP needs to do is focus on ways to REDUCE abortions, not eliminate them. If they did that, they might have some people taking them seriously again. As it is, they are just pandering to a few for votes. From 2001-2007 George Bush was president AND the GOP had control of Congress. Was there any serious attempt to change or limit abortion? Of course, not! Religion is being used by Republicans. By the way, it was the first time in our history that a President was in power with NO new jobs created during his first term. There was an INCREASE in government jobs and a decrease in private sector jobs.

So don't think for a minute Republicans truly want to outlaw abortion--it would get them kicked out of Congress so quickly their heads would be swimming.

Jindel is correct. Republicans need to change their image. But they also need to change their emphasis. There was a time when we had middle of the road Republicans--all washed away now. There are still some conservative to middle of the road Democrats--look at West Virginia which is a Republican state on the presidential level, but still sends lots of Democrats to Congress.

Until Republicans can tell the minority right wing extremists to bug off, they will continue to struggle--particularly if they continue to be just another party of big government which they are right now.

Now don't get me started on Democrats---
Not all females want to abort their babies. The GOP did very well with most women. I am not saying we should make abortion murder. What I am saying is that it should be outlawed for doctors to perform it. No one was tried for murder for it in the past because it was done secretly and only family members knew about it.

Maybe the moderate Democrats should tell their leftwingers to stop pushing amnesty in this country as even Obama is doing it. Afterall, it never makes sense to reward lawbreakers and we have 23 million Americans out of work. That ain't gonna happen, though is it? So I wouldn't talk about the GOP and their views if I were you.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
One of the few decent Republicans calls most everyone else in the party stupid. I highly doubt they will listen to him or heed his advice. I expect them to drum him out.

""We've got to stop being the stupid party. It's time for a new Republican Party that talks like adults," he said. "We had a number of Republicans damage the brand this year with offensive and bizarre comments. I'm here to say we've had enough of that."

Jindal: GOP must stop being 'stupid party' | Political Headlines | Comcast

Me thinks you didn't read your own article.

""We had a number of Republicans damage the brand this year with offensive and bizarre comments. I'm here to say we've had enough of that."

A number of repubs is a far cry from YOUR claim of, " Republicans calls most everyone else in the party stupid".

I think I know where I would put the "stupid" label!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
One of the few decent Republicans calls most everyone else in the party stupid. I highly doubt they will listen to him or heed his advice. I expect them to drum him out.

""We've got to stop being the stupid party. It's time for a new Republican Party that talks like adults," he said. "We had a number of Republicans damage the brand this year with offensive and bizarre comments. I'm here to say we've had enough of that."

Jindal: GOP must stop being 'stupid party' | Political Headlines | Comcast
Lesson #1 for Jindal:
People that are stupid don't usually know they are stupid (that's why they are stupid).

Lesson#2:
Never go to a party full of stupid people and say "you're all stupid."

Lesson #3: Remember lessons #1 and #2...unless you're stupid.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:

They will verbally flog him, and volla when they get crushed again in '16, he'll be the one who should have been doing the flogging.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
And some people wanted Jindal to be the vice presidential candidate. Boy, we dodged a bullet there.

Biden was dodging a bullet for the GOP?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Not all females want to abort their babies. The GOP did very well with most women..
Lost all women by 11, single women by 36. Now that looks great next to Latinos, Asians, etc..

Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Default Just doctors?

Quote:
Not all females want to abort their babies. The GOP did very well with most women. I am not saying we should make abortion murder. What I am saying is that it should be outlawed for doctors to perform it. No one was tried for murder for it in the past because it was done secretly and only family members knew about it.

Maybe the moderate Democrats should tell their leftwingers to stop pushing amnesty in this country as even Obama is doing it. Afterall, it never makes sense to reward lawbreakers and we have 23 million Americans out of work. That ain't gonna happen, though is it? So I wouldn't talk about the GOP and their views if I were you.
Why would you chose to punish just doctors? If it is going to be made a crime it should be a crime for all. If it is not a crime, then why are you talking about it? Convince people the old fashioned way--with an appeal to justice, honor, mercy, and kindness. If you can't win on those grounds, you're never going to win because the majority of the people in this nation think it should be a woman's choice. As I stated before, why not try to REDUCE the number of abortions. That is a legitimate goal and one many of us could work towards. But to just criminalize doctors for it? How more injust can you be with a law? It's kind of like the Nazis that took captive people to physicians to be experimented upon. Let's hang the doctors, but not the Nazis that captured and took the people to the doctors? Just makes no sense. Law, if it is law, has to be applied fairly to all.

With regard to amnesty, I assume you are talking about the illegal immigrants in this country. We could do away with all of them in a heartbeat by making it a jailable offense to the management of any company that hires them. Wonder how that would go over with the GOP? And don't tell me companies can't check that stuff. I worked for a division of a large credit card company at one time and they knew the last time I went to the toilet.

I don't like the illegals in the country either, but it is business that wants them here and until we punish business for hiring them, they will continue to enter the country in droves.

And kudos to bobtn with how well Repubs did with women. If they are going to remain right wing extremists then I hope they continue to reap the same resulst in the future. We need a more moderate Republican party so that we will continue to be a two-party system. The voices of both sides need airing. But if Repubs keep shooting themselves in the foot, they are going to go the way of the Whigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies