Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why carry one if you're not afraid?

I am not afraid because I do carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:05 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
One point is when one goes thru CCW and has learned on how and when to use afire arms.
Don't most states issue a CCW without any training? No training is required in my state.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:09 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That is fine, if they don't like firearms that is their choice but don't tell me I don't need a semi auto whatever because YOU don't like it. That is the problem.

Exactly... that's the liberal way.. I don't like so you're not going to have it either. Conservatives do this too though. (war on drugs)

People need to shut their mouths about things they've never done, never experienced, and only know through "hersay" ... get half these liberals out to gun safety course and get them on the range and I bet you could change their minds.

I've seen a lot of people who carry staunch opinions about one issue or another have their mind changed under the face of actual experience. It's like having a preconceived notion about someone based on how they look or what other people have said about them without meeting them in person....

I hardly ever carry because I live in a low crime area. When I do carry it's because I like going shooting and it's my right and I want to make sure the nanny state liberals don't step on that right.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Don't most states issue a CCW without any training? No training is required in my state.

most states require training, unless that state is a Constitutional carry state.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:18 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I assume its possible at most times that there may be some nut job with a gun around. Though 8 million divided about US population of adults. . .and then just because people have a permit, doesn't mean they carry 100% of the time. . . and some permit holders die (for example) . . .

it probably doesn't happen that often.

wow, your bad at math. At 242 million adults. . with only 8 million permits. .not all permit holders carry at all times. . . .chances are good it can happen at some point. . but not "often" by any stretch of the word.

unless you mean within a 5 mile radius . . .i'm talking a reasonable proximity.

The chance of me encountering a crazy killer is a lot lower than encountering a idiot with a gun who drops it and shoots a family member. So yeah, I wouldn't hang around you if I knew. I don't trust you. For every "trained" person there is 3 idiots out there who get shot in the head by a 2 year old in walmart

ARE YOU F'n HIGH? 100 children die a year from accidental shootings. Guns in home are 22 times more likely to shoot someone on Accident than on purpose. Why the F' would concealed carry be any better.
Pools are 10 times more likely to kill a child than a gun

Old 04-30-2015, 10:20 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
ARE YOU F'n HIGH? 100 children die a year from accidental shootings. Guns in home are 22 times more likely to shoot someone on Accident than on purpose. Why the F' would concealed carry be any better.
Here's another that has a complete lack of knowledge on the subject

Bearing Arms Hillary Equates Gun Owners With Terrorists, Says They Are "Prone to Violence." - Bearing Arms

Old 04-30-2015, 11:04 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have no problem with concealed carry by trained, level-headed and mentally competent individuals.

Unfortunately there are way too many idiots, hotheads, and careless people running around who don't use or store their firearms properly.
You are surrounded by millions of CC holders....think about it....

Old 04-30-2015, 11:11 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
With over 8 million active concealed carry licences in the U.S. do you think that you never are around guns? As you navigate your daily life, when you are at the grocery store, when you go to K-mart, while you are waiting to get your haircut, when you are at your kids soccer game, chances are that often you are in close proximity to a handgun. I often think when I look at people, which ones would have a problem with me sitting 4ft from them if they new I was carrying, and which ones would feel safer knowing there is an armed and trained person near them.
My point is this ... this all happens everyday, without incident. We are bound by law to keep it concealed and never pull it out unless an aggravated felony is occuring to us, or those around us.
We have chosen to make personal safety our responsibility.
We are your friends.
Waste of breath trying to explain to the hoplophobes. They're irrational on the subject, they prefer dependency.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:21 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why carry one if you're not afraid?
I am not afraid of going about the ordinary affairs of life so I almost never carry a firearm. It's simply not necessary where I go.

In my experience, the odds of being able to use it during an assault are pretty minimal to begin with. Most of the time you are not going to have any warning whatsoever. Consider the case of President Reagan -- a bad guy was able to walk up in broad daylight and shoot the president and several other people, despite the fact that there were armed and highly trained Secret Service agents standing right next to him.

I have two other acquaintances who've been shot while carrying. It's not that they weren't alert and able bodied, they just didn't have any opportunity because the attacks came out of the blue.

That being said, I do keep firearms in our homes and place of business. Yes, an attack without warning could happen there, too, but I believe that with our particular setup (alarms, cameras, dogs, lighting, superior knowledge of the premises, etc.) there's a reasonable chance that I could respond to a determined intruder.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:22 AM

50,309 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I originally started this thread in the beginning of 2013. Now just over two years later, consealed carry licenses have grown from 8 million, to over 11 million in the US. A 36% increase in two years.
In my original post, the point I was trying to make is that everyone crosses paths with CCW carriers, and they have no idea. This happens everyday without issues. Very rarely are licenses to carry revoked. That means that the people who choose to take the responsibility, are acting responsible.
That number is about to sky rocket if the Courts will get out of the way here in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies